Henry Parrish, 2020 RB

Here are the South Florida tailbacks who have signed/enrolled at UM since 2000. I didn't include backs who are still here, like Cam'ron Harris. Fifty percent (50%) had a 1K yard season, and Homer had two 960+ yard seasons:

Willis McGahee
Frank Gore

Tyrone Moss
Charlie Jones
Damien Berry
Lamar Miller
Eduardo Clements
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby

Trayone Gray
Mark Walton
Travis Homer

And here is the same list for non-South Florida backs. None of them had a 1K season. That is 0/14:

JR Mounts
Derron Thomas
Andrew Johnson
Kylan Robinson
Javarris James
Lee Chambers
Graig Cooper
Shawnbrey McNeal
Mike James
Storm Johnson
Darion Hall
Dallas Crawford
Danny Dillard
Gus Edwards

So, yes, backs come from everywhere. But at Miami, our best backs of this millennium all came from South Florida. If a guy is putting up freakish numbers like Parrish, at the highest level of competition, we should recruit him hard.

I get your point. Just a question why did you leave Portis off the list? Ran for 1200 in '01 and was from Gainesville High.

Edit: NVM I see your sample is just 2000

Advertisement
Here are the South Florida tailbacks who have signed/enrolled at UM since 2000. I didn't include backs who are still here, like Cam'ron Harris. Fifty percent (50%) had a 1K yard season, and Homer had two 960+ yard seasons:

Willis McGahee
Frank Gore

Tyrone Moss
Charlie Jones
Damien Berry
Lamar Miller
Eduardo Clements
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby

Trayone Gray
Mark Walton
Travis Homer

And here is the same list for non-South Florida backs. None of them had a 1K season. That is 0/14:

JR Mounts
Derron Thomas
Andrew Johnson
Kylan Robinson
Javarris James
Lee Chambers
Graig Cooper
Shawnbrey McNeal
Mike James
Storm Johnson
Darion Hall
Dallas Crawford
Danny Dillard
Gus Edwards

So, yes, backs come from everywhere. But at Miami, our best backs of this millennium all came from South Florida. If a guy is putting up freakish numbers like Parrish, at the highest level of competition, we should recruit him hard.

First, you're just taking Miami and not looking how other schools go into other states all the time around the country and find difference making RBs, or even serviceable RBs, which many of the above you listed were. So that's on the previous staffs inability to evaluate.

Second, can we stop using 1K as some sort of threshold in college. If RBs get carries at even average schools they're getting to 1K or close to it. It's pretty hard not to unless your a bottom dweller and even then those schools produce close to or over 1K RBs, or wait for it, you have multiple "elite" RBs splitting carries. That threshold is just silly. It's just about number of carries in college that allow a player to get their yardage numbers.

And out of all the RBs you listed Willis, Frank, Duke and Lamar are what I would consider national championship level RBs. One maybe two of the others could start on teams that win it all, but the rest of the offense would need to be stacked.

So to bring this full circle this is why you slow play RBs like Henry Parrish. He's not elite. Just because he's from SFL doesn't make him elite no matter how many times you bang the desk. The Henry Parrish's of the world exist in many states, including more in Florida. We already have one elite back and I love how since then the staff is being greedy, and saying let's get two elite backs at the cost of missing out on player of Parrish's caliber. Now in August if the staff says due to roster composition we want a 2nd RB that isn't elite then fine, we have plenty of time to find a player of comparable in talent to the SFL players you listed above - serviceable backs who will put up numbers if they get the carries.

Again, out of all the positions to die on a hill for in SFL RB shouldn't be it.

Last edited:
Of course this kid is butthurt, we told him he couldn't commit because we liked a bigger prospect even though everyone in this world knew Knighton wasn't going to come. Parrish said he's done with Miami but as we all know, time heals all and these south florida kids change their minds daily. If I'm Manny, I would admit a mistake and put the full court press on him. Long way to go till signing day.

Advertisement
First, you're just taking Miami and not looking how other schools go into other states all the time around the country and find difference making RBs, or even serviceable RBs, which many of the above you listed were. So that's on the previous staffs inability to evaluate.

Other schools don't matter. This is about Miami's recruiting strategy. It's a lot easier for us to get studs locally than studs nationally. The results speak to that.

