Greatest player you've seen in each sport?

At their peak:

Baseball: Andrew Jones (could do it all)
Hockey: Lemieux
Football: Gronk (only truly unstoppable player)
BB: Jordan (though Magic most fun to watch)
Soccer: Renaldo
Tennis: Nadal
Golf: Tiger
Summer Olympics: Edwin Moses
Winter: Eric Heiden
Motocross: Carmeichal
MotoGP: Rossi
F1: Schumacher (never saw Senna)
Nascar: Cale Yarborough
Horse: Skip Away
Chess: Fischer (read his games)
Bowling: Weber
Boxing: Sugar Ray

Advertisement
Williams always maintained Dimaggio was better....to go 56 straight games with a hit....then 16 more after a hitless game is so Extraordinary I don't know where to even start....Original Yankee Stadium had a 460' Centerfield back then...with 435' Power alleys which is absurd....If The Original Yankee Stadium had dimensions that current Yankee Stadium has...Both Ruth and Dimaggio would have an extra 100 HRs....

Dimaggio had more homers than Ks for his career. Think on that for a bit.

Advertisement
Not to reiterate....But my Grandfather saw them all play...
Ruth
Gehrig
Dimaggio
Lazzeri
Jimmy Fox...etc...He told me before he passed in 1976 that Mantle was the best of them...which kinda surprised me. I thought he'd say Ruth...but he was adamant about Mantle...My Grandmother loved Gehrig...
If Mantle didn't tear his knee up during his rookie campaign, there would be absolutely No argument...Accomplish what he did, Long before Modern Day Surgeries is absolute Craziness...

I implore Every Baseball Fan, regardless of his team, to Read Lou Gehrigs letters to his Wife, while he was suffering from ALS....
Absolutely Heartwrenching....he was such a Class act....My GF was the one to inform me of his Letter/Letters that she happened upon....

Boxing- Ali, Hagler, Tito
Baseball- Mariano, Arod, Clemens
Bball - Magic, MJ, bron
Hockey- Super Mario, Bossy
Football - Ray Lewis, LT56, Jerry Rice
Soccer- Christiano Ronaldo
CollegeFB - Barry Sanders, Herschel
Collegehoop Patrick Ewing, Derrick Coleman
College BB- Pat, Will Clark, Alex Fernandez
Greatest Athlete - Bo
Pro wresting- Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair
Anyone who thinks Ronaldo is the greatest soccer player is correct, it's just that so many of you have the wrong Ronaldo. Il Fenomeno and it's not even close.

Orr could dominate the entire game. On D or O, shorthanded, the best player I've ever seen.

Orr was before my time but based on all the old film I've seen and by his universal respect by the greats would certainly be a more than respectable choice here too.

I'm beyond biased but as far as Mario goes I just don't think there was anyone comparable on offense at his peak based on his rare combination of size and what I'd deem as unparalleled finesse.

Advertisement
football is a lot tougher however, barry sanders is the first thing that pops in my mind

baseball I don't even watch

hockey we all know the answer there, there is only one guy and it starts with G

college football, it's honestly reggie bush or sean taylor
[/QUOTE]

NFL - Jim Brown
MLB - Willie Mays
NBA - MJ

NFL - Walter Payton
NBA - Julius Erving
NHL- Wayne Gretzky
MLB - Barry Bonds
NCAA HOOPS - Rodney Monroe (NC State)
NCCAF - Ray Lewis

Advertisement
Anyone who thinks Ronaldo is the greatest soccer player is correct, it's just that so many of you have the wrong Ronaldo. Il Fenomeno and it's not even close.
Il Fenomeno was great...except he had a problem....he was lazy and didnt like to practice...then ate his way into gaining weight and being fat...which led to him getting injured.....then he wasnt even close to the same.
Ronaldo and Messi have been on top for longer and not a 5 year era...
And Christiano Ronaldo even with off the field endorsements and huge money...still works his *** off and stays in top shape and has dominated in all leagues he has played in. That is what the greatest do....for a lot longer and more consistent.

College Football - Hershel Walker
Pro Football - OJ
Pro Wrestling - Ric Flair
College Wrestling - Dan Gable
Olympic Wrestling - Aleksandr Karelin
Boxing - Ali
Golf - Tiger
Men's Tennis - Rod Laver
Women's Tennis - Martina Navratilova
NASCAR - Richard Petty

interesting options on the tennis. I would go more modern with Seffi Graf (WTENN) and Rafa or Djokovic (MTENN). Im guessing you put Laver because of the two slams and Navratilova bc she dominated singles and doubles.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back