Golden not calling timeout before the half...

D

deleted1562

4th down with a minute and change left in the half (and Duke gets the ball after the half), Duke had the ball in an obvious punting situation, we have two timeouts but Golden doesn't use one; instead, he lets Duke run the clock down for a minute and punt to end the half. Weakest **** I've ever seen.

We've got playmakers who can score from anywhere But Golden doesn't even try to make something happen. Call timeout. Catch the punt. Light them up. No reason we can't score in a minute against Duke and definitely no reason why we should be too scared to try especially when we're ripping off 6-7 yard runs on first down in normal situations. In this situation, theyd be playing on their heels not trying to give up the long ball. A first down draw or RB screen probably would've gone for big yardage with low risk, then you take some shots.

I think it's a small detail, easily overlooked after the fact, but it really speaks to how Golden is soft and coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win.

Anyone disagree and think it was the right move?

Edit: We were only up 9-7 at the time with Duke receiving after the half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I agreed with the call. I get trying to be aggressive but the offense wasnt hitting on all cylinders at that point. So Id prefer just going to the half and get everyone on track. Every situation is different -- but in that case just knee it and go the half

Call TO force Duke to punt. See where your starting Field position is if it is bad take a knee. Maybe they shank the punt or it is a good return by Coley.

Advertisement
Or maybe coley doesn't catch the punt. Im not sure I would have played it that way but it's not lunacy. Much better examples of ways to criticize coaching. I'd say with a freshman qb who had lost all momentum it made sense to take a lead into the half and settle him down.

That call was 50/50 but I totally disagreed with not going for it on the 54 yard missed fieldbgoal

A conservative coach like Golden lets the clock run out, while a slinger like Art Briles calls every timeout he has to get the ball back. It is what it is, unfortunately.

Advertisement
I agreed with the call. I get trying to be aggressive but the offense wasnt hitting on all cylinders at that point. So Id prefer just going to the half and get everyone on track. Every situation is different -- but in that case just knee it and go the half
Not only that, Duke's punting from near midfield. You've completely lost momentum. Get to halftime. Plus, Duke's offense was still lined up at the time on 4th and short.

I was good with it. We would've got the ball inside the 20 with less than 40 secs. No need to try and force it and give up a turnover. Did Duke score at the beginning of the half?

Or maybe coley doesn't catch the punt. Im not sure I would have played it that way but it's not lunacy. Much better examples of ways to criticize coaching. I'd say with a freshman qb who had lost all momentum it made sense to take a lead into the half and settle him down.

If Golden didn't call timeout because he thought Coley might drop the punt then that's the definition of coaching scared. Gotta trust that your guys can operate. And we're not talking about calling timeout with ten seconds to catch a punt and throw a 80 yard Hail Mary (that's some Madden ****). There was a full minute on the clock and we still would've had another timeout to use.

If Golden didn't call timeout because he thought Coley might drop the punt then that's the definition of coaching scared. Gotta trust that your guys can operate. And we're not talking about calling timeout with ten seconds to catch a punt and throw a 80 yard Hail Mary (that's some Madden ****). There was a full minute on the clock and we still would've had another timeout to use.
It's easy to say "trust your guys". I'm sure he trusted gus wouldn't fumble at the end of the game too.

Advertisement
I was good with it. We would've got the ball inside the 20 with less than 40 secs. No need to try and force it and give up a turnover. Did Duke score at the beginning of the half?

No, but that doesn't matter because you can't predict the future.

It's the kind of *****assness that has plagued this program for years. Agree with the OP. dook's punter played well, so did their punt coverage team. Call timeout and BLOCK that punt. Make a play! Force a bad punt so you can get good filed position for your offense and SCORE. Play to win!!

Cutcliffe suckered Golden into thinking Duke was going for it, which resulted in Golden wanting to run out the clock.

Advertisement

It's easy to say "trust your guys". I'm sure he trusted gus wouldn't fumble at the end of the game too.

Of course he did, and he should, but that's not the question. Does Gus fumbling make Golden's decision to run the ball up the middle with 1:45 left in the game up 12 a bad decision? The answer is no.

Even if they somehow scoop up the fumble and run it in for a touchdown, kick an onside kick, get it back, and score again to win the game, Golden's decision to run it up the middle with 1:45 on the clock up 12 is still a good decision.

I feel like we are riding in a sports car, & the driver has left the parking brake on.

This one instant speaks to & reveals what this regime is made of.
I remember having a similar epiphany during our last dance at The OB.
This kind of b!thchassery is not in the programs DNA, & yet we've been
infected by weakness. It's a recipe for a slow death.

Last edited:
4th down with a minute and change left in the half (and Duke gets the ball after the half), Duke had the ball in an obvious punting situation, we have two timeouts but Golden doesn't use one; instead, he lets Duke run the clock down for a minute and punt to end the half. Weakest **** I've ever seen.

We've got playmakers who can score from anywhere But Golden doesn't even try to make something happen. Call timeout. Catch the punt. Light them up. No reason we can't score in a minute against Duke and definitely no reason why we should be too scared to try especially when we're ripping off 6-7 yard runs on first down in normal situations. In this situation, theyd be playing on their heels not trying to give up the long ball. A first down draw or RB screen probably would've gone for big yardage with low risk, then you take some shots.

I think it's a small detail, easily overlooked after the fact, but it really speaks to how Golden is soft and coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win.

he was saving them for half time

Guy seems to be afraid of his own shadow!!! ****, I was thinking the same. We talk about the defense playing time, this was a way to put Duke on their heels and allow your defense more time off. The quarter would have gotten extended. There are safe plays that could have generated big plays with our superior athletes. Come on AL you know our kids are talented, act like it!!!

Advertisement
Back