Second, can we stop using 1K as some sort of threshold in college. If RBs get carries at even average schools they're getting to 1K or close to it.

If 1K is a low bar, why haven't any of the fourteen (14) backs we've signed from outside South Florida hit that benchmark? We are 0/14 this millennium when we leave South Florida.

So to bring this full circle this is why you slow play RBs like Henry Parrish. He's not elite.

Why is he not elite? His numbers are elite against the best competition. The list of players who have put up 2,000 yards at 10 ypc against big school competition is very, very small. When you watch his film, he is not running in a straight-line through giant holes. He makes people miss consistently.

Athletic testing is almost pointless when it comes to running back. If all you got for Parrish is that he's not a strong athletic tester, may I suggest looking at Dalvin Cook, James Connor, Kareem Hunt, Matt Dayes (maybe a nice comp for Parrish), Tarik Cohen, among many others. All in the bottom 25% of athletic testers in the NFL at their position, most of them in the bottom 10%. It just doesn't matter.

I am not sure what else it'd be for Parrish. His numbers are out of control against the highest of competition.

It's amazing how somehow this site somehow turns Parrish into a must have. Reality is we'll be okay with just 1 back and we have plenty of time to get an equally talented or better 2nd RB than Parrish if the staff chooses. All because one person beats the drum over and over again for him like he has in the past for many SFL players (and who end up being unproductive as well).
Athletic testing is almost pointless when it comes to running back. If all you got for Parrish is that he's not a strong athletic tester, may I suggest looking at Dalvin Cook, James Connor, Kareem Hunt, Matt Dayes (maybe a nice comp for Parrish), Tarik Cohen, among many others. All in the bottom 25% of athletic testers in the NFL at their position, most of them in the bottom 10%. It just doesn't matter.

I am not sure what else it'd be for Parrish. His numbers are out of control against the highest of competition.
its hard to believe dalvin cooks atheltic numbers declined as much as they did because if I remember correctly he was an elite tester at the position in his recruiting year

Advertisement
After talking to a few sources since the Asa Martin transfer, the initial take from Parrish and his family is that they are done with Miami and happy with Pitt. The only way he leaves is if it is for a Bama/UGA/Clemson type. So not good for UM if they decide they want Parrish after all and there would be heavy-lifting to do, but we'll see what happens if/when Miami starts to press him.
Why didn’t you ask why it is too late for Miami but not too late for those schools?

its hard to believe dalvin cooks atheltic numbers declined as much as they did because if I remember correctly he was an elite tester at the position in his recruiting year
Regardless of his questionable measurables, the point still stands. The evidence that athletic testing really doesn't matter is pretty wide spread, even if you can question the validity of a player here or there in one event or another.

FWIW - Dalvin Cook's Pro Day numbers weren't much better, if at all, then his combine numbers. He's just a baller, man.

If you look at South Florida backs in particular...doesn't matter the level they went to...lots of them were poor athletic testers of recent vintage.

Advertisement
Lmao yeah right. These guys will never ask those type of questions. Scared to ruin relationships apparently
Who cares about a relationship with a recruit who is not coming to Miami if you are reporting for Miami?

What’s the worst that happens, you ask a real question, he gets offended and stops answering your calls, than you have a player ignoring you who committed to another school who isn’t coming to the school your report about any way, so what..

Willis McGahee
Frank Gore

Tyrone Moss
Charlie Jones
Damien Berry
Lamar Miller
Eduardo Clements
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby

Trayone Gray
Mark Walton
Travis Homer

JR Mounts
Derron Thomas
Andrew Johnson
Kylan Robinson
Javarris James
Lee Chambers
Graig Cooper
Shawnbrey McNeal
Mike James
Storm Johnson
Darion Hall
Dallas Crawford
Danny Dillard
Gus Edwards

If you extended this analysis to include say...Top 5 Dade/Broward Florida backs that went elsewhere...you'd see how many of these misses end up becoming long time starters somewhere in the college game and majority end up pros, too. South Florida backs become very safe bets. Not sure why anyone would fade one.

