Gore Update

Frank Gore vs. Curtis Martin: Gore has more yards rushing and a higher yard per carry average. They have the same number of TDs.
That's the main stat I point to to highlight Frank's greatness. A lot of people don't realize that when Gore was in his prime in SF, only Jim Brown & Barry Sanders had a higher YPC. Even after all these years, his career YPC is 4.4, 4.5. 1st ballot. If that makes you mad, then like my granny used to say, scratch your *** & get glad...

Advertisement
So I heard he wasn’t that great w the media. I love Sayers; but Sharpe has a better resume than Sayers. I’m not sure why Sharpe gets the shaft. Davis definitely don’t belong in the hall before Sharpe. Sharpe dominated all 7 yrs he played, and didn’t miss a game until the neck injury.

To me, Gore & Sharpe are no brainers, but unfortunately Sharpe has to get in via a veterans committee now. I thought Roger Craig should’ve got in, as well. He changed the RB position, where it was cool for a RB to catch the rock like a WR.

The NFL HOF be on some bull chit w/ who’s in & who’s out.
Roger Craig is one of the biggest head scratchers also. First cat to go for 1000/1000, a major cog in one the league's greatest dynasties, All-'80's Team member. Dude's got more jewelry than Zales and was decades before his time. No Roger Craig, no Marshall Faulk, no CMC or any of the other multi-dimensional backs he paved the way for. WTF are these HOF voters looking at?!?!?!

Roger Craig is one of the biggest head scratchers also. First cat to go for 1000/1000, a major cog in one the league's greatest dynasties, All-'80's Team member. Dude's got more jewelry than Zales and was decades before his time. No Roger Craig, no Marshall Faulk, no CMC or any of the other multi-dimensional backs he paved the way for. WTF are these HOF voters looking at?!?!?!

Faccccccctz

I respect the heck out of roger craig. he was a close call. imo he shoulda gotten it on significance because of the team outcomes. the steelers got guys in that way. and, again, a Hall that admits T Davis and not R Craig is not doing it right. At all. But I do want to point out, Payton was catching passes out of the backfield frequently and well before Craig. He just didn’t have Walsh or Montana to set him up or throw to him. Under appreciated fact - payton retired as both the all time leading rusher and the all time leading receiver out of the backfield.

Advertisement
So I heard he wasn’t that great w the media. I love Sayers; but Sharpe has a better resume than Sayers. I’m not sure why Sharpe gets the shaft. Davis definitely don’t belong in the hall before Sharpe. Sharpe dominated all 7 yrs he played, and didn’t miss a game until the neck injury.

To me, Gore & Sharpe are no brainers, but unfortunately Sharpe has to get in via a veterans committee now. I thought Roger Craig should’ve got in, as well. He changed the RB position, where it was cool for a RB to catch the rock like a WR.

The NFL HOF be on some bull chit w/ who’s in & who’s out.
Davis is the guy who really outta be voted out because he ruins all the arguments. Guy had three good seasons. On an offense set up for the RB. he makes it impossible to defend some of the exclusions. but sharpe imo merits it on greatness. craig on significance.

made me laugh when i realized sterling had more tds in half a career than his big mouthed brother had in 14 years.

Davis is the guy who really outta be voted out because he ruins all the arguments. Guy had three good seasons. On an offense set up for the RB. he makes it impossible to defend some of the exclusions. but sharpe imo merits it on greatness. craig on significance.

made me laugh when i realized sterling had more tds in half a career than his big mouthed brother had in 14 years.

Exactly; when I brought up Portis & how he got snubbed out some hardware his rookie yr, ppl said it’s b/c he played in a RB friendly running scheme....and they said literally every RB had a good season or two in Denver as a RB. My next argument was just what u said; then why is Davis in the HOF?

It took the NFL how long to put Ken Stabler in the HOF, posthumously?

Sterling Sharpe is a glaring omission. Was a baller. He abused the Canes in 1987, a 20-16 win famous for a brawl for slamming QB Todd Ellis well after the play.

Advertisement
Exactly; when I brought up Portis & how he got snubbed out some hardware his rookie yr, ppl said it’s b/c he played in a RB friendly running scheme....and they said literally every RB had a good season or two in Denver as a RB. My next argument was just what u said; then why is Davis in the HOF?
Davis being there is a joke. It really ruins the place because it's so unsupportable and shines such glare on other omissions.

But this is a good discussion, because I now am coming to the view that the single biggest omission going is Sterling Sharpe. Curious for suggestions as to who else. Not people in year 2 or 3 of eligibility but people who are outside of the window.

God leveled the playing field out for everyone(and had sweet mercy on the statisticians)when He gave Frank those ACL Tears. If not, there woulda been a thread five or six years about him getting 16k for his career and in this one, we'd prolly be talking about how his rushing totals are now approaching Jerry's receiving yardage mark and how the rushing record is now unbreakable. He'd prolly look in year 16 how he did when San Fran made their Bowl run...

Advertisement
Davis being there is a joke. It really ruins the place because it's so unsupportable and shines such glare on other omissions.

But this is a good discussion, because I now am coming to the view that the single biggest omission going is Sterling Sharpe. Curious for suggestions as to who else. Not people in year 2 or 3 of eligibility but people who are outside of the window.

From a defensive aspect, I look at John Lynch, Carnell Lake, Darren Woodson & Lance Briggs

From an offensive aspect, I look at Chuck Foreman, Otis Anderson, Ricky Watters, Roger Craig

I’m sure I’m missing some others from an old school standpoint, but those were some names that flew off my mind

Advertisement
From a defensive aspect, I look at John Lynch, Carnell Lake, Darren Woodson & Lance Briggs

From an offensive aspect, I look at Chuck Foreman, Otis Anderson, Ricky Watters, Roger Craig

I’m sure I’m missing some others from an old school standpoint, but those were some names that flew off my mind
love the discussion. foreman would be high on my offense list. otis was a better curtis martin in his era but don’t know if the veterans committee has much rationale. don’t see waters either. craig yes, on impact.

on d, imo woodson and lynch are no brainers. lake imo is a good bit below them on all pro and other metrics.

IMO, it was once Art Monk was put into the Hall of Fame, it basically opened the flood gates for undeserving players of all kinds. The longevity types that play forever and accumulate stats but are never really elite. The short peak that never sustained greatness long enough to be truly great. And those that never really were great enough to lift their team to a shade of greatness.

For the longest time, I pounded the table for Jerry Kramer...and he finally got in.
He's kind of in your window...but right now, the biggest snub in Alan Faneca.

IMO, it was once Art Monk was put into the Hall of Fame, it basically opened the flood gates for undeserving players of all kinds. The longevity types that play forever and accumulate stats but are never really elite. The short peak that never sustained greatness long enough to be truly great. And those that never really were great enough to lift their team to a shade of greatness.

For the longest time, I pounded the table for Jerry Kramer...and he finally got in.
He's kind of in your window...but right now, the biggest snub in Alan Faneca.
i’m not really qualified to evaluate OL, except by the grandma test. i always viewed faneca like curtis martin. hall of pretty dang good for a long while?

Man Walter Payton man. People forget how good he was. Set the mark at rushing, receiving from backfield, best blocking HB you’ll see, and literally was backup punter and third string QB, and actually played those positions in spots. And did it all on a team that was terrible for most of his career. Best all around FB player ever and it ain’t close.

/cool story bro

Advertisement
Back