HardRock turf

ssvir

Sophomore
Premium
No bueno ... field has been in terrible shape for every home game.

First couple looked like a checkerboard with the mismatched grass and this last one a hard rain for 5 minutes = slip and slide.

Advertisement
Agreed, but was in our favor second half when it rained. GT couldn't run most of their stuff

First couple looked like a checkerboard with the mismatched grass and this last one a hard rain for 5 minutes = slip and slide.

Didn't they re sod that field like 30 minutes before the Bethune game, as well?

The turf was pretty chewed up before the game even started, however once the rain came down, it didn't turn into a mud pit. The drainage at Hard Rock is very good. If you looked at the sidelines, there was at least a couple of inches of water there. The field was wet but it doesn't puddle up and get muddy.

Rains every day down here this time of year and they should install field turf.

Playing in mud mitigates our speed advantage.

Advertisement
From the live cam. They are once again putting in new grass:

EL8iKJI.jpg

Both the Canes and Dolphins play here this week. Big test for that grass.

that field used to be perfect. someone said they had to change the type of grass when they added the canopy.

^yeah, its the canopy blocking the sun throughout the day on most of the grass. They tried those stadium grow lights last season, but I guess it didn't work too well.

Canopies are all over stadiums in Europe. I know the weather here is different, but its crazy how they haven't found a solution for this yet.

Why stick with real grass? Why not just put in fake turf?

Something bad would have to happen to the Dolphins because of the grass before they think about this big a change, imo. Dolphins have only played one home game this season. And that was the 1st game on newly sodded grass, when the Canes were on the road the day before, and no rain fell. So they haven't had to deal with the bad turf yet aside from the preseason, when they thought this new grass would solve the issue.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agreed, but was in our favor second half when it rained. GT couldn't run most of their stuff

I've heard that narrative mentioned a lot and I don't agree with that.

After the first three drives Manny figured out their outside pitch play and they didn't do much at all after that whether there was sun or rain.

In fact, weather should have been to their advantage b/c they run the ball and to our disadvantage with more passing.

The "experts" always say the weather helps the offense b/c they supposedly know where they are going and the defense doesn't.

guysm, I have some good grass in my house they can put down and use... You can also smoke it after the game is over

Advertisement
Poor weather affects the option more than traditional offenses because pitching a wet ball is much harder than throwing one. Option offenses are already fumble prone, add a wet football and the pitch becomes even riskier.

As for the turf, they're in a bind because of the overhang and South Florida's weather. The turf needs to not only grow with minimal sunlight, it has to hold up to the torrential downpours we get on all the time here. Artificial might end up being the best outcome but it won't happen until next season at least.

Agreed that the grass looked like junk even before the monsoon but funny thing is that today there's a narrative going around about the rash of NFL injuries all occuring on FieldTurf. People even saying that Fournette would be out for the year if his deal hadn't occurred on grass.

Advertisement
^yeah, its the canopy blocking the sun throughout the day on most of the grass. They tried those stadium grow lights last season, but I guess it didn't work too well.

Canopies are all over stadiums in Europe. I know the weather here is different, but its crazy how they haven't found a solution for this yet.

Why stick with real grass? Why not just put in fake turf?

Something bad would have to happen to the Dolphins because of the grass before they think about this big a change, imo. Dolphins have only played one home game this season. And that was the 1st game on newly sodded grass, when the Canes were on the road the day before, and no rain fell. So they haven't had to deal with the bad turf yet aside from the preseason, when they thought this new grass would solve the issue.

They use Fescue on the European pitches though. At Hard Rock, it is Bermuda, so needs the sun.

Advertisement
Back