God help me I just watched a whole bunch of Albany football

Really appreciate your write up Ghost. But man this feels like rationalization when I have buyer’s remorse. Glad we have more depth at QB, happy for the take. But may we're getting carried away comparing him with the few 6' QBs who were successful. Just waiting for Drew Brees' name to be dropped. Meanwhile, I’ll watch some YouTube at some point and then be prepared to make an informed opinion.

Advertisement
Really appreciate your write up Ghost. But man this feels like rationalization when I have buyer’s remorse. Glad we have more depth at QB, happy for the take. But may we're getting carried away comparing him with the few 6' QBs who were successful. Just waiting for Drew Brees' name to be dropped. Meanwhile, I’ll watch some YouTube at some point and then be prepared to make an informed opinion.

You're not wrong and I'm admittedly a glass-half-full-of-orange-kool-aid guy, but I do think Poffo has more legit QB tools than the "Albany QB 58% Whiffenpoofer bro" crowd are willing to see.

Also he ain't Brees lol.

So does anyone want to walk back the Highsmith bashing because he supposedly compared him to Baker? We now have a legit analyst that agrees. Some of you guys are so short sighted and quick to kick someone in the nuts.

Advertisement
For any of the folks talking about height/batted balls…TVD and Emory had plenty of batted passes themselves and are much taller. I don’t recall D King having as many as either of them…and I even remember King being asked about being a shorter QB and explaining that he just had to find throwing lanes between his OL sometimes instead of over the top.

Seems like to me the biggest thing for our offense to go well thru the air is for Beard to coach up the WRs and eliminate drops.

For any of the folks talking about height/batted balls…TVD and Emory had plenty of batted passes themselves and are much taller. I don’t recall D King having as many as either of them…and I even remember King being asked about being a shorter QB and explaining that he just had to find throwing lanes between his OL sometimes instead of over the top.

Seems like to me the biggest thing for our offense to go well thru the air is for Beard to coach up the WRs and eliminate drops.
That’s because Emory sinks 2 inches when he throws because of poor mechanics. Dude is straight up throwing it like he is pitching off a mound.

College Football Sport GIF by SEC Network
Espn Sport GIF by SEC Network

Advertisement
Okay folks, here we go - watched the Marshall, SDST, and Idaho condensed games and here's what I saw:

- Albany is tiny. They're not a bad FCS team just their lines are little, their RBs are little, they're just a small team. Pause.

- Believe it or don't I can definitely see the Mayfield comparison. Poffo has good mechanics when set, albeit a bit hitchy on horizontal routes. He has a compact release on deep balls, but off-balance is where he shines. Has that full body sidearm motion on the move. Extends plays with his legs but always looking to throw. He's probably a legit 6 foot. Taller and leaner than D King.

- Shockingly accurate deep ball. Like I was really surprised - his corner and fade routes are really well placed. Velocity over the middle is great. Definitely enough arm talent. Scans the field well - really surprised to see him go through reads.

- the 58% completion thing - I'll keep digging but I saw a ton of drops, throwaways on the run, etc. This isn't a "dude short hops passes" situation from what I could see.

- Albany hung with Marshall mainly due to their QB. Yeah it's Marshall but think of it like App St or Duke having to run out the clock vs FAMU and you'll get an idea of the talent gap

- I checked out the SDST game cause Albany got absolutely shellacked and I wanted to see why. Short answer is they were outclassed from the start. Poffo threw an INT on an RPO on the 2nd drive (not a terrible throw it was a quick hit over the middle and the LB made a great play) and they just couldn't get anything going. Ended up 30/44 with 3 picks. RB also gave up a fumble scoop and score. SDST D was all over the place.

All in all this kid is definitely a P4 QB, IMO. Can make every throw, has good wheels, shows toughness, makes good decisions. One "aha" play came in the quarterfinals v. Idaho. Dude stepped up, spun away from 2 guys and flicked it 45 yards to the back of the endzone for a TD.

I still think we need another experienced QB in the portal. That hasn't changed. But I'm less terrified with this take than I was a couple hours ago, so that's something I spose.
Nice assessment. Kid tore it up in high school but was realistically scraping 5’8” until going into his senior season. I don’t care what the quality of depth is. If you’re a mr. football for your state you have something cooking. By all accounts kid has a major chip on his shoulder from getting no love out of HS.

Advertisement
Worst case, he adds depth and competition. Reminds me of when Stetson Bennett won the job at UGA. That offense was struggling, and Bennett came in and it started to work. Many of the UGA fans couldn't get past that he wasn't Stafford 2.0. Some called him the hobbit, but he won. We'll know what he has in the Spring game.

Okay folks, here we go - watched the Marshall, SDST, and Idaho condensed games and here's what I saw:

- Albany is tiny. They're not a bad FCS team just their lines are little, their RBs are little, they're just a small team. Pause.

- Believe it or don't I can definitely see the Mayfield comparison. Poffo has good mechanics when set, albeit a bit hitchy on horizontal routes. He has a compact release on deep balls, but off-balance is where he shines. Has that full body sidearm motion on the move. Extends plays with his legs but always looking to throw. He's probably a legit 6 foot. Taller and leaner than D King.

- Shockingly accurate deep ball. Like I was really surprised - his corner and fade routes are really well placed. Velocity over the middle is great. Definitely enough arm talent. Scans the field well - really surprised to see him go through reads.

- the 58% completion thing - I'll keep digging but I saw a ton of drops, throwaways on the run, etc. This isn't a "dude short hops passes" situation from what I could see.

- Albany hung with Marshall mainly due to their QB. Yeah it's Marshall but think of it like App St or Duke having to run out the clock vs FAMU and you'll get an idea of the talent gap

- I checked out the SDST game cause Albany got absolutely shellacked and I wanted to see why. Short answer is they were outclassed from the start. Poffo threw an INT on an RPO on the 2nd drive (not a terrible throw it was a quick hit over the middle and the LB made a great play) and they just couldn't get anything going. Ended up 30/44 with 3 picks. RB also gave up a fumble scoop and score. SDST D was all over the place.

All in all this kid is definitely a P4 QB, IMO. Can make every throw, has good wheels, shows toughness, makes good decisions. One "aha" play came in the quarterfinals v. Idaho. Dude stepped up, spun away from 2 guys and flicked it 45 yards to the back of the endzone for a TD.

I still think we need another experienced QB in the portal. That hasn't changed. But I'm less terrified with this take than I was a couple hours ago, so that's something I spose.
Thanks for the deep dive.

Thanks, with still so many holes on this roster, I don't see us using another spot for a QB

Advertisement

74039.jpg

Advertisement
Back