HardRock turf

guysm, I have some good grass in my house they can put down and use... You can also smoke it after the game is over

I've heard of that hybrid. Kinda like a cross bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt at night on this stuff.

Advertisement
Poor weather affects the option more than traditional offenses because pitching a wet ball is much harder than throwing one. Option offenses are already fumble prone, add a wet football and the pitch becomes even riskier.

As for the turf, they're in a bind because of the overhang and South Florida's weather. The turf needs to not only grow with minimal sunlight, it has to hold up to the torrential downpours we get on all the time here. Artificial might end up being the best outcome but it won't happen until next season at least.
The rain started falling at the start of the 4th Qtr. We were shutting them down before that. They got most of their yards on the first 2 drives. People keeping saying the rain stop them like it was falling most of the way.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

guysm, I have some good grass in my house they can put down and use... You can also smoke it after the game is over

I've heard of that hybrid. Kinda like a cross bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt at night on this stuff.

Meant to upvote

From the live cam. They are once again putting in new grass:

EL8iKJI.jpg

Both the Canes and Dolphins play here this week. Big test for that grass.

When's the ******* tractor pull? I'd like to hear Tom Garfinkle explain this one. Grade A Jerk, Garfinkle is.

The turf was pretty chewed up before the game even started, however once the rain came down, it didn't turn into a mud pit. The drainage at Hard Rock is very good. If you looked at the sidelines, there was at least a couple of inches of water there. The field was wet but it doesn't puddle up and get muddy.

^I noticed this during warm-ups too.
I was thinking what the heck the field was going to look like in the 4th.

Advertisement
Why stick with real grass? Why not just put in fake turf?

Or ... a retractable roof (although they would have to hire a weatherman to make quick decisions on opening/closing). Seriously, with the heat, humidity and tropical downpours, if any place in the USA could use a retractable roof stadium , it's Miami.

There are probably multiple reasons people can come up with for sticking with grass but me being a soccer guy must bring up what I know about the situation.

The dolphins owner has been quoted as saying he wants to bring in more big name soccer matches to the stadium. Not only friendly (exhibition) matches Like Real Madrid and Barcelona that sold out the Stadium this summer and generated some revenue...
... but he also wants to be a part of any future Gold Cups, Copa Americas and most importantly the World Cup bid in 2026.

Field turf would basically kill any chances of hosting those tournaments so I think that is a factor. Maybe not the main factor, but a factor.

Last edited:

https://youtu.be/AmxcmpR1GQA

Advertisement
I'm selfish & miss our Miami Hurricanes end zones from The Orange Bowl, so I wish they would go to field turf & have a setup similar to the Giants/Jets stadium.

[video=youtube_share;mRBbvSxXvmI]https://youtu.be/mRBbvSxXvmI[/video]

Agreed that the grass looked like junk even before the monsoon but funny thing is that today there's a narrative going around about the rash of NFL injuries all occuring on FieldTurf. People even saying that Fournette would be out for the year if his deal hadn't occurred on grass.

Earlier this Fall the Patriots replaced Field Turf that they had just installed in May. This stuff seems to be a problem on many levels. There's not much danger running on muck and mire.

Unfortunately, the field will be poor until the grass gets some time to set. I haven't looked at both schedules, but expect more of the same this week.

Advertisement
There are probably multiple reasons people can come up with for sticking with grass but me being a soccer guy must bring up what I know about the situation.

The dolphins owner has been quoted as saying he wants to bring in more big name soccer matches to the stadium. Not only friendly (exhibition) matches Like Real Madrid and Barcelona that sold out the Stadium this summer and generated some revenue...
... but he also wants to be a part of any future Gold Cups, Copa Americas and most importantly the World Cup bid in 2026.

Field turf would basically kill any chances of hosting those tournaments so I think that is a factor. Maybe not the main factor, but a factor.

World cup in Miami would be awesome!!! Hope that happens!!!

I’m for whatever would lead to the least number of injuries, and I don’t think that’s settled as far as I know, but I do know there’s a school of thought that turf is more likely to be associated with more injuries, but I don’t believe it’s been proven either way

Yes indeed. Especially since South Florida was bypassed due to the Marlins in World Cup 1994 and could not host any Copa America Centenario games last Summer due to the current renovations.

It would be nice for the Miami area to finally get some meaningful matches and the biggest Sporting event in the World.

Advertisement

Yes indeed. Especially since South Florida was bypassed due to the Marlins in World Cup 1994 and could not host any Copa America Centenario games last Summer due to the current renovations.

It would be nice for the Miami area to finally get some meaningful matches and the biggest Sporting event in the World.

I'm all for major soccer being played in Miami.. i'm not a big soccer fan but that **** is a blast when it's international.. spent 3 months in south america last year enjoying it all

Artificial turf dangerous and Cheezy.. It would be an embarrassment to go to artificial. Not to mention the injury issues. What happened to the turf from last season. That held up great all season?

Why stick with real grass? Why not just put in fake turf?

Or ... a retractable roof (although they would have to hire a weatherman to make quick decisions on opening/closing). Seriously, with the heat, humidity and tropical downpours, if any place in the USA could use a retractable roof stadium , it's Miami.

That would be a lot more expensive than just doing turf, but if they want to drop the money sure.

Report: Dolphins to lay new turf at Hard Rock Stadium before regular season | Dolphins Wire

Report: Dolphins to lay new turf at Hard Rock Stadium before regular season

By: Antwan Staley | August 19, 2017 12:37 pm ET
With players losing their footing and the field at Hard Rock Stadium covered in divots on Thursday night, the Miami Dolphins have decided to put down new grass before the start of the regular season.

According to the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins will redo the entire playing surface at Hard Rock Stadium with new sod just in time for the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Miami had planned to lay down new sod anyway after the Coldplay concert on August 28.

The current grass was laid in recent weeks, but the El Clasico soccer event and scrimmages by the Dolphins and the Miami Hurricanes have left the field in a questionable state. Torrential rains the last few days have also contributed to loose grass that resulted in players losing their footing in Thursday night’s game against the Baltimore Ravens.

After the Coldplay concert, the Hurricanes will have their season opener against Bethune-Cookman on September 2. That will give time for the new grass to be installed before the Dolphins season opener against the Buccaneers on September 10.

Hard Rock Stadium will host the Dolphins and Hurricanes on back-to-back weekends just twice in 2017. The Hurricanes host the Syracuse Orange on October 21, followed by the Dolphins-Jets game at 1 p.m on October 22. The Hurricanes will play the Virginia Tech Hokies on November 4, and the Dolphins will host the Oakland Raiders for a Sunday night game on November 5.

Advertisement
Back