God help me I just watched a whole bunch of Albany football

Advertisement
Not really IMO. Based on his different release points I think he can get the job done. That said, if I'm a DC and I'm facing any QB 6 foot or under, I'm telling them to get those hands up.
Exactly. Release is as important as height. One of TVDs weakness was that for a QB of his size he got an inordinate number of passes batted down at the line because of his release.

Advertisement
Okay folks, here we go - watched the Marshall, SDST, and Idaho condensed games and here's what I saw:

- Albany is tiny. They're not a bad FCS team just their lines are little, their RBs are little, they're just a small team. Pause.

- Believe it or don't I can definitely see the Mayfield comparison. Poffo has good mechanics when set, albeit a bit hitchy on horizontal routes. He has a compact release on deep balls, but off-balance is where he shines. Has that full body sidearm motion on the move. Extends plays with his legs but always looking to throw. He's probably a legit 6 foot. Taller and leaner than D King.

- Shockingly accurate deep ball. Like I was really surprised - his corner and fade routes are really well placed. Velocity over the middle is great. Definitely enough arm talent. Scans the field well - really surprised to see him go through reads.

- the 58% completion thing - I'll keep digging but I saw a ton of drops, throwaways on the run, etc. This isn't a "dude short hops passes" situation from what I could see.

- Albany hung with Marshall mainly due to their QB. Yeah it's Marshall but think of it like App St or Duke having to run out the clock vs FAMU and you'll get an idea of the talent gap

- I checked out the SDST game cause Albany got absolutely shellacked and I wanted to see why. Short answer is they were outclassed from the start. Poffo threw an INT on an RPO on the 2nd drive (not a terrible throw it was a quick hit over the middle and the LB made a great play) and they just couldn't get anything going. Ended up 30/44 with 3 picks. RB also gave up a fumble scoop and score. SDST D was all over the place.

All in all this kid is definitely a P4 QB, IMO. Can make every throw, has good wheels, shows toughness, makes good decisions. One "aha" play came in the quarterfinals v. Idaho. Dude stepped up, spun away from 2 guys and flicked it 45 yards to the back of the endzone for a TD.

I still think we need another experienced QB in the portal. That hasn't changed. But I'm less terrified with this take than I was a couple hours ago, so that's something I spose.

I salute u amigo. You really got your hands dirty here for the good of the group. Appreciate it. Stats do not lie, but context is so important, especially in a situation like this.

Ive been beating the drum that we need both a true #1 QB AND someone with some experience as an insurance policy and to provide competition for the backup QB spot. Looks like 1 of those boxes is checked. Im not for or against him yet since I havent seen him. Your assessment provides a little more context for me to chew on.

This round is on me

single malt glass GIF

1704755602796.gif

Andy Samberg Flirting GIF

1704755755613.gif

Advertisement
I also noticed in the film he throws a lot of balls away. Seems like he was coached hard to do that, probably bc their oline is ***. So that may be a factor to consider for his completion percentage.

One thing he will have to work on, he throws a lot of balls off his back leg. Again, probably a habit learned being behind an incompetent oline as he's always moving backward.

Give him a good oline, coach some bad habits out of him, and there may be something there.

Wow. An educated, lucid opinion on a player based on actually sitting down and watching their game film. Didn't think that was a thing around these parts.
Probably will bar him from posting in future if he keeps on offering a reasoned evaluation and not one from his ***. Thankfully, the malingerers and posters who hate everything are the minority.

Advertisement
FWIW having watched a bit of film on both, I like Poffo better than Howard for Dawson's scheme.

I avoided this because some fans cant see the forest for the trees as they walk upon the woods.

Some players just fit certain schemes better. Only a few players in history are so transcendent and talented they can Trump any scheme.

I really cant see Ward in this offense. He is a true spread QB. Im talking every play at least 2 receivers outside the hashes type Spread QB.

I avoided this because some fans cant see the forest for the trees as they walk upon the woods.

Some players just fit certain schemes better. Only a few players in history are so transcendent and talented they can Trump any scheme.

I really cant see Ward in this offense. He is a true spread QB. Im talking every play at least 2 receivers outside the hashes type Spread QB.

I think Ward fits what Dawson wants to run just fine. If you're looking at pre-implosion TVD you'll see what I mean. We were slinging it.

I think Ward fits what Dawson wants to run just fine. If you're looking at pre-implosion TVD you'll see what I mean. We were slinging it.

When i said " I cant see him in this offense". I didnt mean his capabilities. I know he can slang it in the vertical passing game. I meant the formations and the running the ball. I think the kid likes actual air raid not "air raid is a mindset".

I think he likes having the ball in his hands to do his thing. 11 to 13 personnel and running the ball on 4th and 2 without him as an option. I can't see that being acceptable to the young man.

Advertisement
How can you ask this when you saw a 6'3+ Emory get multiple balls batted down?
How much of the batted down balls are as a result of staring down receivers? I’d take a 6 ft QB who can look off his receivers and go through his progressions over a giant QB who consistently stares down his receivers.

I’m not gonna overly praise a guy straight out of FCS, I wanna see how he adapts to the speed of P4 football first. Maybe he can be something down the road later/ be a backup. He’s got some traits, but he shouldn’t see the field extensively next season.

Advertisement
Back