Gurvan and Jennings Gone

Advertisement
If he entered the portal, does that mean he's "no longer with the team" or was he kicked off the team?

I don't want to turn another thread into a Manny-bashing thread. There are already enough. But how bad are evaluations if a guy goes from a day 1 starter and fixture on the D to the bench to the portal in less than a season? It's just bewildering to me.
I don't think Hall was a bad evaluation because at one point he looked poised to take the next step if not just become a reliable starter but for whatever reason that never happened and he regressed drastically. Then again, the defense as a whole has regressed drastically over the years and theres been one constant throughout.

Advertisement
Few comments from Manny (Diaz) stood out in Manny (Navarros) tweets.

First, yes he just said Gurvan and Bradley decided to move on from the team.

Also, typical coach speak about FSU and them improving, good dline etc.

Then gave his traditional, unsurprising Diaz answer about the LBS:

Navarro said Manny "paints a pretty clear picture some of Miami's young LBs still havent figured it out to get on the field and thats why we Ragone mixed in."

Here is where it gets interesting....

He was asked (and credit to whoever asked) if Blake James comments before NC State are hurting miami's recruiting from a negative recruiting perspective and Manny said:

"I would imagine so. I mean, yeah, if I was coaching at another team, -- Im sure our players are getting peppered with those things."

First, still seems like a lot of politics to me, I think more people are on Diaz's side than we may realize. Even the question seems odd, give a coach a chance to take a shot at an AD who took a shot at him all while giving a built in excuse for why our recruiting class sucks? Second, I can't seem to recall a coach talking publicly about an AD's comments. He could of brushed it off but didnt.

Advertisement
let's put it this way, though: as disappointing as Gurvan was, he was no worse than Ivey.

the next time DJ "Oy Vey" Ivey makes an open field tackle, it will be his first.

actually, now that I think about it, the only thing Ivey is good for on the field, .... is making toast :nonchalance:

(see what I did there?). 😁

Both are total busts. But we are approaching code red as far as depth is concerned.
Naked Gun Panic GIF

“But, but, they are playing hard for Manny!!”

Nope! They are playing hard for themselves and each other. Not the head coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Depends how serious you're taking your job, how hard you're working, and how talented the kids are behind you.

The Gurvan eval was fine. He was highly pursued, as has been said time and time again on here. Jennings was a terrible eval and many of us said it at the time. I know it's a joke anytime a kid flips to a rival, but let's just say FSU didn't put up a big fight when he dipped. Should tell you all you need to know.

It would be nice to be able to live life with a hindsight's view, but the fact of the matter is Gurvan was a serviceable player for 3 years here. Yes, he hadn't lived up to the hype, but he wasn't unplayable. No coach on the planet would have benched him for a true freshman in Game 1. However, as I said, if we had the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure the staff wishes they would've, because the younger kids just seem hungrier, and frankly, better. It's a shame that it took a few games for that to truly present itself, but sometimes that's what happens.
Sorry. I meant eval not from a recruiting perspective but from the fact he was basically a 4 down player this season to getting virtually 0 snaps and passed up by all the young kids (and that's with Bolden injured too).

Mind-boggling that Jennings thought he deserved MORE playing time.
That’s a bit of a leap. Wanting more playing time is not the same thing as thinking you deserve more playing time. Don’t blame the guy if he wants tp go play at a smaller school. As far as I know, he hasn’t been a problem in the locker room. Good luck to him.

Gurvan Hall was given every opportunity here, but he didn't pan out, and no, tackling the wrong player wasn't his assignment on that play-- we tackle nobody before we tackle the wrong somebody. 😉
Hall had 1 career interception. As many snaps has he had in 4 years you'd think even accidentally he'd have more than 1.

Advertisement
Back