Guys, Im working on a story on Kaaya and Rudy Carpenter...

Just interviewed Rudy, he thinks UM is getting a Joe Flacco/Josh Freeman-type.

Carpenter says some real interesting things(IMO) on how footwork is NOT taught nearly enough by quarterback coaches, he thinks the position is played from the feet up and this lack of solid footwork( especially from guys who play the spread their whole life) is why there are so many big-name flops at this position.

Not to spoil my story, but Rudy had Brad go through a pro-day, which he taped. And it showed everything( even the bad throws, which Rudy says is important, he thinks Youtube highlights lie, and make guys better than they look). And through his contacts he sent out this video of Kaaya. And one of the first guys to respond and the most excited guy to call them was..... James Coley

And the rest, as they say, is history.

I also got Rudy's thoughts on the rankings/recruiting politics. As usual, he didn't hold back and he gave me some great stuff

There's a ton of politics in recruiting rankings. I've repeated these stories many times on various message boards. Back in the '80's, I talked to a sportswriter for USA Today. He told me if they did the USA Today All America teams to reflect the true quality of players, most of the A-A teams would be composed of players from three states: Fla., California, and Texas.

A friend used to talk to Max Emfinger, when he was a big deal in recruiting newsletters in the '80's. I heard that Emfinger said that he was going to speak on radio in a certain town so he was going to adjust his rankings to rank some of the local players higher.

I found out years ago that nobody can finid all the good prospects. For years, despite all the talent, I felt south Florida was under-covered by the "experts."

Exactly, and Rudy said it also came down to stuff like which parents can afford to send their kids to certain camps or work with certain private coaches, who in turn, have contacts and can get a player a higher rating by mere association. He even thought it was funny how Brad suddenly has shot up the ratings recently, while not playing a single game...

The only thing I can say is that when his name first surfaced here, I looked at game highlights. I saw Brad scanning the field, and I thought he was going to throw to the closer receiver, and he effortlessly threw a deep out on the dime to the receiver that was much farther away. I think I saw that several times. He seemed to reach a deep receiver with ease, and accuracy. Those might have been Youtube highlights, but he looked awfully **** good. It just stuck in my mind.

One thing concerns me, though: he's created so much excitement among fans, I hate to see anointed already as a savior. He's just a HS kid.

By the way, has there been a post about Olsen's driving arrest? I think it's relatively minor, but is a distraction.

Advertisement
K9, can you ask Kaaya some questions about what prospects he's been in contact with in Cali and around the country? Also, does Carpenter teach other QB prospects in addition to Kaaya and, if so, are their any that he feels will become highly sought after prospects? Thanks...

K9, can you ask Kaaya some questions about what prospects he's been in contact with in Cali and around the country? Also, does Carpenter teach other QB prospects in addition to Kaaya and, if so, are their any that he feels will become highly sought after prospects? Thanks...

Sure will do. And Rudy works with about 20 other QB's, in Cal and AZ. But he's still playing and trying to get an NFL gig, as we speak. I think though eventually, he'll be doing this full-time. I've always thought he'd be coaching or working in football in some capacity

Sure will do. And Rudy works with about 20 other QB's, in Cal and AZ. But he's still playing and trying to get an NFL gig, as we speak. I think though eventually, he'll be doing this full-time. I've always thought he'd be coaching or working in football in some capacity

Appreciate it. Really looking forward to reading the article.

Advertisement
Took one look at Kaaya's highlights to see what has everyone hyped. He was making reads and distributing the ball to the right receiver most of the time, not just relying on being better than his competition to muscle the ball in there. He seems to be ahead of a lot of HS QB's in his ability to read defenses. I think Olsen is strong in this area as well and I feel like these 2 are going to push each other to be better and the program will benefit from having the competition at QB.

If you go read some stuff about Kaaya's family, and his mother's business and charitable interests, you get the sense he comes from a good family. At least if the Wendi Levy Kaaya I read about is Brad Jr's mom. I believe it is, since she is married to a Brad, whom I believe to be his father. Wendy Kaaya started a successful hair products business with her partner, I believe the products are sold throughout the country, including Target. Her husband apparently participates in the business along with his film industry work (screenwriting and production.)

I'm just guessing that Wendi is his mother, since she's married to a Brad. Otherwise, it's a coincidence.

Yes, that's what the father told me, went from a small business that started in their garage to a substantial business.

Brad Sr is a great guy, said it's been a blur these past few months. Said he watched a lot of UM football during the glory days( he's now 46)

There's a Brad Kaaya who is married to Wendi Levy Kaaya. I guess she is not his mother. (Maybe a step.mother?). Brad the QB's mom is Angela Means. Don,t know the family relationships.

As much as I like Kaaya, don't sleep on our other two QB recruits.Don't anoint anybody, they'll have to compete.

Advertisement
WTF.....

Just realized Brad Kaaya's mom is/was in two of my fav movies growing up...
Friday
[video=youtube;yvV6nh-tByQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvV6nh-tByQ[/video]

House party 3

[video=youtube;OemlBQqG380]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OemlBQqG380[/video]

As a kid i always thought she was fine as all ****....lol...

Brad's the savior....annoint him
* Bernie Mac was the greatest...dude killed me in that clip...

Advertisement
Ok, part one is done and sent to D$. So it should be up soon, guys, hope you enjoy the story...

Advertisement
Just interviewed Rudy, he thinks UM is getting a Joe Flacco/Josh Freeman-type.

Carpenter says some real interesting things(IMO) on how footwork is NOT taught nearly enough by quarterback coaches, he thinks the position is played from the feet up and this lack of solid footwork( especially from guys who play the spread their whole life) is why there are so many big-name flops at this position.

Not to spoil my story, but Rudy had Brad go through a pro-day, which he taped. And it showed everything( even the bad throws, which Rudy says is important, he thinks Youtube highlights lie, and make guys better than they look). And through his contacts he sent out this video of Kaaya. And one of the first guys to respond and the most excited guy to call them was..... James Coley

And the rest, as they say, is history.

I also got Rudy's thoughts on the rankings/recruiting politics. As usual, he didn't hold back and he gave me some great stuff

Josh Freeman in ability or Josh Freeman in execution? Kaaya may be more accurate than Freeman right now.

Just be yourself K9.

Not everyone comes out of the womb like Chip and Tito.

Chip Brierre Burnie'd out of his mothers womb.

It was like this:

131.gif

Advertisement
Back