Golden not calling timeout before the half...

I think the biggest mistake was Duke not throwing a hail Mary. Why would u punt from the 50 with 8 sec. Left?

That was my biggest concern and it's the biggest reason why it was a mistake by Golden not to call a timeout there.

Late last night in the Oregon State vs. USC game on ESPN, the exact same scenario occurred. OSU's Mike Riley, after his defense stopped them on third down, allowed the clock to run all the way down instead of calling a timeout. USC had the ball around midfield on fourth and long with under :10 remaining in the half.

Sarkisian decided to attempt a Hail Mary since it would be the final play of the half. USC's Darreus Rogers came down with it in the end zone to extend the Trojans' lead to 21-10 at the half. The chances of completing the Hail Mary are obviously slim, but you completely eliminate the opponent's willingness to attempt it if you call timeout in that spot. Calling a timeout forces the punt and then if you want to kneel down, so be it.

Luckily Cutcliffe opted to punt, but it was still another time management mistake by Golden.

Great point. Never thought of that.

Advertisement
Typical. AG has always had the mindset "play to not lose" instead of playing to win. Huge difference.

4th down with a minute and change left in the half (and Duke gets the ball after the half), Duke had the ball in an obvious punting situation, we have two timeouts but Golden doesn't use one; instead, he lets Duke run the clock down for a minute and punt to end the half. Weakest **** I've ever seen.

We've got playmakers who can score from anywhere But Golden doesn't even try to make something happen. Call timeout. Catch the punt. Light them up. No reason we can't score in a minute against Duke and definitely no reason why we should be too scared to try especially when we're ripping off 6-7 yard runs on first down in normal situations. In this situation, theyd be playing on their heels not trying to give up the long ball. A first down draw or RB screen probably would've gone for big yardage with low risk, then you take some shots.

I think it's a small detail, easily overlooked after the fact, but it really speaks to how Golden is soft and coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win.

Anyone disagree and think it was the right move?

Edit: We were only up 9-7 at the time with Duke receiving after the half.

this has many names: mediocracy, pussification, timidness, passiveness, Mr Nice Guy....all describe the individual we know as Al Golden

Or maybe coley doesn't catch the punt. Im not sure I would have played it that way but it's not lunacy. Much better examples of ways to criticize coaching. I'd say with a freshman qb who had lost all momentum it made sense to take a lead into the half and settle him down.

Come on, what percentage of punts end in a drop. I am willing to bet well below 1%. It shouldnt be a factor in your decision.

Advertisement
At that point we had something like six straight three and outs and Brad was out of synch. Also Coley looked like he was having trouble fielding the punts. Why risk it? Get into the locker room with the lead and get your freshman QB refocused and come out and dominate the second half.

Advertisement
Golden coaches like a *****. He doesnt have what it takes to coach here. He's weak.

He did the same **** against Louisville, and Petrino did the exact opposite and tried to get the ball back. It's pathetic.

Advertisement
Back