Grantham versus 2 TE Sets

brcane1

Sophomore
I stumbled across these juicy Gator Tears (which I'm pretty sure RVA already posted in the legendary thread), and thought they merited some discussion from our resident X and Os guys. Any one who was able to stand watching them play last year want to comment. I have a hunch that if a couple message boarders are all over this, so is Enos.

2TE.PNG
2TE2.PNG

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes sir, they’re hoping we don’t run a lot of 2 TE sets bc they struggled against that last year. They think that Trey Dean and Amari Burney can handle the TE’s/the slot. One of them said he didn’t know what they’d do if we had 2 Te’s and a slot receiver.

It’s amazing how much they’re banking on us not being able to evolve much from what we showed last year.

Advertisement
Lol at 2 TEs and a slot receiver. Better have Tim Tebow or Cam Newton

We could feasibly shift into this with some frequency. Jarren isn't a scrambler, but he's big and fast enough to be credibly used as a power runner in empty sets. 12 Personnel + 2 shifts can get awfully fun when you can roll out 5 skill guys with our versatility.

Break the huddle with 12 personnel. Basic "ace" formation. Mallory motions from inline to slot, Deejay motions out of the backfield and bam! You've gone from a basic, heavy formation to a wide open 5 receiver set without having to sub a single player.

We could feasibly shift into this with some frequency. Jarren isn't a scrambler, but he's big and fast enough to be credibly used as a power runner in empty sets. 12 Personnel + 2 shifts can get awfully fun when you can roll out 5 skill guys with our versatility.
This is a really good thread. Good opportunity for a bunch of us to learn some things too.

Break the huddle with 12 personnel. Basic "ace" formation. Mallory motions from inline to slot, Deejay motions out of the backfield and bam! You've gone from a basic, heavy formation to a wide open 5 receiver set without having to sub a single player.
Chiefs do alot of stuff like this.. I lowkey would love enos to use JT4 like tyreek hill and use our TE like any combo of Kelce, we have the personnel to execute it (one elite shifty wr and TE) and they run a variation of college spread plays but do use TE and fullback on occasion for the back in my day people folks

Advertisement
I can't see how they stop our 12 personnel look. Once Brev/Will start gashing them Grantham will make adjustments but it should only open up our run game and vertical passing. I've said before and I'm sticking to it, o line and special teams play respectable and we're smoking these fools for the world to see.

Advertisement

Think of what you can do with lets say, KJ, JT, Brevin, Mallory and DJ. Maybe not all traditional "2 TE" sets, but they our 2 tes and like you said get creative with their versatility which will create matchup problems.

Advertisement
Back