Gray Crow has been moved to H-Back

Let me preface this by saying, I have no idea what kind of athlete Crow is, but from everything I've seen, he seems to be a QB, and nothing else. Does that mean he won't be a good or serviceable H-back? No. But let's not forget, when making the Ortega comparisons, that Buck was a **** of an athlete, not just a QB that was moved to H-back/TE. This is from his bio at UM:

A four-sport star at Gulliver Prep in football, baseball, basketball and track & field...has been clocked at 24.07 in the 200-meter dash and 51.04 in the 400 meters on the track...has been timed at 4.55 in the 40.

Advertisement
why would he become a non scholarship athlete/ Do you know how much it costs to attend UM? He is doing everything the coaches are asking him to do, they should honor his scholarship and they are.

I don't mind this move at all.. Gray would rather stay at UM, get his degree, and help his team in whatever way he can than transfer somewhere that he would play QB.. Good for him..

I don't mind it either, my only real problem with it is that any arm chair QB could've told you when he was recruited that if we ever had to use him there, we were royally screwed. I said from day one that it was a wasted scholarship although anyone on the team contributes in some fashion.

I kind of feel bad he was ever sold the dream though, but that's countered by him getting a good education. Still, he is easily the worst QB recruit I ever remember us taking. In second place, Freeman, who I said much the same at the time. Honorable mention goes to Nick Fanuzzi who we almost got.

Advertisement
why would he become a non scholarship athlete/ Do you know how much it costs to attend UM? He is doing everything the coaches are asking him to do, they should honor his scholarship and they are.

You really don't see the other side? At all?

I don't mind this move at all.. Gray would rather stay at UM, get his degree, and help his team in whatever way he can than transfer somewhere that he would play QB.. Good for him..

I don't mind it either, my only real problem with it is that any arm chair QB could've told you when he was recruited that if we ever had to use him there, we were royally screwed. I said from day one that it was a wasted scholarship although anyone on the team contributes in some fashion.

I kind of feel bad he was ever sold the dream though, but that's countered by him getting a good education. Still, he is easily the worst QB recruit I ever remember us taking. In second place, Freeman, who I said much the same at the time. Honorable mention goes to Nick Fanuzzi who we almost got.

Nick Fanazzi! Who ended up at Bama and we got Marve who comitted to Bama.
Blast from the past.

Lol if you think this means anything....all this means is we have crooted horribly at QB with Crow and that other guy from Texas i cant even remember his name.... ANybody could see that both of them were horrible the first day of practice...All this tells us is how horrible our crooting has been at QB. This is more depressing than anything

Good QBs like to go where good QBs are playing. We have not had a good QB since Berlin. Olsen looked promising, but now looks like more of the same. Harris had promise but coaching was horrible. If Kaaya can break the pattern, then maybe we will get on a roll. I like the two coming in 2015 and 2016, but we know that HS is HS and not college.

Advertisement

You really don't see the other side? At all?

Nope. First, don't like the idea of taking kids ship merely because they don't pan out. If they put in the time and effort and do what is asked, then they should be able to stay. You always need practice players anyway, so why not them. Plus, thinking long term, a kid like this probably becomes a HS coach in a few years. Most of our All Pro alums do not end up coaching, but HS coaches remain crucial recruiting issues. The more Canes coaching HS the better(well, sometimes they turncoat on us). Plus, ex-qbs take advantages to other positions. I am desperate for us to have that guy who catches the 8 yard pass on third down and moves the chains. How fast or athletic do you have to be to read a defense and know where that open spot will be. Of all the problems we have, third down is the biggest--both sides.

Would be better used as a non-scholarship athlete. Then we could bring in another recruit who can actually contribute.

You mean like Joe Brown, Corey King, Junior Alexis or whatever other post-NSD scrub we've taken a flier on?

Advertisement
We need the scholly. Tell him to transfer or we pull the scholly. Tired of losing

If the scholarship player wants to leave in order to have a better chance to play let him go, if the player wants to stay let him stay. If coaches want to "suggest" that a player's chances are better elsewhere and it's agreed to, that is fine. There's something slimy about pulling a scholarship from a kid who was once considered to be good enough to play and then quitting on him when he hasn't quit on you. This ain't pro ball.

Golden: "[QB] Gray Crow moved to H-back."

Me: Why?

Golden: "It’s just how it worked out. It’s a position we feel he can help the team at, just the way it shook out at the quarterback position. I don’t think he’s disappointed. Gray has always been a team player. He loves the University of Miami. He’s a great teammate and a great guy to have in the locker room."

Advertisement
If the scholarship player wants to leave in order to have a better chance to play let him go, if the player wants to stay let him stay. If coaches want to "suggest" that a player's chances are better elsewhere and it's agreed to, that is fine. There's something slimy about pulling a scholarship from a kid who was once considered to be good enough to play and then quitting on him when he hasn't quit on you. This ain't pro ball.

Especially when you sell the family atmosphere so hard to recruits. And it works for us, the, small class size, and history is all we really have to counter a decade of mediocrity and a bad fan base.

Nope. First, don't like the idea of taking kids ship merely because they don't pan out. If they put in the time and effort and do what is asked, then they should be able to stay. You always need practice players anyway, so why not them. Plus, thinking long term, a kid like this probably becomes a HS coach in a few years. Most of our All Pro alums do not end up coaching, but HS coaches remain crucial recruiting issues. The more Canes coaching HS the better(well, sometimes they turncoat on us). Plus, ex-qbs take advantages to other positions. I am desperate for us to have that guy who catches the 8 yard pass on third down and moves the chains. How fast or athletic do you have to be to read a defense and know where that open spot will be. Of all the problems we have, third down is the biggest--both sides.

Shocker that you cannot see the other side.

1. Yes, you need practice players. Does that me the practice H-Back has to be the 8th string QB? Does that mean a walk-on can't contribute as the back-up H-Back?

2. We have sanctions. So perhaps we should use the ship for something better.

3. Considering we were Crow's only real scholarship. We gave him 3 years of tuition for free. I think that was nice of our school. You familiar with the TRILLION dollar student loan debt crisis. Ask those kids if 3 years FOR free would be a nice gift?

4. I don't understand the part in bold. Is this what Crow is going to do?

Let me be real. We would be better off using the ships as a -1 then giving it to Crow. I hope he proves me wrong but it would not shock me if NOTHING happened that could be actually measured on game film.

Would be better used as a non-scholarship athlete. Then we could bring in another recruit who can actually contribute.

You mean like Joe Brown, Corey King, Junior Alexis or whatever other post-NSD scrub we've taken a flier on?

No, I was referring to a kid in 2015. We would be better taking the -1 now (going down to -7 for 2014 Total Ships Used) and take -1 in 2015 and -1 2016.

Advertisement
Back