Guys, Im working on a story on Kaaya and Rudy Carpenter...

k9cane

Senior
for this site. Just a quick tidbit/preview, Brad Sr. said that the commitment to UM is firm,"What the point of the word commitment?" is what he told me. They love the staff, Golden and Coley.

As for Rudy Carpenter, he's the former Arizona St. standout, who was instrumental in Kaaya's development and I think played a key role in him getting to UM. It's an interesting back-story how this all played out. Carpenter is a personal friend of mine and I think he's got a great future in coaching. He's very high on Kaaya, thinks we're really getting a good one, here

Look for the story in a week or two, getting the interviews done as we speak...

Advertisement
Just be yourself K9.

Not everyone comes out of the womb like Chip and Tito.

Advertisement
Isn't OP Steve Kim? Dude isn't just a walk on, he gets preferred status.

Advertisement
If you go read some stuff about Kaaya's family, and his mother's business and charitable interests, you get the sense he comes from a good family. At least if the Wendi Levy Kaaya I read about is Brad Jr's mom. I believe it is, since she is married to a Brad, whom I believe to be his father. Wendy Kaaya started a successful hair products business with her partner, I believe the products are sold throughout the country, including Target. Her husband apparently participates in the business along with his film industry work (screenwriting and production.)

I'm just guessing that Wendi is his mother, since she's married to a Brad. Otherwise, it's a coincidence.

If you go read some stuff about Kaaya's family, and his mother's business and charitable interests, you get the sense he comes from a good family. At least if the Wendi Levy Kaaya I read about is Brad Jr's mom. I believe it is, since she is married to a Brad, whom I believe to be his father. Wendy Kaaya started a successful hair products business with her partner, I believe the products are sold throughout the country, including Target. Her husband apparently participates in the business along with his film industry work (screenwriting and production.)

I'm just guessing that Wendi is his mother, since she's married to a Brad. Otherwise, it's a coincidence.

Yes, that's what the father told me, went from a small business that started in their garage to a substantial business.

Brad Sr is a great guy, said it's been a blur these past few months. Said he watched a lot of UM football during the glory days( he's now 46)

Advertisement
Just interviewed Rudy, he thinks UM is getting a Joe Flacco/Josh Freeman-type.

Carpenter says some real interesting things(IMO) on how footwork is NOT taught nearly enough by quarterback coaches, he thinks the position is played from the feet up and this lack of solid footwork( especially from guys who play the spread their whole life) is why there are so many big-name flops at this position.

Not to spoil my story, but Rudy had Brad go through a pro-day, which he taped. And it showed everything( even the bad throws, which Rudy says is important, he thinks Youtube highlights lie, and make guys better than they look). And through his contacts he sent out this video of Kaaya. And one of the first guys to respond and the most excited guy to call them was..... James Coley

And the rest, as they say, is history.

I also got Rudy's thoughts on the rankings/recruiting politics. As usual, he didn't hold back and he gave me some great stuff

No. Mixed Chicks. That's the name of the company, I guess it's the name of the product. It's not something I would necessarily know, it's something I found on the web. Wendi Kaaya and her partner, are both from racially mixed backgrounds.

http://www.mixedchicks.net/

I'm guessing that might be his mother, but I haven't confirmed it. Maybe Peter Ariz, who saw her at the camp, can confirm whether it's the same woman. If you read about the founders, you read about their backgrounds and they say one of their goals is "raising responsible children." My research found that there is a Brad Kaaya involved with the company as well, so that might be Brad Jr's parents. I read on another message board that the products are available at Target. Now, that section in Target is not an area I know. I pass it by on the way to the pharmacy. I just notice any cute young chicks browsing the women's hair section, something for which I should be arrested, since I'm old enough in many cases to be their grandfather. I never stop looking, though.

Actually, for some reason, i stumbled on an article on the business some months back, in an online newsletter on Ventura Blvd. I read it and found it interesting. I think I was reading about a former college roommate who had started a business in the same general area of L.A. and somehow came across an article on their business. I didn't know at the time that one of the partners might have had a son who would be a QB at Miami. If that's his mom.

for this site. Just a quick tidbit/preview, Brad Sr. said that the commitment to UM is firm,"What the point of the word commitment?" is what he told me. They love the staff, Golden and Coley.

As for Rudy Carpenter, he's the former Arizona St. standout, who was instrumental in Kaaya's development and I think played a key role in him getting to UM. It's an interesting back-story how this all played out. Carpenter is a personal friend of mine and I think he's got a great future in coaching. He's very high on Kaaya, thinks we're really getting a good one, here

K9, is Rudy Carpenter the coach seen in this video?

[video=youtube;9plXQPzm7v0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9plXQPzm7v0[/video]

Advertisement

K9, is Rudy Carpenter the coach seen in this video?

[video=youtube;9plXQPzm7v0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9plXQPzm7v0[/video]

Yeah, thats him. Rudy told me that he works with him at his alma mater, Westlake Village High, and that certainly looks like their field...

Carpenter says some real interesting things(IMO) on how footwork is NOT taught nearly enough by quarterback coaches, he thinks the position is played from the feet up and this lack of solid footwork( especially from guys who play the spread their whole life) is why there are so many big-name flops at this position.

Not to spoil my story, but Rudy had Brad go through a pro-day, which he taped. And it showed everything( even the bad throws, which Rudy says is important, he thinks Youtube highlights lie, and make guys better than they look). And through his contacts he sent out this video of Kaaya. And one of the first guys to respond and the most excited guy to call them was..... James Coley

I also got Rudy's thoughts on the rankings/recruiting politics. As usual, he didn't hold back and he gave me some great stuff

There's a ton of politics in recruiting rankings. I've repeated these stories many times on various message boards. Back in the '80's, I talked to a sportswriter for USA Today. He told me if they did the USA Today All America teams to reflect the true quality of players, most of the A-A teams would be composed of players from three states: Fla., California, and Texas.

A friend used to talk to Max Emfinger, when he was a big deal in recruiting newsletters in the '80's. I heard that Emfinger said that he was going to speak on radio in a certain town so he was going to adjust his rankings to rank some of the local players higher.

I found out years ago that nobody can finid all the good prospects. For years, despite all the talent, I felt south Florida was under-covered by the "experts."

There's a ton of politics in recruiting rankings. I've repeated these stories many times on various message boards. Back in the '80's, I talked to a sportswriter for USA Today. He told me if they did the USA Today All America teams to reflect the true quality of players, most of the A-A teams would be composed of players from three states: Fla., California, and Texas.

A friend used to talk to Max Emfinger, when he was a big deal in recruiting newsletters in the '80's. I heard that Emfinger said that he was going to speak on radio in a certain town so he was going to adjust his rankings to rank some of the local players higher.

I found out years ago that nobody can finid all the good prospects. For years, despite all the talent, I felt south Florida was under-covered by the "experts."

Exactly, and Rudy said it also came down to stuff like which parents can afford to send their kids to certain camps or work with certain private coaches, who in turn, have contacts and can get a player a higher rating by mere association. He even thought it was funny how Brad suddenly has shot up the ratings recently, while not playing a single game...

Yes, that's what the father told me, went from a small business that started in their garage to a substantial business.

Brad Sr is a great guy, said it's been a blur these past few months. Said he watched a lot of UM football during the glory days( he's now 46)

Then his Mom's originally from New Jersey (don't want to call her a "Jersey Girl," since to some, that might be a bad connotation.) That might explain a possible ability for Al to connect with his Mom. Going from New Jersey to UM is like second nature for a lot of people.

Advertisement
Back