Gus Edwards

Gus Edwards ran very soft for a running back his size at Miami. Barely broke a tackle, got tackled on first contact too often.
He didn't get enough carries to even validate your statement. Did he ever get more than 3 reps in any offensive possession? I look at it a different way. He was used sparingly in obvious short yardage situations with suspect blocking.

To think that he left Miami and just found himself is just foolish IMO. I think he's showing what he's always had. Just needed an opportunity to showcase what he can do with a team that runs the type of offense that features his skillset.

Advertisement
Gus regularly got his **** knocked loose by Perryman, probably our hardest hitting LB since Nate, and folks wrote him off as soft.
He wasn’t soft. I know it feels good to say “he magically improved once he got to the league” but that’s just not true.

He didn't get enough carries to even validate your statement. Did he ever get more than 3 reps in any offensive possession? I look at it a different way. He was used sparingly in obvious short yardage situations with suspect blocking.

To think that he left Miami and just found himself is just foolish IMO. I think he's showing what he's always had. Just needed an opportunity to showcase what he can do with a team that runs the type of offense that features his skillset.

How is that foolish? Contrary to what most people think the RB position is a very cerebral position that requires advanced decisionmaking and conceptual thinking. Physical traits will only get you so far if you don't read your blocks and exploit the positioning of defenders. This is something Yearby did well at Miami and Edwards struggled with. As others have said Edwards didn't run through contact well either. So those are 2 areas that he has improved dramatically since - it's not magical it's technical and results from training and experience.

Edwards had 186 carries at Miami and we have dudes whining that he didn't get enough touches. He had 3 receptions in his Miami career and this guy is saying we should have split him out as a WR. The myth of Gus Edwards grows by the minute. He had 4.3 YPC at Rutgers. I've never seen "fans" cape so hard for a dude that left the program. Edwards had every opportunity to make an impact at Miami and he was average. Get over it.

Always a lot of hyperbole about Gus when he was here. Neither extreme are true. He has his moments here but never broke through consistently, which is why he was always behind in the depth chart and why he ultimately transferred. At Rutgers he was on a terrible team with a terrible OL but still managed to be productive and that got the attention of the league, then the light went on for him. Good for him. Wish he was better here but it's an exaggeration to say he sucked but fair to say he underachieved relative to his ability.

There's a Miami bias for RB's, but our RB's coach when Gus was here was Thomas Brown from Georgia.

Our current starting RB is from Georgia & there are multiple games where Cam Harris only gets 2 carries a game, Robert Burns doesn't even play & Chaney will have to fight for carries next year if he's not redshirted.

But yeah, there's definitely a Miami bias lol... The fans don't determine who gets the carries, the coaches do.

You were right, Gus is/was absolutely better than Walton & Yearby, but the idea there's some conspiracy against OOS backs is just plain false. The majority of our offense is non South Fla kids & they get waaay more snaps than the locals.
You right but walton and Yearby were Miami superstars especially Yearby.... and both were from feeder schools, I like to think that had something to do with it but maybe it was just a bad decision by Thomas brown

Advertisement
How is that foolish? Contrary to what most people think the RB position is a very cerebral position that requires advanced decisionmaking and conceptual thinking. Physical traits will only get you so far if you don't read your blocks and exploit the positioning of defenders. This is something Yearby did well at Miami and Edwards struggled with. As others have said Edwards didn't run through contact well either. So those are 2 areas that he has improved dramatically since - it's not magical it's technical and results from training and experience.

Edwards had 186 carries at Miami and we have dudes whining that he didn't get enough touches. He had 3 receptions in his Miami career and this guy is saying we should have split him out as a WR. The myth of Gus Edwards grows by the minute. He had 4.3 YPC at Rutgers. I've never seen "fans" cape so hard for a dude that left the program. Edwards had every opportunity to make an impact at Miami and he was average. Get over it.
First and foremost, 186 Carrie's over 3 years is 5 carries per game. That's not enough to establish any kind of rhythm or consistency.

Secondly, he just made it to the NFL on luck? I didn't realize that Rutgers had a powerhouse running game. Stats can lie in whatever direction you want them to. If you play on a team that has a suspect offensive line, then you're not going to have Heisman like numbers. This is why guys some guys who looked mediocre shine on a level playing field and others don't when they played on a loaded college football team, but can't make it on an average to below average NFL team.

