God help me I just watched a whole bunch of Albany football

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Okay folks, here we go - watched the Marshall, SDST, and Idaho condensed games and here's what I saw:

- Albany is tiny. They're not a bad FCS team just their lines are little, their RBs are little, they're just a small team. Pause.

- Believe it or don't I can definitely see the Mayfield comparison. Poffo has good mechanics when set, albeit a bit hitchy on horizontal routes. He has a compact release on deep balls, but off-balance is where he shines. Has that full body sidearm motion on the move. Extends plays with his legs but always looking to throw. He's probably a legit 6 foot. Taller and leaner than D King.

- Shockingly accurate deep ball. Like I was really surprised - his corner and fade routes are really well placed. Velocity over the middle is great. Definitely enough arm talent. Scans the field well - really surprised to see him go through reads.

- the 58% completion thing - I'll keep digging but I saw a ton of drops, throwaways on the run, etc. This isn't a "dude short hops passes" situation from what I could see.

- Albany hung with Marshall mainly due to their QB. Yeah it's Marshall but think of it like App St or Duke having to run out the clock vs FAMU and you'll get an idea of the talent gap

- I checked out the SDST game cause Albany got absolutely shellacked and I wanted to see why. Short answer is they were outclassed from the start. Poffo threw an INT on an RPO on the 2nd drive (not a terrible throw it was a quick hit over the middle and the LB made a great play) and they just couldn't get anything going. Ended up 30/44 with 3 picks. RB also gave up a fumble scoop and score. SDST D was all over the place.

All in all this kid is definitely a P4 QB, IMO. Can make every throw, has good wheels, shows toughness, makes good decisions. One "aha" play came in the quarterfinals v. Idaho. Dude stepped up, spun away from 2 guys and flicked it 45 yards to the back of the endzone for a TD.

I still think we need another experienced QB in the portal. That hasn't changed. But I'm less terrified with this take than I was a couple hours ago, so that's something I spose.

Advertisement
Okay folks, here we go - watched the Marshall, SDST, and Idaho condensed games and here's what I saw:

- Albany is tiny. They're not a bad FCS team just their lines are little, their RBs are little, they're just a small team. Pause.

- Believe it or don't I can definitely see the Mayfield comparison. Poffo has good mechanics when set, albeit a bit hitchy on horizontal routes. He has a compact release on deep balls, but off-balance is where he shines. Has that full body sidearm motion on the move. Extends plays with his legs but always looking to throw. He's probably a legit 6 foot. Taller and leaner than D King.

- Shockingly accurate deep ball. Like I was really surprised - his corner and fade routes are really well placed. Velocity over the middle is great. Definitely enough arm talent. Scans the field well - really surprised to see him go through reads.

- the 58% completion thing - I'll keep digging but I saw a ton of drops, throwaways on the run, etc. This isn't a "dude short hops passes" situation from what I could see.

- Albany hung with Marshall mainly due to their QB. Yeah it's Marshall but think of it like App St or Duke having to run out the clock vs FAMU and you'll get an idea of the talent gap

- I checked out the SDST game cause Albany got absolutely shellacked and I wanted to see why. Short answer is they were outclassed from the start. Poffo threw an INT on an RPO on the 2nd drive (not a terrible throw it was a quick hit over the middle and the LB made a great play) and they just couldn't get anything going. Ended up 30/44 with 3 picks. RB also gave up a fumble scoop and score. SDST D was all over the place.

All in all this kid is definitely a P4 QB, IMO. Can make every throw, has good wheels, shows toughness, makes good decisions. One "aha" play came in the quarterfinals v. Idaho. Dude stepped up, spun away from 2 guys and flicked it 45 yards to the back of the endzone for a TD.

I still think we need another experienced QB in the portal. That hasn't changed. But I'm less terrified with this take than I was a couple hours ago, so that's something I spose.
Thanks, Ghost, for taking one for the team

Appreciate you putting the time and effort in on this one. Glad to hear the kid has ability

Saw his adjusted completion % was 68.4%...goes in line with all the drops you mentioned

Advertisement

For my own S.A. what are your thoughts on Emory?

Do you foresee a lot of his balls getting knocked down at the line because of his height?

Advertisement

Supposedly his completion percentage is very skewed due to poor WRs.... Lots of drops...

Andre The Giant No GIF

Advertisement
Every QB who is ~6ft, has a little moxy or confidence, and runs around a little bit is Baker Mayfield.

When Baker was coming out...one of most often cited comps was Jeff Garcia.

Here is Jeff Garcia v. Washington from 1993. Threw under 40%, 2 TDs, 3 INTs lmfao (watch the first one, its not on him at all)

Garcia is a pro anomaly and I'm not comparing...but what the ****, here is a one and a half hour video of Washington v. San Jose State from 1993 so you can watch Jeff Garcia in college. Enjoy.

Advertisement
Every QB who is ~6ft, has a little moxy or confidence, and runs around a little bit is Baker Mayfield.

When Baker was coming out...one of most often cited comps was Jeff Garcia.

Here is Jeff Garcia v. Washington from 1993. Threw under 40%, 2 TDs, 3 INTs lmfao (watch the first one, its not on him at all)

Garcia is a pro anomaly and I'm not comparing...but what the ****, here is a one and a half hour video of Washington v. San Jose State from 1993 so you can watch Jeff Garcia in college. Enjoy.

FWIW I'm basing my personal Baker comparison on his change of release points, play extension, and deep ball velocity. I don't think Poffo is as headstrong or is the same kind of runner Mayfield was.

FWIW I'm basing my personal Baker comparison on his change of release points, play extension, and deep ball velocity. I don't think Poffo is as headstrong or is the same kind of runner Mayfield was.
It really had nothing to do with your post (I know you mentioned him)...I think we all know the origins of the Baker Mayfield comp (obviously Alonzo)...but after a quick look, why not drop a 1h30m video on Jeff Garcia and see if the sickos and freakazoids check it out.

Let this kid sit a year in the system behind Taulia. And 2025 you have a real QB battle between Him and Emory/JB. And they can be the bridge to Judd (if he pans out) or Nickle.

Advertisement
Back