Some people really be acting like there is no chance that Miami can find another good RB to pair up with Chaney. That being said if Parrish does not want to come than, that's his loss. He is gonna miss out playing for a great team that is his home and get smack by us every year

Advertisement
Other schools don't matter. This is about Miami's recruiting strategy. It's a lot easier for us to get studs locally than studs nationally. The results speak to that.

If 1K is a low bar, why haven't any of the fourteen (14) backs we've signed from outside South Florida hit that benchmark? We are 0/14 this millennium when we leave South Florida.

Why is he not elite? His numbers are elite against the best competition. The list of players who have put up 2,000 yards at 10 ypc against big school competition is very, very small. When you watch his film, he is not running in a straight-line through giant holes. He makes people miss consistently.

I literally told you, the previous staffs didn't evaluate well.

And kid, if you don't understand why he isn't elite you have no idea how to pair measurables with what you're seeing on tape. But congrats, you just outed yourself.

Athletic testing is part of it. Then you use that and look at the tape & identify balance, vision, feet & how often a high school kid who tests average & then is able to bounce outside even though he can't do that at the next level. That's where you start. That's an initial hint. People seem to not understand how "top talent teams" in high school is a silly notion. You're looking for characteristics, as even most supposed high level teams still are mostly littered w/kids who will never play again & are the scariest teams to scout - a lot of solid kids skewing evaluation because that.

Agreed they are both better RB recruits and worth some recruiting effort, but when do you cut bait on them and accept a commit from a kid like Parrish? I'm all for the staff shooting their shot with these recruits because of the talent, but I would hate to see us miss out on a guy like Parrish (or even Holmes if he's set on offense) because we kept him on the back-burner for too long waiting for one of these guys to tell us "thanks, but no thanks."

Knighton has said Miami is up there on the schools recruiting him hard, but he was previously an OU commit (supposedly they are still in his top 5) and he just named Clemson as his favorite. Not surprisingly for a Lakeland kid, Bowman named UiF the favorite. Maybe kicking in UiF's teeth Game 1 helps our chances, but it's more likely he's a 5-star from Central Florida who's getting a bag bigger than an @Paranos 's swimsuit model.

It's not like Lakeland and Deerfield kids have been knocking down the doors to play here the last decade. Personally, I don't think we have much of a chance with either Knighton or Bowman (especially not Bowman).

I’m from Polk County.

The only way we get guys from there is if they HATE the turds.

We usually don’t pull guys who have them as a finalist on their list.

HUGE **** base up here. My alma mater is in the same district and orange and blue is our colors. Lakeland has been a **** pipeline for years.

Slow playing a guy like Parrish for a shot at a Lakeland recruit that is even considering the turds is poor strategy.

I feel you but just because he committed elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean we can't flip him or just because he's good doesn't mean that the staff likes him a lot.

The kids highlights from last season doesn't look special at all imo. They look so so compared to other RBs but at the end of the day he produces. He's not flashy but he gets the job done.

Was Edge a testing freak?

Did he blow you away with his highlights?

I think the answer to both is no. When I watch Edge highlights, he has nice cuts, good speed, and runs with strength. But he never wowed you with any one run. He was ALWAYS getting 5, 10, and 15 yard runs. Every now and then he would house a long one.

Some guys just have a knack for piling up yards. They don’t have Reggie Bush or Adrian Peterson highlights. But at the end of the game they got a 150-200 yards.

Parrish looks like one of these guys. Just a real football players.

Slow playing guys like him is why we end up with depth problems all over the place. Then we end up with 1 or 0 takes for cycles in a row, overcompensate and over sign, resulting in unbalanced teams and desperation 2 Star signings.

You build depth from the bottom up with PRODUCTIVE players who WANT IN. These type guys will give us strong balanced teams that dominate the coastal.

We not gonna beat Bama, Clemson, and uga overnight. You have to start somewhere and I think this way of thinking is the foundation.

Take strong talent that may not be the hyper elite, but produces. Recruit the top guys hard but stay in touch with the less heralded producers. DEVELOP who you sign and design the plays for them. No square pegging.

We could be winning 10 games annually, dominating the coastal and playing major bowls YEARLY even with the disadvantages we have in the bag game.

It’s troubling to me Miami doesn’t understand how this can make us strong.

Diaz seems to be taking steps in the right direction. How efully we keep improving.

Advertisement
Back