Grantham versus 2 TE Sets

Advertisement
Break the huddle with 12 personnel. Basic "ace" formation. Mallory motions from inline to slot, Deejay motions out of the backfield and bam! You've gone from a basic, heavy formation to a wide open 5 receiver set without having to sub a single player.
I like the shift and motion expectation, but I don’t see us using Jarren for power running, as another poster suggests, save a third down surprise here or there.

Said a couple weeks ago I expect us to be in 12 personnel a higher percentage of the time than even the highest percentage usage in the NFL, which last year was about 36%.

I think the Gators expect their defense to be comparable to last year's unit and I think they're delusional for that belief. I'd expect Grantham to adjust because he simply doesn't have the same level of LBs/Rushers as he did last year. If he really trots out a blitz heavy version of his traditional approach, he's suicidal. Why give Enos and Jarren a clearer path to single reads?

I expect him to mix in a heavy dose of zone and force JW to scan and read. Luckily, I expect Enos will stretch that zone out wider than Colombian pro's ******. Shallow crossers. Have JT on jet sweep actions and then stretch it vertically. Passes in the flats. Have guys like Hightower and Osborne sit in openings. If JW gets some rhythm going with those deep digs against zone, we're going to be unexpectedly cooking.

I don't expect this to happen easily because I don't think Grantham is truly that hardheaded. Hope so, though.

Think of what you can do with lets say, KJ, JT, Brevin, Mallory and DJ. Maybe not all traditional "2 TE" sets, but they our 2 tes and like you said get creative with their versatility which will create matchup problems.

That line up has 3 guys that could lead block/block down, 4 guys that carry the ball (5 with Jarren), and all of them can catch passes.

Said a couple weeks ago I expect us to be in 12 personnel a higher percentage of the time than even the highest percentage usage in the NFL, which last year was about 36%.

I think the Gators expect their defense to be comparable to last year's unit and I think they're delusional for that belief. I'd expect Grantham to adjust because he simply doesn't have the same level of LBs/Rushers as he did last year. If he really trots out a blitz heavy version of his traditional approach, he's suicidal. Why give Enos and Jarren a clearer path to single reads?

I expect him to mix in a heavy dose of zone and force JW to scan and read. Luckily, I expect Enos will stretch that zone out wider than Colombian pro's ******. Shallow crossers. Have JT on jet sweep actions and then stretch it vertically. Passes in the flats. Have guys like Hightower and Osborne sit in openings. If JW gets some rhythm going with those deep digs against zone, we're going to be unexpectedly cooking.

I don't expect this to happen easily because I don't think Grantham is truly that hardheaded. Hope so, though.
He is gonna heat Jarren up early and often.. He not gonna sit back and let him get comfortable. From what I saw if he didnt respect teh qb he blitzed them a ton. For some reason against mizzou, he didnt. I think they will come after a freshman qb with freshman bookend tackles..

His philosophy is blitz and if that doesnt work, blitz some more.. Why would he not want to rattle a freshman qb and see what hes got. Unless they are getting home without it.. He not gonna sit back and let him get in rhythm.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante what do you think about our use of 2 TE sets in this game?

I think it's an obvious play. Couple reasons. You have two nfl caliber kids who can make plays. You also can put them into max protection packages and help out your two inexperienced freshman tackles.

I see this being a bulk of our offense this game. I really do.

Yes sir, they’re hoping we don’t run a lot of 2 TE sets bc they struggled against that last year. They think that Trey Dean and Amari Burney can handle the TE’s/the slot. One of them said he didn’t know what they’d do if we had 2 Te’s and a slot receiver.

It’s amazing how much they’re banking on us not being able to evolve much from what we showed last year.
Bhahahahaha they’re f_cked!!!

Advertisement
HA! Hopefully Miami runs zero sets of 2 TEs?! They are in for a huge awakening. Brevin and Mallory gonna shock em in to mouth drop mode. Cot dam I can’t wait for Miami’s first offensive possession. Stack the box. Put your lbs in and watch.

This is their fans talking not their coaches. They should know what we have personnel wise at least on potential.

This is Williams first college start and a major one so they will try to confuse and rattle him with different looks and blitzes.

I have confidence that Enos will have a good game plan in place.

Well thank god for them we don't have two legitimate NFL TEs to roll out there at the same time....

I think it's an obvious play. Couple reasons. You have two nfl caliber kids who can make plays. You also can put them into max protection packages and help out your two inexperienced freshman tackles.

I see this being a bulk of our offense this game. I really do.
This is why we're going to run it down their throat. They will not be able to handle our 12/22 man set.

Thinking of the offense and personnel grouping for the Eagles. We have similar (don’t read “as talented”) pieces:

Ertz and Goedert = Mallory and Brevin
Agholar = Osborn
D Jax = JT4
Alshon = Hightower

Their offense can be as dynamic as anyone’s. We have similar style players. They were able to scale the offense between Wentz and Foles and be successful. RPOs, outside stretch, lead draws and they really stress defenders to cover 8 gaps and account for Ertz and Goedert. They feast on 1v1 for Alshon and DJax. Good enough RB in the pass game to extend drives though the flats and screen game. Hoping we look something like that

Advertisement
We’re blessed to have Mallory & Jordan. What a treat these two are going to be. They had a plan together when they both signed here & it’s gonna be awesome watching it unfold. Both unbeleivable talents & even better kids.

I’ll be back to post a link in this thread in a few months when some announcer at some point this season says something like “My goodness, Tight End U has done it again. Both these kids look absolutely sensational.”

I’ll bet it’s not later than mid-October.

I’ll be back to post a link in this thread in a few months when some announcer at some point this season says something like “My goodness, Tight End U has done it again. Both these kids look absolutely sensational.”

I’ll bet it’s not later than mid-October.
First to jump on your bandwagon!

Watched that UGA game.

2TE didn’t hurt them anymore than any one other formation.

Nauta did have a big game. Caught a big one over the middle once but did most of his damage as the outlet

Advertisement

You had me at Colombian hooker's ******.

Polite was special and they do not have anyone as dynamic. Same goes for their OLbs who got drafted.
But their Dbs, while not as deep, will be better. They had injuries at the CB spot opposite Henderson last year. It hurt them.

I didn’t think their D will be as good but it will still be very good.

The key is being able to run out of 12 if they go small. Their best run stopper (Reese) is a sloth and can’t cover at all.

If they go to a smaller LB next to Burney (who is a LB/S) and Dean (who is a CB), we need to be able to punish them with the run game.

Advertisement
Back