Golden press conference notes

Problem2

All-American
Premium
A THURSDAY UPDATE FROM AL GOLDEN'S BRIEFING WITH REPORTERS*

Ray-Ray Armstrong “got the message”; Brandon McGee isn’t where UM wants him; and defensive end (opposite Anthony Chickillo) looms as a major question. Those are some of the defensive headlines creating a buzz as UM prepares to open spring practice Saturday.

“Ray Ray had arguably the best offseason of anybody,” coach Al Golden said Thursday of the ballyhooed safety. “He got the message. Gave up his winter vacation and made a lot of progress. He’s leading by example.

“Last year, he made too many mistakes. Great safeties defend the deep ball well, get their team lined up and tackle well in the open field. We all know he gave up too many deep balls, didn’t get us lined up all the time like he needed to do and didn’t make enough open field tackles.”
But that, Golden said, “is all in the past. I expect him to have a real productive spring. I’d be shocked if he’s not playing a lot faster, tackling better in the open field.”

### McGee and Thomas Finnie are UM’s only returning cornerbacks who have played much, but McGee enters spring on the third team because he fell short in the offseason program. Finnie and early arrival Larry Hope, from American High, are the current first-teamers.

McGee “should be better than he is,” Golden said. “No excuse. That’s it, end of story.”

McGee gave up running track “and wanted to focus on football and didn’t work as hard as other guys in those [conditioning] areas,” Golden said. “And now he’s got his hands full. If I was in his shoes, I’d want to lock it up before six guys show up in August. He didn’t do that in Phase 1. He has a chance to do that in Phase 2.”

### At defensive end, here’s the unproven group on campus that’s trying to earn the spot opposite Chickillo and replace the departed contingent of Olivier Vernon, Marcus Robinson, Andrew Smith and Adewale Ojomo: Shayon Green (seven tackles in four games last season), Ricardo Williams (a three-star defensive end who is Homestead’s all-time sack leader but redshirted last season), Junior Alexis (a two-star recruit who joined UM last September after originally committing to Hawaii) and early arrival Dwayne Hoilett (a three-star recruit who had 52 tackles and 6.5 sacks at Vero Beach High but must bulk up from 230).

Green, who is first on the depth chart at the end spot opposite first-teamer Chickillo, “is stronger than he ever has been,” Golden said. “Very strong, explosive kid. Ricardo has developed nicely for us. Hoilett has a shot for us there. We’re bringing in several guys. We should be good there.”
Several well-regarded freshmen arrive this summer: Tyriq McCord, Jelani Hamilton and Jake O’Donnell.

### Golden is excited about tight end Asante Cleveland, who had only one catch last season and never regained his edge after shoulder surgery. Now he’s first on the depth chart, ahead of Clive Walford.
“Other than Ray Ray, Asante Cleveland has had the best offseason,” Golden said. “He’s almost 270 pounds [up from 240 two years ago], running well. We missed that at tight end – a big physical guy who can do it all. His body looks different.”

Said Cleveland: “Last year was frustrating because it was the first year I wasn’t playing.”

### Don’t overstate the significance of the depth chart, which is “based on the offseason program in general – on weight room and how they perform on the field,” Golden said. “There’s no message. We all coached a 6-6 team. That’s not good enough for anybody.”
### Golden, on the quarterback battle this spring with Stephen Morris sidelined after back surgery: “It’s going to be like a play-in game. Somebody will be competing with Stephen in the summer.” With Morris out, Ryan Williams, Gray Crow and Preston Dewey comprise the depth*chart in that order. (Our Robbie Levin will have a story on Williams posted later on the web site.) Golden said he doesn't know how Morris got injured; he had surgery earlier this week and should be fine for August.

### Early arrival Ereck Flowers, the former Norland High standout, is listed behind Malcolm Bunche at left tackle and “has blown us away” in the offseason program, Golden said.

### Philip Dorsett is listed as the first team punt and kickoff returner, but UM wants to give Dallas Crawford a look in both roles.

“He came in a little out of shape [last year], got hurt, wasn’t in the mix,” Golden said.* “But he’s lost 18, 19 pounds and is 190. He’s quicker than he is fast and tough as nails and competitive. We’re trying to find spots for him to help us in addition to running back.”
### Golden said Eduardo Clements “is going to be a really good player. He just kind of figures it out. At the end of last year, he was the guy we wanted on the field on third down and in short yardage. We have two talented guys coming in.”

### Golden’s goal this spring? “That we become a fundamentally sound team, not a team that beats itself. You start to sense it’s a little different already because of the offseason program. We’re trying to build something that’s going to last. The guys have a much more mature, results-oriented approach.”

### Receivers coach George McDonald also*will assume the new role of passing game coordinator, to assist offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-addresses-assorted-issues.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Cleveland at 270 good lord

McGee better step his game up

McDonald getting prepared to take over if/when Fisch leaves?

"McGee “should be better than he is,” Golden said. “No excuse. That’s it, end of story.”"

1.gif

Cleveland at 270 good lord

McGee better step his game up

McDonald getting prepared to take over if/when Fisch leaves?

That was my first thought as well, great planning and great choice if so.

Golden doesn't sugar coat anything...so if he thinks the team is stronger then they must be stronger.

do not know when the hard work will translate to wins ,but it has to sooner or later. the hard work and discipline will pay off, reap what you sow

Advertisement
Also great to hear that Cleveland is packing on good weight and Crawford is taking it off. Also Flowers is destined for a great career here IMO. All the tools and a great work ethic usually ends up paying off.

Ugh, what a disappointment McGee has been. The one CB Shannon was was able to get in in how long, he has every opportunity to have a starting spot and he is f'ing it up.

Advertisement
I dont understand the Mcghee diss... Didn't he play QB in high school.. I don't remember the kid ever playing corner coming out of high school, but Im pretty sure I'm wrong.

Golden isnt messing around. He tells it like it is and we need that badly. Cant wait to get the other recruits in.

Advertisement
I dont understand the Mcghee diss... Didn't he play QB in high school.. I don't remember the kid ever playing corner coming out of high school, but Im pretty sure I'm wrong.

Its just another example of how ridiculous the star system is. McGee was a 4 star CB before he even played the position.

Whatever. Its a crapshoot that gets played all the time, trying to make an athlete his speed be a CB.

Personally I like taking guys that just know how to play the position.

Advertisement
What's funny is that we had a bunch of geniuses like Chicken n Roffles telling me i was "completely stupid" when I implied that McGee might not even be with the team come fall. They went on and on about how he was our "best CB" and all that other garbage.

Where you at, Chicken??? lmao. I guess you're the one looking pretty stupid now.

This kid hasnt done a **** thing in four years here and is easily in the danger zone of being asked to "graduate".

Yea, because depth charts based on how offseason programs really prove your point . How was Spencer Whipple this past year as our starting QB?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...ve-the-best-offseason-for-canes-football.html

Only 11 guys benched 225 more than 20 times last year compared to 31 this season

obviously the bench press isnt the end all be all, but as many others can attest to, getting stronger in the bench usually means you are getting stronger in other areas as well. Its encouraging to see, for sure.

We have crowned practice all americans in the past but Mike James might go down as a weight room hall of fame inductee. He has always heen a beast in there.

Advertisement
Back