Godby v. IMG Academy (Sun Sports)

LMAO Ok people - having coached in the same program Fines was at last year - I think I can enlighten some of you on this athlete - believe me he is an athlete.

I came across this discussion looking for a preview of the Godby - IMG game. I just had to register to set the record straight.

We got him after he started as a Soph at what was Colorado's top program. There's a lot of misconception about this kid - not sure where it comes from, but his decision not to attend camps, etc after committing to Miami probably has something to do with it.

First the kid is huge - but to look at him you'd guess his weight at 285 - 290 when he weighed 310 in the spring. He's a legit just shy of 6'4" Everybody says he's slow, can't run. We timed him at 5.0 in the 40 when he was over 310. He's also naturally strong, very strong upper and lower. He has a pair of the biggest paws I've ever seen on a high school kid. He grew up playing hockey (he wore Florida Panther shirts - so I'm guessing that's his team if any of you care), and that probably created his tremendous lower body strength & toughness.

Those that say he was 'free to go' because Christmas (who should have been a 5 star, but took a few plays off) was double teamed, never watched our game film. Fact is we kept double team stats. Christmas was double teamed 15% of the time. And Fines? 44% of the time. Part of this was no doubt Fines playing his less natural NT position and Christmas played the 3. But the fact is he was double teamed 44% of the time. This year we were to play him at the 3 and I'm guessing that is where he will play this year at IMG. Christmas ran a 4.8, and was slower then both DE's (one now playing at Duke). So with the double teams and the speed of his line mates - no wonder Fines did not get many sacks.

Somebody thinks he will be dominated? LOL - he was never dominated last year as a junior and he went against some of the top OL's in the country at Gilman, University and a team from DC (name escapes me). He also went against one of the best OL's in the country every week in practice. Fines was routinely double teamed against 300 pounders, most of who will play college ball. To my knowledge no one last year ran his gap. Godby might be big on their OL - no way they will dominate this young man (who by the way is a great kid). Fact is - I'll be surprised if they run his gap (provided he's healthy - he had a tweaked ankle in the spring).

BTW, I am a Gator and think Muschamp made a big mistake not offering this kid (as I told him). Golden and his staff are no dummies. They know what they have.

Wish I could tell you guys good luck...sorry.

I liked his film before he committed , honestly thought we didn't have a chance . Figured UF would eventually offer .

Advertisement
I appreciate the solid info great to know about the double team stats but fines doesn't like just shy of 6'4 here

493.jpg

Patchan is listed at 6'5" and 1/2 and St.Louis at 6'6" so Fines at just under 6'4" I can buy.

So they are likely closer to 6'4" and he is closer to 6'2" after the normal 2" bump.

Advertisement
LMAO Ok people - having coached in the same program Fines was at last year - I think I can enlighten some of you on this athlete - believe me he is an athlete.

I came across this discussion looking for a preview of the Godby - IMG game. I just had to register to set the record straight.

We got him after he started as a Soph at what was Colorado's top program. There's a lot of misconception about this kid - not sure where it comes from, but his decision not to attend camps, etc after committing to Miami probably has something to do with it.

First the kid is huge - but to look at him you'd guess his weight at 285 - 290 when he weighed 310 in the spring. He's a legit just shy of 6'4" Everybody says he's slow, can't run. We timed him at 5.0 in the 40 when he was over 310. He's also naturally strong, very strong upper and lower. He has a pair of the biggest paws I've ever seen on a high school kid. He grew up playing hockey (he wore Florida Panther shirts - so I'm guessing that's his team if any of you care), and that probably created his tremendous lower body strength & toughness.

Those that say he was 'free to go' because Christmas (who should have been a 5 star, but took a few plays off) was double teamed, never watched our game film. Fact is we kept double team stats. Christmas was double teamed 15% of the time. And Fines? 44% of the time. Part of this was no doubt Fines playing his less natural NT position and Christmas played the 3. But the fact is he was double teamed 44% of the time. This year we were to play him at the 3 and I'm guessing that is where he will play this year at IMG. Christmas ran a 4.8, and was slower then both DE's (one now playing at Duke). So with the double teams and the speed of his line mates - no wonder Fines did not get many sacks.

Somebody thinks he will be dominated? LOL - he was never dominated last year as a junior and he went against some of the top OL's in the country at Gilman, University and a team from DC (name escapes me). He also went against one of the best OL's in the country every week in practice. Fines was routinely double teamed against 300 pounders, most of who will play college ball. To my knowledge no one last year ran his gap. Godby might be big on their OL - no way they will dominate this young man (who by the way is a great kid). Fact is - I'll be surprised if they run his gap (provided he's healthy - he had a tweaked ankle in the spring).

BTW, I am a Gator and think Muschamp made a big mistake not offering this kid (as I told him). Golden and his staff are no dummies. They know what they have.

im glad you came in and shed some light on him. I know personally i couldnt see what the staff seen in him but he sounds like a steal. I know Paronos loved him. Thanks for the insight. i love this site for this reason.

thanks
428.gif

Amazes me how much more so many here know about a kid as opposed to a staff who spends 100'ed of hours evaluating kids, scouting them in person and evaluating them up close in camps. If Bama offered the kid 15 minutes from now their whole opinion would change. Because Al and staff were handcuffed by the NCAA for his first 3 recruiting classes, I'm gonna trust their judgement and see how the next 2 classes perform.

Advertisement
I mentioned earlier about the number of double teams Fines was facing. Christmas should have been commanding the double as a senior last year. Thanks for the info.

Ryan Fines
After watching his Hudl film, is it me or is he underrated? Watching him next to 4 star Demarcus Christmas (#90 who signed with FSU, #6 ranked DT in the country last year). He seems to be quicker off the ball and seems to face more double teams despite being a year younger and less known. He might be a steal at DT. Great hustle, can penetrate, strong as an ox taking on double teams, not much of a pass rusher though. Now knowing this is his highlight film, I went back to watch Christmas' junior film and it was no where near as impressive IMO playing alongside 4 star Derrick Calloway who signed with USF. IMO this I'd is really underrated or Christmas is really overrated. What do you guys think?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1546521/...ghts/121997377 Fines film

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/406474/highlights/10447384 Christmas film

Christmas is really good. From Tampa area (more of a Plant follower) but the kid is huge and explosive. Best DT I have seen in person at high school level. Fines wasn't far behind as a year younger.

Hope Patchan, St. Louis and Fines ball out this year.

By the way, I think Fines is a good player. I don't think he will be a star, but I see him being a solid NT down the line.

Patchan and St. Louis have loads of potential as players.

Other than the big 3 commits and Lewis at CB....Any other UM targets I should look for in this game? Thanks

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back