Golden asked about 3rd and 2

Advertisement
So your defense relies on turnovers, Al. Good luck buddy.

I'm sick of all this we didn't get off the field on 3rd down, didn't get stops on first down. We ****ing know that, the question is why you fat ****ing piece of ****. Corbata de Mierda

If you want to cause turnovers, you should be hitting the QB and FB every dam play. Which we didn't.

Of course we did. It might have been seven yards downfield on 3rd and 1, but we hit them.

I forget whether it Lu or D who said this but when you're playing that far back from the line its like trying to tackle a piano moving downhill. They're caught in space hoping to wrap up. Instead of coming downhill at the ball carrier its the opposite.

I mentioned it after the Nebraska game. Because, in a kind of absurd way, EVERY SINGLE coaching camp, clinic or seminar that you go to has a defensive coach talking about stopping a good RB *before he gets started downhill.*

To add to that, I played Safety and tackling anyone who's already coming downhill at you is a losing proposition whether you're the biggest guy in the world, surest tackler or whatever. The ability to cutback into wide open space or just the sheer physics of tackling a guy coming at you full speed when you've likely taken your first two steps back in coverage (and have to guess where he's going) are just parts of what makes this a weird approach to consistently rely on.

"[W]eird approach"? I'd say inconceivable.

Idk if this was posted yet.

Q: Your struggling puts a microscope on everything. People are posting pictures of the defense off TV. Like a third and two play in both games, Nebraska and Georgia Tech, they'll snap the screen and it'll show Denzel Perryman, for instance, seven yards off the ball on third and one or third and two and the play gets converted and that opens up a snowstorm of criticism. What would be the explanation for things like that which might be contributing to the struggles in getting off the field on third down?

Golden: Denzel's depth is a function of the defense. Depending what we're doing with the defensive tackles his first gap might have to get outside (and he needs room off the line to get there). He's never supposed to be seven yards, we want him at six. We tried to get him to move up during the game. … in terms of the Georgia Tech game, that was designed. He's designed to be there. The tackles and perhaps one of the outside linebackers who was blitzing is responsible for the dive. Many times he's responsible for the dive because many of the times we're asking him to scrape fast because the outside linebacker is coming. What I'm saying is we move them back in certain instances because we're bringing the outside linebacker and his [Perryman's] gap (would be) outside. I don't know which play you're talking about. The last three years we beat that team running the same stuff. We got takeaways, third down stops, got a fourth down stop. And the offense in both years was 50 percent last year, 60 something the year before in Atlanta. That makes it a markedly different game. You have to beat that team as a team. We didn't play well enough on defense, have to get off the field on defense, and the offense and special teams didn't help the defense.

I just ****ing laughed out loud. I love that ****. It's like arguing with a latin girlfriend. We're talking about why you lied about some phone call that happened at 1AM, and she wants to blow **** up, toss knives and scream that "it happened at 12:45AM!!!"

LMAO!!!!!!

Edit: BTW, I'm not as much of as X & O guy as some of you, but after reading Golden's response, is he not basically saying without even realizing it that we are tipping our hand when we plan on doing certain things?

Yes. But, everyone has known that. Our alignment tips our action each time. Just like last year when our personnel groupings tipped what we'd do on 3rd and long. Now, he's saying "QB, take a look at our LB depth." But, really, any coach worth his salt was seeing that anyway. If FSU and Vtech line up in anything but 4WR and just run repeatedly down our throat, Jimbo and Beamer are openly trying to keep Golden in the ACC.

The Golden hatred has now obviously trumped Shannon.

Shannon was simply pathetic and verbally defensless at the end. Golden is just going to **** everyone off as he tries to vainly talk his way out of an impossible situation. He can't admit his core philosophy is a loser.....it's his career going down the toilet.

Q: Your struggling puts a microscope on everything. People are posting pictures of the defense off TV. Like a third and two play in both games, Nebraska and Georgia Tech, they'll snap the screen and it'll show Denzel Perryman, for instance, seven yards off the ball on third and one or third and two and the play gets converted and that opens up a snowstorm of criticism. What would be the explanation for things like that which might be contributing to the struggles in getting off the field on third down?

Golden: Denzel's depth is a function of the defense. Depending what we're doing with the defensive tackles his first gap might have to get outside (and he needs room off the line to get there). He's never supposed to be seven yards, we want him at six. We tried to get him to move up during the game. … in terms of the Georgia Tech game, that was designed. He's designed to be there. The tackles and perhaps one of the outside linebackers who was blitzing is responsible for the dive. Many times he's responsible for the dive because many of the times we're asking him to scrape fast because the outside linebacker is coming. What I'm saying is we move them back in certain instances because we're bringing the outside linebacker and his [Perryman's] gap (would be) outside. I don't know which play you're talking about. The last three years we beat that team running the same stuff. We got takeaways, third down stops, got a fourth down stop. And the offense in both years was 50 percent last year, 60 something the year before in Atlanta. That makes it a markedly different game. You have to beat that team as a team. We didn't play well enough on defense, have to get off the field on defense, and the offense and special teams didn't help the defense.

