Here is a stat that will surprise some people

And while we are shattering stereotypes, let me throw this one out:

We have had 13 OL drafted since 2004. Ten of them (77%) have been from South Florida.
Miami UF, and Fsu combined for 29 since 2010. I wonder how many are from South Florida.

Advertisement
Interesting

How many NFLers do we have right now? I’m not hating, I think there’s some interesting cases.

Hope we learn a lot. Donaldson only gets hype and excuses because of his star ranking so hopefully this year we see him make a big jump.

We definitely have some talent but we just haven’t seen enough from the yet. Scaife looks like he could be really really good despite some (expected) struggles last year
Donaldson, Campbell, Scaife & Reed physically have the upside of NFL players, whether they get drafted remains to be seen. I think all 4 of them could potentially make it to the next level, our fans just think if you're not a 1st round pick you automatically suck, but even undrafted guys like Denver Kirkland make their way to the league.

Coach Barry will have a big task in developing those guys, plus Gaynor, Herbert & Hillery. Our issue is usually even when we get the players we rarely have competent coaches that do their job & get them ready, I'm hoping that changes with this new staff.

Interesting

How many NFLers do we have right now? I’m not hating, I think there’s some interesting cases.

Hope we learn a lot. Donaldson only gets hype and excuses because of his star ranking so hopefully this year we see him make a big jump.

We definitely have some talent but we just haven’t seen enough from the yet. Scaife looks like he could be really really good despite some (expected) struggles last year
We were tied 4th with Ohio state with most active players on nfl rosters this year

I'm sure there will be 1-2 guys that make it. But, I think Searels may have been sub-par at identifying OL talent (or maybe just signing it). Dude only targeted interior prospects and then reached when he couldn't find the right tackle prospects.
Searels is definitely a part to blame but look at richt’s history he typically doesn’t know how to recruit the oline that well and consistently. With that being said he did bring in some talent to work with but we need more

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have talent enough on the Oline to win now. In the right offense coached properly.

But the quality the last half of the period under discussion is not the same as the quality the first half. I don’t think it’s even a question. Those were some dominant lines back then

We have talent enough on the Oline to win now. In the right offense coached properly.

But the quality the last half of the period under discussion is not the same as the quality the first half. I don’t think it’s even a question. Those were some dominant lines back then
Not the same but it’s more than enough if proper playcalling and modern schemes are used. Richt was a sh*tyy playcaller and it exposed the oline group’s weaknesses and put them in bad situations. Teams literally knew exactly what we were running every play. Hard to block efficiently like that

Advertisement
meaning we have some good players who had talent but had ****** college coaches and NFL scouts saw the potential and drated them

Our most dominant line ever (2001) didn't do much in the pros. Sherko was a CFL guy. Bibla lasted three years, Gonzalez lasted four years, Romberg lasted five years. The only consistent starter was McKinnie. They overachieved in college.

By comparison, look at our 2013 line. Brandon Linder is the highest paid center in NFL history. Ereck Flowers, while extremely disappointing, has started 55 games and he's still 24 years old. Seantrel Henderson has started 28 games despite a ton of injuries and just signed a 1-year, $4.5 million extension. Feliciano started four games last year.

Talent is not the issue. It's been development and scheme.

And while we are shattering stereotypes, let me throw this one out:

We have had 13 OL drafted since 2004. Ten of them (77%) have been from South Florida.
☝️Not to shabby overall D$. Breaking it down, that's about 1 per year give or take.

Advertisement
How about just 9

Can you show names? Pro Bowls? Starts? Still in the league? My point is getting drafted in 6-7 round is different from 1-5 rounds...staying in the league and actually producing. UFag who teaches their OL to block each other during plays has more

Advertisement
Donaldson, Campbell, Scaife & Reed physically have the upside of NFL players, whether they get drafted remains to be seen. I think all 4 of them could potentially make it to the next level, our fans just think if you're not a 1st round pick you automatically suck, but even undrafted guys like Denver Kirkland make their way to the league.

Coach Barry will have a big task in developing those guys, plus Gaynor, Herbert & Hillery. Our issue is usually even when we get the players we rarely have competent coaches that do their job & get them ready, I'm hoping that changes with this new staff.
Yeah man I’m with you there.

Honestly it seems to be a theme with us for a while now.

We aren’t producing first rounders but we still fill up NFL rosters. Sneaks up on you a bit.

Our most dominant line ever (2001) didn't do much in the pros. Sherko was a CFL guy. Bibla lasted three years, Gonzalez lasted four years, Romberg lasted five years. The only consistent starter was McKinnie. They overachieved in college.

By comparison, look at our 2013 line. Brandon Linder is the highest paid center in NFL history. Ereck Flowers, while extremely disappointing, has started 55 games and he's still 24 years old. Seantrel Henderson has started 28 games despite a ton of injuries and just signed a 1-year, $4.5 million extension. Feliciano started four games last year.

Talent is not the issue. It's been development and scheme.
That’s some amazing **** right there when you really think about it. Well put, D.

Advertisement
Back