Has our NFL U reputation hurt our ability to keep players for 4 years?

darius19

Recruit
Banned
I don’t understand how it seems like no other team has the issues we have in players, even fringe NFL players, leaving after their junior year when they could clearly stay to improve their draft stock and help the team.

imagine even having a guy like Bandy back this year, a good college corner. the list is endless but just curious - how do you guys think we break the cycle going forward?

By the way I know some of the answers are going to be “bags” but let’s be real that can’t be the only factor - Miami probably also gives out cash on the low just not on the scale of the big SEC schools . I think there’s other factors at play but the NFL U one is something which kind of has hurt in this regard. Kids come to Miami thinking 3 and out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Players definitely look at Miami as a pit stop on their way to the NFL. But that's how most players worth a **** look at big time college football these days. Our problem is we don't maximize players while they're on campus. Players leave early all over the country; at a record rate these days. We just need to get more out of players while they're here.

We absolutely have to start doing it from now on and especially this year. Imagine having Garvin and Rousseau last last year. Imagine having Rousseau on this team right now. Bandy would be helping tremendously. It has to stop. We could be potentially looking at an extremely talented and experienced defense next year.

Players definitely look at Miami as a pit stop on their way to the NFL. But that's how most players worth a **** look at big time college football these days. Our problem is we don't maximize players while they're on campus. Players leave early all over the country; at a record rate these days. We just need to get more out of players while they're here.
So then why does Etienne stay at Clemson, or Devonta Smith at Bama. But then when it comes to guys like Blades, Bolden, Silvera, Phillips, etc. The general consensus on the board is that they’re as good as gone. For what? A 5th round selection?

Economics comes into the question. South Florida being where most of our players are from and median salaries being below the national average I think definitely plays a huge role in the problem of leaving early. A kid like Bandy left cuz his family needed him to financially assist them and he likely figured it was worth the risk to go into the draft, even a practice squad player makes 5k a week.

Advertisement
I don’t understand how it seems like no other team has the issues we have in players, even fringe NFL players, leaving after their junior year when they could clearly stay to improve their draft stock and help the team.

imagine even having a guy like Bandy back this year, a good college corner. the list is endless but just curious - how do you guys think we break the cycle going forward?

By the way I know some of the answers are going to be “bags” but let’s be real that can’t be the only factor - Miami probably also gives out cash on the low just not on the scale of the big SEC schools . I think there’s other factors at play but the NFL U one is something which kind of has hurt in this regard. Kids come to Miami thinking 3 and out.
It doesn’t look hard to understand to me. Our guys (a) have less financial incentive to stay than guys elsewhere; (b) can plainly see that the U doesn’t care about football, and hence about them; (c) have no fun losing to bad teams and (d) know they’re not getting well prepared given our staffs, S&C etc. Not sure why people would expect them too stay.

It doesn’t look hard to understand to me. Our guys (a) have less financial incentive to stay than guys elsewhere; (b) can plainly see that the U doesn’t care about football, and hence about them; (c) have no fun losing to bad teams and (d) know they’re not getting well prepared given our staffs, S&C etc. Not sure why people would expect them too stay.
End thread lock it....this guy got it

Advertisement
So then why does Etienne stay at Clemson, or Devonta Smith at Bama. But then when it comes to guys like Blades, Bolden, Silvera, Phillips, etc. The general consensus on the board is that they’re as good as gone. For what? A 5th round selection?
Maybe because our players don't improve and actually hurt their draft status ?

This is one of the more thoughtful questions active in EitS.

It's a high class problem to have but in the end, our coaches need to illustrate better to the athlete how leaving prematurely, even if you are actually talented, is no guarantee to play on Sundays. They can use several recent case studies from our very own program--athletes who definitely could have used one--even two more years to develop their skills and condition their bodies.

Advertisement
I think they leave because Miami football has not been fun. We don't win and the fans are (justifiably) negative. At Clemson, kids come back because they expect to compete for championships.

If we win, it will be more fun and more people will stay.
People need to read this. No one comes back for the chance to go 8-4 instead of 7-5. They come back to compete for a conference and/or national title and 11+ wins.

Miami has had been hurt by guys going early for sure.

But 100+ underclassmen declare each year, and the number keeps going up.

Plenty of others schools have 1 or 2 head scratchers each year like us. You just take notice of the team you follow.

I think they leave because Miami football has not been fun. We don't win and the fans are (justifiably) negative. At Clemson, kids come back because they expect to compete for championships.

If we win, it will be more fun and more people will stay.

that’s fair. When I look at guys like Ed Reed who stayed for the 2001 season, it certainly makes sense that we were favorites to win in 01 so we had a selling point.

Do you think that there’s an evaluation component here in terms of the types of kids we recruit that we could be better at?

Advertisement
Back