I just ****ing laughed out loud. I love that ****. It's like arguing with a latin girlfriend. We're talking about why you lied about some phone call that happened at 1AM, and she wants to blow **** up, toss knives and scream that "it happened at 12:45AM!!!"

LMAO!!!!!!

Edit: BTW, I'm not as much of as X & O guy as some of you, but after reading Golden's response, is he not basically saying without even realizing it that we are tipping our hand when we plan on doing certain things?

Yes. But, everyone has known that. Our alignment tips our action each time. Just like last year when our personnel groupings tipped what we'd do on 3rd and long. Now, he's saying "QB, take a look at our LB depth." But, really, any coach worth his salt was seeing that anyway. If FSU and Vtech line up in anything but 4WR and just run repeatedly down our throat, Jimbo and Beamer are openly trying to keep Golden in the ACC.

I was focusing on the fact that he actually said it and didn't even realize it.

Advertisement
The Golden hatred has now obviously trumped Shannon.

Shannon was simply pathetic and verbally defensless at the end. Golden is just going to **** everyone off as he tries to vainly talk his way out of an impossible situation. He can't admit his core philosophy is a loser.....it's his career going down the toilet.

This. Shannon was mocked for his lack of grasp of the english language and funny mannerisms on the sideline and the fact that he was not a great CEO. With Golden, otoh, he is trying to pull the wool over our eyes with his pathetic spin control - he's lying to us and fans don't take that well. He tried to prop us for leverage for leaving, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Shannon also threw players under the bus, used mealy mouthed excuses but Golden is just on another level.

do you guys think that Goldens understanding of players in the box is 10 yards? sowhen he has safeties at 10 yds he thinks theyre in the box

The thing I cannot understand is thinking that it's a good idea to have ONLY your interior DL responsible for the dive. It's as if Al Golden went into a coma in 1984 and missed the whole "4-3 over front single gap" movement that essentially whiped out the option as an offense.

Advertisement
Man I hate this guy. It's insulting some of the **** he tries to pass off in these rambling blame sessions

The thing I cannot understand is thinking that it's a good idea to have ONLY your interior DL responsible for the dive. It's as if Al Golden went into a coma in 1984 and missed the whole "4-3 over front single gap" movement that essentially whiped out the option as an offense.

He was in a "1984" coma studying his manipulative Orwellian corchspeak. 3 + 4 = 8

Dline has to handle the dive regardless if 7, 8 or 9 in the box. A Dline that disrupts the dive screws everything up with this offense. I saw guys getting blown off the ball on occasion. Perryman has to clean everything else up. It's not fun to defend.

Every team sets defensive and offensive goals for each game:

Ie...

Holdopponent under 100 yds rushing
Force 2 turnovers
Record 3 sacks

What the **** do our coaches put on the chalkboard for the defense?

Stop 3rd downs and force turnovers?

That's the goal?

Wtf is that

Advertisement
He is talking the rectangle box from CB to CB. Thats what he means when he say in the box. kak sucker

It's better when you get just cut the chord, get the ugliness out of the way and move on. We're about 2 months away from that, which is depressing. All I want is a fluke win against FSU.

Al Golden.jpg

Advertisement
LMBO....OK, so here's the thing; ummmm, Ok, Ok, OK...so when you don't get off the field on third down, who's fault is that? Who's fault is it for your BEST TACKLER to be off the L.O.S 7 yrds when it's a 3rd and 2 and an obvious run play? Usually when you lose a T.O.P battle, it's b/c you couldn't get off the field, correct????????? And the reason you couldn't get off the field is b/c you put 4 in the box w/ an additional 3 some 7yrds off the line against a 9 man front!!! Do the F'n Math dummy; 9 always trumps 4. And Ice was expected to get a degree to coach here when this buffoon can't even do basic arithmetic as a coach? Couldn't get off the field and that's why we lost, my ***...that's like saying, yeah we continued to give up the big run, but if we would've stop the big run then they wouldn't had scored so easily! NO F'N DUH, D-BAG?!! Thanks for being so Obvious Captain Obvious. SMH. I can officially say I HATE AL GOLDEN. Like seriously, if I saw him in the streets, there's a 99% chance I'll swing on him. How douchesque can he be!!

Dline has to handle the dive regardless if 7, 8 or 9 in the box. A Dline that disrupts the dive screws everything up with this offense. I saw guys getting blown off the ball on occasion. Perryman has to clean everything else up. It's not fun to defend.

your pic makes me wanna punch you. nothing personal, just your pic. you do realize why we don't have a disruptive d-line correct? they are taught to engage and not taught how to attack. that's why our d-line will never be disruptive. and just like last yr, we start off sooooo hot in the statistical rankings, and then as time goes by, we plummett back to being where we've been the last 3yrs, in the bottom 3rd nationally.

Advertisement
Back