Grantham versus 2 TE Sets

The key is being able to run if they go small. Their best run stopper (Reese) is a sloth and can’t cover at all.

If they go to a smaller LB next to Burney (who is a LB/S) and Dean (who is a CB), we need to be able to punish them with the run game.

And thats predicated on a push upfront from Miami's big hogs.

Something the unit hasn't done in forever, but looking forward to Barry and company making me eat crow on 8/24.

Advertisement
Said a couple weeks ago I expect us to be in 12 personnel a higher percentage of the time than even the highest percentage usage in the NFL, which last year was about 36%.

I think the Gators expect their defense to be comparable to last year's unit and I think they're delusional for that belief. I'd expect Grantham to adjust because he simply doesn't have the same level of LBs/Rushers as he did last year. If he really trots out a blitz heavy version of his traditional approach, he's suicidal. Why give Enos and Jarren a clearer path to single reads?

I expect him to mix in a heavy dose of zone and force JW to scan and read. Luckily, I expect Enos will stretch that zone out wider than Colombian pro's ******. Shallow crossers. Have JT on jet sweep actions and then stretch it vertically. Passes in the flats. Have guys like Hightower and Osborne sit in openings. If JW gets some rhythm going with those deep digs against zone, we're going to be unexpectedly cooking.

I don't expect this to happen easily because I don't think Grantham is truly that hardheaded. Hope so, though.
I think we'll see it all. Blitzes, zone, press man. If Florida had a new QB who hasn't played any real minutes and an offensive live with two freshman tackles (one rsh freshman) with zero experience what would you do?

You're going to test the QB and tackles with blitzes. You're going to mix coverages to confuse the inexperienced QB. Your going to load the box to shut down the run and force the unproven QB to beat you. They are going to put Miami's ability to win or lose the game on Jarren's shoulders.

That is what I'm expecting from Florida.

I just hope Jarren has the metal to calm himself, make the right reads, and deliver the ball to whoever it needs to go to.

I'm not worried about Jarren long term, but game 1 against a rival is going to be both exciting and pressure packed for the new starter. I hope he handles it like a veteran where the moment isn't too big for him.

I think we'll see it all. Blitzes, zone, press man. If Florida had a new QB who hasn't played any real minutes and an offensive live with two freshman tackles (one rsh freshman) with zero experience what would you do?

You're going to test the QB and tackles with blitzes. You're going to mix coverages to confuse the inexperienced QB. Your going to load the box to shut down the run and force the unproven QB to beat you. They are going to put Miami's ability to win or lose the game on Jarren's shoulders.

That is what I'm expecting from Florida.

I just hope Jarren has the metal to calm himself, make the right reads, and deliver the ball to whoever it needs to go to.

I'm not worried about Jarren long term, but game 1 against a rival is going to be both exciting and pressure packed for the new starter. I hope he handles it like a veteran where the moment isn't too big for him.
If Jarren can have success early getting the ball to Jordan and Malory, then that's going to open up everything. Safeties witll cheat towards the TEs and open up passing Lanes for our WRs. Then, when we have Florida spread out, we start gashing them with the run.

I really think we need to pass to set up the run. The reason is that I expect Florida to have an extra man in the box to stop the run and force Jarren to beat them. When he's completed a bunch of passes and loosened up the defense, then the run can flourish. Now, when the running game gets going, you hit them with the play action pass.

Exploit the middle of field all game long. 2-TE sets and trips bunch sets should be the priority.

Advertisement
Said a couple weeks ago I expect us to be in 12 personnel a higher percentage of the time than even the highest percentage usage in the NFL, which last year was about 36%.

I think the Gators expect their defense to be comparable to last year's unit and I think they're delusional for that belief. I'd expect Grantham to adjust because he simply doesn't have the same level of LBs/Rushers as he did last year. If he really trots out a blitz heavy version of his traditional approach, he's suicidal. Why give Enos and Jarren a clearer path to single reads?

I expect him to mix in a heavy dose of zone and force JW to scan and read. Luckily, I expect Enos will stretch that zone out wider than Colombian pro's ******. Shallow crossers. Have JT on jet sweep actions and then stretch it vertically. Passes in the flats. Have guys like Hightower and Osborne sit in openings. If JW gets some rhythm going with those deep digs against zone, we're going to be unexpectedly cooking.

I don't expect this to happen easily because I don't think Grantham is truly that hardheaded. Hope so, though.

12 personnel is a given. I'd love to see us in 21 personnel, as well, with Dallas and Cam in the backfield. You put Jordan in at TE and you can do so much with that - misdirections, etc. Fake screen to DJ, fake screen to Cam the other side, and screen to Jordan underneath in the middle. Boom - 20 yard gain. Easy.

12 personnel is a given. I'd love to see us in 21 personnel, as well, with Dallas and Cam in the backfield. You put Jordan in at TE and you can do so much with that - misdirections, etc. Fake screen to DJ, fake screen to Cam the other side, and screen to Jordan underneath in the middle. Boom - 20 yard gain. Easy.
With no Lingard available, we'll only have two actual running backs. (maybe Burns finds a way not to get injured over the next 8 days?) I doubt we'll see Deejay and Cam on the field together much. At least during the FLorida game.

The key is being able to run out of 12 if they go small. Their best run stopper (Reese) is a sloth and can’t cover at all.

If they go to a smaller LB next to Burney (who is a LB/S) and Dean (who is a CB), we need to be able to punish them with the run game.
Have to run right at em too. Right behind Gaynor, Donaldson and Scaife. Setup the play action off of that and we’re cooking!

Advertisement
With no Lingard available, we'll only have two actual running backs. (maybe Burns finds a way not to get injured over the next 8 days?) I doubt we'll see Deejay and Cam on the field together much. At least during the FLorida game.

How long is Lorenzo out for?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Both Brevin Jordan and will Mallory are much more physically gifted than nauta. Uf doesn’t have anyone to cover them consistently
Not only that, Georgia was content to run the ball over and over against Florida. Can't blame them but I think Fromm only threw something like 17 passes that game.

Yes sir, they’re hoping we don’t run a lot of 2 TE sets bc they struggled against that last year. They think that Trey Dean and Amari Burney can handle the TE’s/the slot. One of them said he didn’t know what they’d do if we had 2 Te’s and a slot receiver.

It’s amazing how much they’re banking on us not being able to evolve much from what we showed last year.
They don't realize how much they over-performed and how much we under-performed last year. Typical.

How effective do you guys think Jarren would be with the zone read? If he's clocking in at 20 mph I want some designed plays giving him the chance to run.

Can be implemented easily in 12 and would give defenses just another thing to think about.

How effective do you guys think Jarren would be with the zone read? If he's clocking in at 20 mph I want some designed plays giving him the chance to run.

Can be implemented easily in 12 and would give defenses just another thing to think about.
People got to go back in watch his film, Jarren is a dual threat qb that just happens to be able to pass very well in the pocket. He can run And make you miss

Advertisement
Back