Whatever negatives you want to say doesn't matter. Edwards is playing well in the NFL. That just doesn't happen overnight. He believed in himself and knew he could play at the next level regardless of whatever stats you want to quote.

Always a lot of hyperbole about Gus when he was here. Neither extreme are true. He has his moments here but never broke through consistently, which is why he was always behind in the depth chart and why he ultimately transferred. At Rutgers he was on a terrible team with a terrible OL but still managed to be productive and that got the attention of the league, then the light went on for him. Good for him. Wish he was better here but it's an exaggeration to say he sucked but fair to say he underachieved relative to his ability.
Well, we'll never know what he could have been here at UM. He did break thru earning the starting job in the Fall camp of the 2015 season before a foot injury requiring surgery ended him as a starter before he even got a chance to start one down.

Mike Gillislee is a cashier at the McDonalds on University and Miramar Parkway
I don't think they have just cashiers. I'm sure he handles many assignments, including scooping up fries and putting them into cardboard container, filling up cups of some drinks (like coffee), dispensing the ice cream into cones, putting all the food and drinks into bag, etc. Maybe even handle drive through window.

Lot of skills demanded of Mr. Gillislee. He is definitely filling an all purpose roll for McDonalds.

Advertisement
I dont want it to be true because I live here and these mother ****ers are unbearable when they're good. But lately they've made a case for being best. The loss to Cleveland looks bad but it was early in the season, the offense seems to be clicking right now. Need to see how they play on the road against some better competition (lost @ KC) but if Lamar can stay healthy and not fall off his production, they're going to be a tough out in the playoffs.
hey Lester, you related to James Burnham?

Just reading up on the dude tonight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newrep...s-wont-solve-crisis-conservative-intellectual

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/th...other-works/second-thoughts-on-james-burnham/

Is it possible the light turned on when he got to the league? That happens sometimes although with running backs you usually know if you have something late in their second year of college (assuming they played a lot as freshmen and sophomores).

He was the best back on the roster before his lisfranc injury
lol I pray you were trying to make a joke. A bad one at that. He was no where near the best back. Im sure you are going to make a point at like we'll look at him now.

Well, we'll never know what he could have been here at UM. He did break thru earning the starting job in the Fall camp of the 2015 season before a foot injury requiring surgery ended him as a starter before he even got a chance to start one down.
When did she earn the starting job here, I don't recall that ever being the case. Not even a single time. please provide that article because thats bull **** to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There's a Miami bias for RB's, but our RB's coach when Gus was here was Thomas Brown from Georgia.

Our current starting RB is from Georgia & there are multiple games where Cam Harris only gets 2 carries a game, Robert Burns doesn't even play & Chaney will have to fight for carries next year if he's not redshirted.

But yeah, there's definitely a Miami bias lol... The fans don't determine who gets the carries, the coaches do.

You were right, Gus is/was absolutely better than Walton & Yearby, but the idea there's some conspiracy against OOS backs is just plain false. The majority of our offense is non South Fla kids & they get waaay more snaps than the locals.

The Dade bias is very real - but it's just among the fans, not the coaches. And it's understandable.

Dade produces a ridiculous amount of NFL talent, at RB, and our Dade RB's tend to be the higher rated players - so it makes total sense fans would be biased towards hometown guys.

But it leads to ridiculous narratives each year:

Hyping Yearby while trashing Gus
Hyping Walton while trashing Gus
Hyping Walton while trashing Homer
Hyping Cam while trashing DeeJay

Gus started over Yearby in 2015 and would've started over him in 2016 - but injuries held him back both years.

Gus didn't play much when Walton was here because Walton was just Richt/Brown's dude. Yearby, Gus, Homer - it didn't matter where the RB was from, they were gonna ride or die with Walton,

Dude Mark Walton is/was a starting rb in the league up until 2 weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure our last few starters worth a **** all collect nfl checks. It's something pretty obvious...come to Um to play Rb and you have above a 75 percent chance of collecting NFL checks.
Lot more tread left on them tires after college here, plus usually more versatile athletes coming out of The U.

Advertisement
Back