Gus Edwards will beast next year

Watching Walton's film, I don't think it will take him 6 games to have an impact. Remember what Duke did in his first game against BC. I think we'll see some of that from Mark.
This is a money year for Gus Edwards in terms of auditioning for the NFL draft and with Joe Year by expected to be out for the first 4 games of the year that clears the way for Gus to get 20-30 carries a game. He needs to avg 170+ yds per game during that 4 game stretch if he hopes to reach the 1200yd mark this season and open some NFL scouting eyes.

Because by mid season Mark Walton should understand the pass blocking scheme and be able to get more playing time combined with Joe Yearby's return will drop Gus's reps significantly. But this offense will be centered around Gus and Kaaya for the first 6 games at least.

Go Canes

LOL at you thinking Walton is anywhere near Duke's league. Straighten yourself up!

Advertisement
FSU recruited him as a FB.

He was supposed to replace Lonnie Pryor in their offense.

The only reason Edwards gets a look from us at TB is because we've missed on so many running backs since Golden arrived.

We had Duke, and ... Dallas Crawford.

We didn't have a choice ... We had to put him at tailback. FSU would have left him at FB.

Not so sure you are right about your first point. It took the Noles almost the entire season, injuries, and suspensions to realize that Dalvin was the best back they had. They played an awful lot of Los and Pender. Don't know that Gus is any worse than either of those two. Dalvin Cook, he is not; however, not many are.
He would have never played a down at tailback for FSU ...

And the idea that we "stole" him is ridiculous. The kid came because James Coley was his biggest fan. Edwards only came to Miami because Coley came to Miami.

we stole the kid from FSU on signing day. if this kid went to FSU this board would be talking about how we let such a great rb get away

I'm not a believer of Gus. being anything more than an average back at best, never have been. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

As for the Berry comparison, he's not there yet. Berry was a much tougher runner, but Gus has time left.

I think we agree.

I don't think he's at Berry's level, yet, either.

I just think Berry is his ceiling ...

I'm not a believer of Gus. being anything more than an average back at best, never have been. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

As for the Berry comparison, he's not there yet. Berry was a much tougher runner, but Gus has time left.

Watching Walton's film, I don't think it will take him 6 games to have an impact. Remember what Duke did in his first game against BC. I think we'll see some of that from Mark

I agree...I'll go so far as to say, that Walton may be a better pure RB than Duke coming outta HS.
If you look at Him in that BTW offense, He was totally responsible for either making that 1st man miss, or breaking that 1st tackle.
He didn't run behind a FB, or behind a 6 or 7 man line like Duke did in HS.

Advertisement
Yes, we're on the same page MIATL.

The one fellow mentioned Karlos Williams and Pender. Pender, I think he would've been something very special, but injuries and academics set him back. In the limited amount he played, he showed more potential than I've ever seen from Gus. Williams had flashes, I thought he'd have a better year last year, but I got caught up in the speed / size hype. He nutrients have the lateral quickness to be a major talent. Gus so far hasn't shown me anything elite, but as I've said, he's still got time and hopefully he proves me wrong.

You're also spot on about us missing on RB's. We can't get them all and to me since Duke and Gus have been here the one that would've made a big difference was Alex Collins. Oh well, such is life.

Watching Walton's film, I don't think it will take him 6 games to have an impact. Remember what Duke did in his first game against BC. I think we'll see some of that from Mark

I agree...I'll go so far as to say, that Walton may be a better pure RB than Duke coming outta HS.
If you look at Him in that BTW offense, He was totally responsible for either making that 1st man miss, or breaking that 1st tackle.

I like Walton, but that's a stretch with the Duke high school comparison. If Walton can pick up blocking relatively fast, I expect him to surpass Yearby on the roster. Gus, due to size and being around longer may be first out of the gate, but has a lower ceiling than either of the two guys there with him.

Without Duke, his team doesn't win state as he went straight up Tecmo Bowl in the playoffs. Walton was the tougher runner in high school with Duke being more elusive and better vision. Speed edge to Duke as well.

I almost spit up my ginger beer reading this.... Your comparing apples and oranges... Duke was the heart and soul of that team If you stop Duke you beat Norland....He carried that Norland Team... Everybody focused on him..Waltons team would have won state without him,,, he was icing on the cake...

With his size and speed I don't see why Gus can't be as productive as James Conner at Pitt...Gus has the same build and is considerably faster...

Advertisement

I like Walton, but that's a stretch with the Duke high school comparison. If Walton can pick up blocking relatively fast, I expect him to surpass Yearby on the roster. Gus, due to size and being around longer may be first out of the gate, but has a lower ceiling than either of the two guys there with him.

Without Duke, his team doesn't win state as he went straight up Tecmo Bowl in the playoffs. Walton was the tougher runner in high school with Duke being more elusive and better vision. Speed edge to Duke as well.

Duke played behind a better OLine than Walton in HS. And while speed & elusiveness is important, I think what makes Walton better is His ball security, and His toughness. He reminds me of Edge.

With his size and speed I don't see why Gus can't be as productive as James Conner at Pitt...Gus has the same build and is considerably faster...

Gus was raw coming out of High school...HE got stood up several times his freshman year...people cant forget that.... IF you really watched him last year you know he is a good running back.... Plus he is from New York people dont wanna believe

Duke played behind a better OLine than Walton in HS. And while speed & elusiveness is important, I think what makes Walton better is His ball security, and His toughness. He reminds me of Edge.

LOL @ Ball security making a running back better

Advertisement
Reed was from Louisiana (granted a more talent rich state then NY) and that never made me question him. I don't care where anyone is from, there's players from all over the place. People just haven't seen that much or really anything elite to get all hyped up about Gus.

Advertisement
The negativity is misplaced. I hope Gus has a great year and think he can from what I have seen. Yearby too. Others will have a shot to contribute. We need to hope (and expect) for a successful season. If this year is not positive, several more may follow. I know many do not believe this and I hope I am wrong, but I hope Al figures it out.

Yearby is the best back on this team. It will become clear to everyone early in the season. People are forgetting how ridiculous he was in high school - don't sleep on him because he wasn't fournette or cook last year. We had Duke.

Yearby is the best back on this team. It will become clear to everyone early in the season. People are forgetting how ridiculous he was in high school - don't sleep on him because he wasn't fournette or cook last year. We had Duke.

Averaged the same yards per carry cook had on 80 carries as well with a great back in front of him

Advertisement
Back