Gus Edwards will beast next year

Gus Edwards will beast next year That is all
When the Prince of Bleakness says something positive, I listen.

All I need to know about Gus growing up and learning how to run the football better was summed up in the game he had against VT last year. Granted, we thrashed VT with Duke first and Gus got to feed off of that, but he had several nice runs in spelling Duke.

I've said the same thing that I think the "light" came on for him the VT game. After that game for the rest of the year he ran tough, with purpose, and was a good back. I think after the Nebraska game when he got passed on the depth chart he started playing with a chip and a toughness we didn't see for the first year and half. I personally think he is the best back on our roster and think he can be a beast. Do I think he can take it 90? No, but I think he can break out and outrun people for 60. Oline is key though, but I'm looking forward to Gus this year.

Advertisement
I'm not a believer. I think the ceiling for Gus Edwards is Damien Berry.

Not terrible, but not an elite level feature back.

Can he show some flashes? Absolutely. And he probably will "beast" against Bethune and FAU. ****, he might even continue against Nebraska to have a great September!

But it's what our guys do in October that will decide our season, IMO. If he's a "beast" against UC, FSU, VT, Clemson, and Duke ... Then, I'll give him his due.

Gus Edwards will be Miami's version of Greg Jones. I'm hoping because hes from NY he turns out to be Miami's version of Stephen McGuire.
greg_jones_2003_09_20.jpg or StephenMcGuire.jpg

You cant compare him to Duke who is arguably the greatest college running back that weve had at Miami... If you compare him to Duke he will let you down... However dude runs with a lot of power (improved from freshman year) has deceptive speed, nimble feet that can make you miss I think hes one of those running backs the more runs he has the better he performs... Only thing that will derail him is injuries or fumbles... Besides DHucks favortie running back told me he was the most talented running back on the team, and that is what I thought ayway. His weakness is he plays too long in the backfield at times, However if he can improve like he did from freshman to sophomore year imagine what he will look like as a Junior!

Advertisement
Can we discuss what people are "hearing" about Yearby? Where did the 4 games number come from? What is this suspension for?

Advertisement
we stole the kid from FSU on signing day. if this kid went to FSU this board would be talking about how we let such a great rb get away

I don't remember him stealing any carries from Duke last year. My expectations are low. I was hoping we could have brought in enough talent which would have caused him to transfer.

Advertisement
He would have never played a down at tailback for FSU ...

And the idea that we "stole" him is ridiculous. The kid came because James Coley was his biggest fan. Edwards only came to Miami because Coley came to Miami.

we stole the kid from FSU on signing day. if this kid went to FSU this board would be talking about how we let such a great rb get away

A poor man's Jarrett Payton.

Sarcasm?

I think Gus is better than Payton.

But I'm still going with my Damien Berry comparison.

More talented then Damien...He's faster, bigger, better feet and just as powerful( well need more evidence of the power)

We'll see what the October production looks like.

He's still young enough to develop. But like my affection for Alex Gall, I suspect most of the HYPE for Edwards is really HOPE for Edwards.

Advertisement
Not so sure you are right about your first point. It took the Noles almost the entire season, injuries, and suspensions to realize that Dalvin was the best back they had. They played an awful lot of Los and Pender. Don't know that Gus is any worse than either of those two. Dalvin Cook, he is not; however, not many are.
He would have never played a down at tailback for FSU ...

And the idea that we "stole" him is ridiculous. The kid came because James Coley was his biggest fan. Edwards only came to Miami because Coley came to Miami.

Watching Walton's film, I don't think it will take him 6 games to have an impact. Remember what Duke did in his first game against BC. I think we'll see some of that from Mark.
This is a money year for Gus Edwards in terms of auditioning for the NFL draft and with Joe Year by expected to be out for the first 4 games of the year that clears the way for Gus to get 20-30 carries a game. He needs to avg 170+ yds per game during that 4 game stretch if he hopes to reach the 1200yd mark this season and open some NFL scouting eyes.

Because by mid season Mark Walton should understand the pass blocking scheme and be able to get more playing time combined with Joe Yearby's return will drop Gus's reps significantly. But this offense will be centered around Gus and Kaaya for the first 6 games at least.

Go Canes

Been saying it for awhile now. Gus will hang 1500+ on the board this year. His floor from this point forward is Arian Foster.

Advertisement
Back