Gurvan Hall

With Johnson likely out this weekend resting his hamstring injury, we better see Hall and Carter Get every snap along with Redwine. Knowles better not see the field until the 4th quarter when we are up at least 3 TD. Also, Ivey and Frierson have to get the lions share of snaps behind Bandy/Jackson before Dean ever sees the field.

On the offensive side of the ball I would like to see them try Scaife at RT some with the potential to kick donaldson inside to RG. Boulware should be starting at the other guard spot. We need to start working towards our legit starting units over the next two weeks so we are ready for FSU.

Well I hate to break it to you but you will see a lot of Robert Knowles.
Diaz loves him some Robert Knowles and will continue to play him as he has this year and last year regardless of who he has available.
There is no amount that plays that Knowles can give up that will make Diaz take plays away from him.

Advertisement
Redwine and Carter will start, Gurvan will play but Knowles is going to be the 1st off the bench. This is Gurvans opportunity to take his spot.

Hope you are right and Hall takes his spot but I don’t believe Diaz will give Knowles spot to anyone until I see it.

Kinda crazy when you see Bama and other top squads consistently play talented freshmen.

Let talented guys get reps....they’ll make mistakes....but they’ll make plays too.

Growing pains are ok with young dudes. Not sure why we don’t play them more (Nesta, Hall, Ivey, Blades, Lingard, etc)

there was a drive early in the 1st half against toledo where we had hightower, wiggins, mallory, and jordan all on the field at the same time.

Advertisement
Right. I saw that too. Where’s that action defensively? Are our schemes that complicated?

there's a lot more at stake with a freshman mistake on defense than one on offense, especially in the secondary.

that said, we've only played 3 games. blades and ivey got a ton of PT against LSU in our opener. we dont have any freshman linebackers. rousseau was getting plenty of burn before he got hurt. nesta's been on the field a decent amount. our starting kicker is a freshman. naturally, we emptied the bench against savannah st, so all the freshman got in.

i dont really see the argument you are trying to make having much weight at this point. you pointed out bama playing tons of freshman, while we are not. without doing any research, id bet good $ on us having more freshman minutes so far this year than bama

Kinda crazy when you see Bama and other top squads consistently play talented freshmen.

Let talented guys get reps....they’ll make mistakes....but they’ll make plays too.

Growing pains are ok with young dudes. Not sure why we don’t play them more (Nesta, Hall, Ivey, Blades, Lingard, etc)

I know, I'd like to see one of these talented true Freshmans at least be a team captain or something...

there's a lot more at stake with a freshman mistake on defense than one on offense, especially in the secondary.

that said, we've only played 3 games. blades and ivey got a ton of PT against LSU in our opener. we dont have any freshman linebackers. rousseau was getting plenty of burn before he got hurt. nesta's been on the field a decent amount. our starting kicker is a freshman. naturally, we emptied the bench against savannah st, so all the freshman got in.

i dont really see the argument you are trying to make having much weight at this point. you pointed out bama playing tons of freshman, while we are not. without doing any research, id bet good $ on us having more freshman minutes so far this year than bama

Ivey and Blades barely played last week on defense. Not sure if I saw them at all outside of special teams.

Knowles plays over Hall. Zero meaningful snaps for him.

Rousseau played actual defensive snaps against LSU? I could’ve missed that.

Nesta didn’t play at all against LSU.

Did we really need Nesta to crap on Savannah State to realize he needed more time on the field? Like, we needed to see that?
The same could be said for Lingard. He’s 5th team headed into the Savannah game....then he’s magically third team the following week? Not sure if that makes sense.

The argument is simple - get folks reps.

I know, I'd like to see one of these talented true Freshmans at least be a team captain or something...

Cool. Sarcasm.

Glad he’s a special teams captain. That means a lot. Great honor.

Does he need to play actual snaps on defense or is he limited to special teams? Dean’s got things on lock?

Advertisement
Also odd that Georgia is working Fields in the first half of games....same for Clemson with Lawrence. But we keep Malik in all game?

Cool. Sarcasm.

Glad he’s a special teams captain. That means a lot. Great honor.

Does he need to play actual snaps on defense or is he limited to special teams? Dean’s got things on lock?

Hightower has the 2nd most snaps at WR. That help?

I don’t think anyone’s complaining about the offense’s reps outside Lingard and Malik. So no, that doesn’t help.

Throws a wrinkle in your theory that we're systematically shorting our Freshmans at UM. Or is this really a Manny thing? I'm sure he's flattered with amount of control this board thinks he has over all things.

Advertisement

Shhhh...They're trying to create the narrative that Richt isn't playing certain freshmen is because they show unsubstantiated deference to upperclassmen without respect to ability.

It's called confirmation bias. Their guy can't "possibly" be underwhelming in practice, displaying a limited grasp of the scheme, or making a lot of mistakes. It has to be that the coaches simply refuse to play these freshmen that are clearly better than everyone else.

Throws a wrinkle in your theory that we're systematically shorting our Freshmans at UM. Or is this really a Manny thing? I'm sure he's flattered with amount of control this board thinks he has over all things.

It’s not a theory. It’s a simple question - why aren’t we working some of these guys in a bit more? Did Nesta magically grasp the playbook better after the Savannah State game? Same for Lingard?

Advertisement
Ivey and Blades barely played last week on defense. Not sure if I saw them at all outside of special teams.

Knowles plays over Hall. Zero meaningful snaps for him.

Rousseau played actual defensive snaps against LSU? I could’ve missed that.

Nesta didn’t play at all against LSU.

Did we really need Nesta to crap on Savannah State to realize he needed more time on the field? Like, we needed to see that?
The same could be said for Lingard. He’s 5th team headed into the Savannah game....then he’s magically third team the following week? Not sure if that makes sense.

The argument is simple - get folks reps.

its a really poor argument without comparative stats to back it up. not to mention the sample size so far is much too small to draw any meaningful conclusions. 3 games. 1 against savannah st, which while completely blowing your theory out of the water since all the freshman played a ton of minutes, we'll have to throw out due to the opponent. then you had LSU for the opener, which again, skews data, as its not a game you'd expect to get true freshman a lot of minutes in considering its their first game ever and its taking place in that kind of environment. yet despite that, you still had freshman all over the field early and often.

but im a fair guy, so show me the participation stats that back up your argument, and ill take it more seriously. show me bama's versus ours so far for 2018.

its a really poor argument without comparative stats to back it up. not to mention the sample size so far is much too small to draw any meaningful conclusions. 3 games. 1 against savannah st, which while completely blowing your theory out of the water since all the freshman played a ton of minutes, we'll have to throw out due to the opponent. then you had LSU for the opener, which again, skews data, as its not a game you'd expect to get true freshman a lot of minutes in considering its their first game ever and its taking place in that kind of environment. yet despite that, you still had freshman all over the field early and often.

but im a fair guy, so show me the participation stats that back up your argument, and ill take it more seriously. show me bama's versus ours so far for 2018.

Ok. This is simple.

Did Hall play last week? Ivey? Blades? Lingard got one carry I think....?

Do you think these guys should be getting reps?

I get that we’re not completely against playing freshmen. No ****.

My point is, what’s with the inconsistency?

When you have Nesta and Lingard magically playing more....it seems like there might not be much logic in the roster management. It’s almost like those guys played better when given game reps....allowing them to earn more PT and move up the depth chart.

If we are up by 3 touchdowns and Knowles gets put in the game, I strongly believe it won’t be long before we are up by 2 touchdowns.

Advertisement
Back