Golden not calling timeout before the half...

In the situation it was the right move , but i knew there would be people complaining about it . Due to Duke playing so far back there was no way we were going to complete a few deep passes to get into scoring range and FGs are outta the question until we get our kicker back from injury so just get to half make some Offensive adjustments ( the D was playing lights out) and win the game in the 2nd half as we did . Loved how we only went deep 2-3 times in the 2nd half and just took the running yards ahead of us . Why we won the game.

Advertisement
4th down with a minute and change left in the half (and Duke gets the ball after the half), Duke had the ball in an obvious punting situation, we have two timeouts but Golden doesn't use one; instead, he lets Duke run the clock down for a minute and punt to end the half. Weakest **** I've ever seen.

We've got playmakers who can score from anywhere But Golden doesn't even try to make something happen. Call timeout. Catch the punt. Light them up. No reason we can't score in a minute against Duke and definitely no reason why we should be too scared to try especially when we're ripping off 6-7 yard runs on first down in normal situations. In this situation, theyd be playing on their heels not trying to give up the long ball. A first down draw or RB screen probably would've gone for big yardage with low risk, then you take some shots.

I think it's a small detail, easily overlooked after the fact, but it really speaks to how Golden is soft and coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win.

Anyone disagree and think it was the right move?

Edit: We were only up 9-7 at the time with Duke receiving after the half.

Once again just grasping and looking for anything even after a win....

Oh BTW the so called "soft coach" went for it on 4th and 19....

With this board he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Lets say we turn the ball over or something bad happens and Duke gets the momentum going into halftime and they would receive the ball to start the 2nd half. You same guys would be mother*cking him to death...

Last edited:
with this staff..... kinda happy with the decision , still looks like were missing something ? on both sides of ball
will take a win ..... think 8-4 is reasonable but a victory over Hokes or Noles would make it a positive season

Offense had no momentum. Duke was going to be able to pin us deep. AG probably wanted to get into the locker room and beat the **** out of Coley for calling bubble screens and not riding with the running game (his interview at the half pretty much confirms that).

Advertisement
We still need to get third downs figured out....we went 2 for 13....if we covert 5 more of those we win big

The long FG that our kicker took was also a terrible call. Way too long, kid just hit his first career kick last week... You go for it, or punt it

Advertisement
I think the biggest mistake was Duke not throwing a hail Mary. Why would u punt from the 50 with 8 sec. Left?

I don't hear anyone talking about the Gus fumble. 1:49 left, duke has 1 timeout. Do the math on 3 qb kneels. Could have been disastrous.

Advertisement
I'm hesitant to ever bet another over on a game that I think we'll win. Although the timeout call infuriated me at the time, upon review you can justify the decision either way. That said, I would love for Alfred to show a little more killer instinct once in a while in situations like that. Don't always opt for Wannstache ball or Radio clock management going into halftime. We've seemed to take a lot of knees and allow clocks to run out when there's at least around a minute left.

I had a bigger issue with not going for the 4th and 3 and we attempted the 52 yard field goal with a green kicker.

That was a head scratcher to me.

Advertisement
The long FG that our kicker took was also a terrible call. Way too long, kid just hit his first career kick last week... You go for it, or punt it

Well he did have the distance on it...

I know, but kicking it hard and far is a tougher challenge, especially for a young kicker. A lot of them overthink it and focus too much on kicking it hard but their accuracy is off.

I think the biggest mistake was Duke not throwing a hail Mary. Why would u punt from the 50 with 8 sec. Left?

That was my biggest concern and it's the biggest reason why it was a mistake by Golden not to call a timeout there.

Late last night in the Oregon State vs. USC game on ESPN, the exact same scenario occurred. OSU's Mike Riley, after his defense stopped them on third down, allowed the clock to run all the way down instead of calling a timeout. USC had the ball around midfield on fourth and long with under :10 remaining in the half.

Sarkisian decided to attempt a Hail Mary since it would be the final play of the half. USC's Darreus Rogers came down with it in the end zone to extend the Trojans' lead to 21-10 at the half. The chances of completing the Hail Mary are obviously slim, but you completely eliminate the opponent's willingness to attempt it if you call timeout in that spot. Calling a timeout forces the punt and then if you want to kneel down, so be it.

Luckily Cutcliffe opted to punt, but it was still another time management mistake by Golden.

Last edited:
L

That was my biggest concern and it's the biggest reason why it was a mistake by Golden not to call a timeout there.

Late last night in the Oregon State vs. USC game on ESPN, the exact same scenario occurred. OSU's Mike Riley, after his defense stopped them on third down, allowed the clock to run all the way down instead of calling a timeout. USC had the ball around midfield on fourth and long with under :10 remaining in the half.

Sarkisian decided to attempt a Hail Mary since it would be the final play of the half. USC's Darreus Rogers came down with it in the end zone to extend the Trojans' lead to 21-10 at the half. The chances of completing the Hail Mary are obviously slim, but you completely eliminate the opponent's willingness to attempt it if you call timeout in that spot. Calling a timeout forces the punt and then if you want to kneel down, so be it.

Luckily Cutcliffe opted to punt, but it was still another time management mistake by Golden.

By not calling a TO Duke could have gone for the Hail Mary. Golden needs to call the TO and force them to punt.

Advertisement
Back