Has our NFL U reputation hurt our ability to keep players for 4 years?

Was it Ohio State's Nick Bosa who said he would have stayed another year if he knew he was going to take a pay cut with his signing bonus?

Advertisement
I think they leave because Miami football has not been fun. We don't win and the fans are (justifiably) negative. At Clemson, kids come back because they expect to compete for championships.

If we win, it will be more fun and more people will stay.
Agree with this. I also think Miami suffers more than most schools due to the SFL lifestyle ~ agents, handlers, runners hitting these kids up all the time I would presume.

Winning or not, I'm afraid this is who UM has become for quite some time. Players leaving that have no business doing so. Some don't even have a snowball chance of getting drafted and they do anyway.

The problem isn't just guys leaving early/too early, we also have to recruit to a level where that type of attrition doesn't really matter. Besides, this is Miami, you have to expect & prepare for that type of attritition, we're not Duke!!!

Advertisement
I think they leave because Miami football has not been fun. We don't win and the fans are (justifiably) negative. At Clemson, kids come back because they expect to compete for championships.

The important question isnt whether it’s just about fun - it’s clearly not just about fun. It’s whether it’s mostly about fun, or only partly about fun. I think it’s more rational and economical than just or even mostly about fun. Kids wants to succeed, have fun and prepare for the future. We have offered nada.

Last edited:
IMO it’s because of ****bag meddling agents that’s down there in Miami poaching the players. Telling them their a high round draft picks when there not.

Advertisement
I think it’s not fun to be 7-5. However, the bigger problem is the Uncle Luke’s of the world don’t care if Miami was 10-2 the year before If they don’t like the coach. Kids down here grow up thinking that only certain people look out for them. Least of which is their millionaire college coach. Now, I don’t think the kids are right but down here, handlelers have way too much influence.

They do need to recruit more emotionally mature players like Brevin and bubba but down here those go elsewhere. That’s part of why this job is no longer built for a coach that doesn’t know Miami. Most of the reason they have let downs after big losses is there’s no buy in and too many fans think every year is natty or bust or “we lost to a basketball school” I do think the admin cares they just took a massive risk with Diaz. I think the biggest mistake fans make is assuming it’s easy to find a good coach. Fuente, Hermann that much better than Diaz? Too many think season is lost cause we lost to the best team in America. Let’s hope that doesn’t affect this squad.

Then why doesn’t every 7 win program lose a ton of kids early? Texas has been generally as bad or worse than Miami for a while. How many kids have left there early to get drafted late or not at all?
It’s a combination of things and the “NFL U” thing is definitely one of them. I’m the mid 2000’s pointing at NFL rosters became our only selling point. “Come to Miami for three years and become the next Willia McGahee or Andre Johnson.” UM built that as their reputation for better or for worse. It also hurt our overall program because coaches started targeting players with NFL traits and measureables at the expense of kids who would go on to be college stars at other schools who didn’t care if they weren’t 6’3”. ****, how long did we hold onto a “pro style” offense with pocket passer quarterbacks simply because that’s what the NFL used to prefer?

I’m hoping that with some of the new rules regarding players’ likenesses we will be able to keep some more of these kids around because they won’t be as desperate for money .

The idea that kids are leaving here because the team isn’t winning makes no sense when you see 100 FBS schools that have been as bad or worse and nobody is leaving their programs early to go undrafted.

In its simplest form, the whole 'NFLU' thing is a blessing and a curse. It always has been and always will be.

It will never change.

Advertisement
Then why doesn’t every 7 win program lose a ton of kids early?

Because other 7-win programs aren’t putting kids in the pros. Miami is still a Top 10 team in active NFL players.

The problem is kids would rather take their chances as a Day 3 pick instead of coming back and solidifying themselves. That is something that needs to change for this program to take the next step.

It’s not a problem when the first round kids leave early. That means you are producing studs. We need to keep guys like Silvera and Blades.

Because other 7-win programs aren’t putting kids in the pros. Miami is still a Top 10 team in active NFL players.

The problem is kids would rather take their chances as a Day 3 pick instead of coming back and solidifying themselves. That is something that needs to change for this program to take the next step.

It’s not a problem when the first round kids leave early. That means you are producing studs. We need to keep guys like Silvera and Blades.
Miami isn’t putting kids in the pros much these days either. And I know kids at G5 schools aren’t leaving early at alarming rates but I’m talking about schools in our competitive range who aren’t losing kids early every year to be 6th rounders. Texas, USC, Washington, UNC, schools with a big brand but have been mediocre for a bit. Are they losing three or four guys a year who don’t get picked in the first three rounds if at all? Maybe I’m just noticing it more because I obviously don’t follow those other programs as closely.

Since the Richt regime took over, we’ve had 1 first round pick (Njoku who rightly left early) the next highest pick was Chad Thomas? A third rounder who stayed for four years. He probably would have went undrafted if he left early. I don’t think we’ve had anyone else drafted before the 4th round. Why do kids at Miami still think this is some kind of fast track to the NFL? It’s not and it hasn’t been for a while.

It doesn’t look hard to understand to me. Our guys (a) have less financial incentive to stay than guys elsewhere; (b) can plainly see that the U doesn’t care about football, and hence about them; (c) have no fun losing to bad teams and (d) know they’re not getting well prepared given our staffs, S&C etc. Not sure why people would expect them too stay.

mario crostobal said a while back: "UM needs to go back to finding kids who care just as much about winning a national championship, as they do about someday playing in the NFL."

Advertisement
Miami isn’t putting kids in the pros much these days either. And I know kids at G5 schools aren’t leaving early at alarming rates but I’m talking about schools in our competitive range who aren’t losing kids early every year to be 6th rounders. Texas, USC, Washington, UNC, schools with a big brand but have been mediocre for a bit. Are they losing three or four guys a year who don’t get picked in the first three rounds if at all? Maybe I’m just noticing it more because I obviously don’t follow those other programs as closely.

Since the Richt regime took over, we’ve had 1 first round pick (Njoku who rightly left early) the next highest pick was Chad Thomas? A third rounder who stayed for four years. He probably would have went undrafted if he left early. I don’t think we’ve had anyone else drafted before the 4th round. Why do kids at Miami still think this is some kind of fast track to the NFL? It’s not and it hasn’t been for a while.

Yeah, I've never understood this in the least. We have so many players that leave early just so they get drafted in the fourth round at the earliest, and sometimes are completely undrafted.

I'm sure this happens at almost every school on occasion, but it seems to be an especially common occurrence at Miami.

I’m sure the info is out there but I’m way too lazy to do all the legwork. Which university has had the most early entrants fall past the third round?

Advertisement
Back