Gus Edwards

lol I pray you were trying to make a joke. A bad one at that. He was no where near the best back. Im sure you are going to make a point at like we'll look at him now.
This is post Duke, but heading into Gus’ junior year in 2015 he was dominating every practice and put a good amount of distance between him and Yearby and Walton, not taking anything away from those two. Then in camp he had the lisfranc and then he wasn’t 100% the following year in 2016 before he grad transferred

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is post Duke, but heading into Gus’ junior year in 2015 he was dominating every practice and put a good amount of distance between him and Yearby and Walton, not taking anything away from those two. Then in camp he had the lisfranc and then he wasn’t 100% the following year in 2016 before he grad transferred

This is where the Dade bias with the fans comes in to play IMO

Gus earns the starting job over 3 Dade RB's - Yearby, Walton & Choc - No one really remembers that.

Yearby breaks his leg his Sr year of HS - It's mentioned his whole Freshman year
Walton sprains an ankle - He's treated like a Wounded Warrior playing on one leg
Gus comes back after lisfranc - No one really mentions that injury

This is where the Dade bias with the fans comes in to play IMO

Gus earns the starting job over 3 Dade RB's - Yearby, Walton & Choc - No one really remembers that.

Yearby breaks his leg his Sr year of HS - It's mentioned his whole Freshman year
Walton sprains an ankle - He's treated like a Wounded Warrior playing on one leg
Gus comes back after lisfranc - No one really mentions that injury
One of the hardest football injuries to come back from as well

Advertisement
I continue to be completely mystified by this one.

Gus Edwards was straight doo doo when he was here.

I know people expected more, and maybe rightly so, but he still averaged over 5.3 ypc.

I get all the “pad level too high” stuff, but 5 ypc after a lis franc injury, and over 5 for his career, is not “straight doo doo”

98% of this board ridiculed and talked negatively against Edwards while he was here because he wasn´t from S. Florida. Thankfully we played Yearby instead to keep that S. Florida pipeline flowing. Guess Gus got the last laugh
More like 99% of this board. The real question is was it Gus or was it coaching? His talent is being maxed out right now and it never was while he was here. I think it’s coaching.

Advertisement

Games at Miami where the RB got 10+ carries and averaged 5+ ypc:

Duke - 19 of 26 - 73%
Gus - 7 of 9 - 77%
Yearby - 7 of 20 - 35%
Walton - 10 of 27 - 37%
Homer - 11 of 20 - 55%
Dallas - 7 of 13 - 54%

When we actually gave Gus the ball, it generally worked out well.

I know people expected more, and maybe rightly so, but he still averaged over 5.3 ypc.

I get all the “pad level too high” stuff, but 5 ypc after a lis franc injury, and over 5 for his career, is not “straight doo doo”

I do not share that opinion. His yards came largely against the Bethune Cookman's and Savannah States of the world.

Games at Miami where the RB got 10+ carries and averaged 5+ ypc:

Duke - 19 of 26 - 73%
Gus - 7 of 9 - 77%
Yearby - 7 of 20 - 35%
Walton - 10 of 27 - 37%
Homer - 11 of 20 - 55%
Dallas - 7 of 13 - 54%

When we actually gave Gus the ball, it generally worked out well.

His yards came largely against the FAMU's and Savannah States of the world. The coaches simply didn't trust him in real games.

Advertisement
I’ll never understand the hate Gus gets. He’s just like Cam. Some of y’all hate on him too, but when he gets more than 2 touches a game he’s dynamic. Some guys need touches to get into the flow of the game. Watch Gus when he gets a full drive with the Ravens. He gets better every touch.

I’ll never understand the hate Gus gets. He’s just like Cam. Some of y’all hate on him too, but when he gets more than 2 touches a game he’s dynamic. Some guys need touches to get into the flow of the game. Watch Gus when he gets a full drive with the Ravens. He gets better every touch.
No one wants to admit that our coaches fokked up!

Advertisement
His yards came largely against the FAMU's and Savannah States of the world. The coaches simply didn't trust him in real games.

The same thing could be said about Mark Walton - but people still thought he was a 2nd/3rd round pick and one of the best RB's in the country.

Gus didn't get many carries due to circumstances - playing behind Duke, injuries, Richt's weird *** rotations, etc.

But change those stats to - "Games at Miami where the RB got 10+ carries and averaged 5+ ypc vs P5 teams"

Gus - 4 of 6 - 67%
Walton - 4 of 19 - 21%

The same thing could be said about Mark Walton - but people still thought he was a 2nd/3rd round pick and one of the best RB's in the country.

Gus didn't get many carries due to circumstances - playing behind Duke, injuries, Richt's weird *** rotations, etc.

But change those stats to - "Games at Miami where the RB got 10+ carries and averaged 5+ ypc vs P5 teams"

Gus - 4 of 6 - 67%
Walton - 4 of 19 - 21%

Again, the stat you created is highly skewed because Walton (and all of the others) got 10+ carries against the meat of the schedule. Gus only got 10+ carries against the cupcakes.

I watched the kid run and he never looked like a competent D1 running back, in my opinion. As well, two coaching staffs had him on the roster and clearly felt the same way. Again, this one continues to mystify me.

Again, the stat you created is highly skewed because Walton (and all of the others) got 10+ carries against the meat of the schedule. Gus only got 10+ carries against the cupcakes.

I watched the kid run and he never looked like a competent D1 running back, in my opinion. As well, two coaching staffs had him on the roster and clearly felt the same way. Again, this one continues to mystify me.

Gus did it against - Pitt, UVA, Duke, VT
Walton did against - Pitt, UVA, UVA, NC St

What's the difference?

Golden had Gus over Yearby & Walton - so it was just Richt.

You wanted to give Maurice Hagens carries over Gus. Everyone has guys they like & don't. I get it - I'm the same way. But that seems a bit extreme.

Advertisement
Back