Goal line Offense

CMR mentioned in his post-scrimmage interview today that they have not put in a goal line offense yet and he's not sure that we have the personnel to really have an effective one (I'm paraphrasing but he went on to say we don't have the big fullbacks and tight ends of the past). With that being said, if we are unable to run an effective goal line offense, what kinds of unique packages do you think this team could use instead to effectively score close to the goal line? Could this be a potential wildcat-esque opportunity for a guy like Deejay Dallas?

That goal line offensive thinking is more SEC crap. He can't seem to get that out of his head.

Advertisement
CMR mentioned in his post-scrimmage interview today that they have not put in a goal line offense yet and he's not sure that we have the personnel to really have an effective one (I'm paraphrasing but he went on to say we don't have the big fullbacks and tight ends of the past). With that being said, if we are unable to run an effective goal line offense, what kinds of unique packages do you think this team could use instead to effectively score close to the goal line? Could this be a potential wildcat-esque opportunity for a guy like Deejay Dallas?
. I can always count on many posters to give me a good laugh when I read comments on this board. The posts concerning this topic gave me the opportunity to have some good laughs. It seems we have several "expert" amateur coaches on board. They are offering us information how to have a goal line offense. I think you amateur coaches should contact our paid coaches and share your information with them,

. I can always count on many posters to give me a good laugh when I read comments on this board. The posts concerning this topic gave me the opportunity to have some good laughs. It seems we have several "expert" amateur coaches on board. They are offering us information how to have a goal line offense. I think you amateur coaches should contact our paid coaches and share your information with them,
This is a message board to discuss the Miami Hurricanes football program. Please do not discourage discussion on any football-related topic.

Thomas Brown is Offensive Coordinator
Ron Dugans is Passing Game Coordinator
There are 3 quality controls analysts on offense
Mark Richt calls plays

Other notable head coaches that call plays: David Shaw, Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley, Bobby Petrino, Rich Rodriguez, Mike Leach, Paul Chryst, Derek Mason, Willie Taggert, Dan Mullen. There close 40 HC that call there own plays.

When your HC is one of the best offensive minds in the game, you don't pay someone to do it for you.

Thomas Brown is Offensive Coordinator
Ron Dugans is Passing Game Coordinator
There are 3 quality controls analysts on offense
Mark Richt calls plays

Other notable head coaches that call plays: David Shaw, Jimbo Fisher, Lincoln Riley, Bobby Petrino, Rich Rodriguez, Mike Leach, Paul Chryst, Derek Mason, Willie Taggert, Dan Mullen. There close 40 HC that call there own plays.

When your HC is one of the best offensive minds in the game, you don't pay someone to do it for you.
Not sure this addresses anything of what's being suggested. He still needs top-quality eyes and assistance with implementation. Especially on game day.

Advertisement
As I said in the other thread, you have a ton of NFL teams running the freakin' 'Gun from inside the 5. Missing an extra TE is less than ideal. Not having a FB should not be a big enough deal. You can add an OL or two, or go Gun, or be creative in terms of who you pop into your backfield. Ton of stuff we can do to be effective there.

Yes, but NFL teams with elite quarterbacks can get away with virtually anything. Consequently the Patriots aren't a good example of anything over the past decade or more. Try to emulate them and it's doomed to flop. None of the schemes are particularly remarkable, as Charlie Weiss was doomed to discover. They have quick resourceful guys and Brady is simply a genius at maximization, especially when it matters.

Obviously the NFL rules changes and interpretation of them have aided the offenses immensely and specifically those master quarterbacks. The sad and often comical aspect is when teams with lesser quarterbacks brainstorm to copy the teams with premier quarterbacks. Instead of throwing 25 times like the old days they'll somehow believe that winging it all over the lot is the way to keep pace. I don't mind it as a gambler because it makes for some easy wagers, but the stupidity is often breathtaking to behold. Contrast used to upset the powerhouse teams. Now without much contrast and pantyhose passing all over the place it's simple for teams with superb quarterbacks to dictate and seldom lose. You are doing the same thing I am. My guy is exponentially better than yours. Gee, I wonder what the result will be?

If the Canes want to study and emulate an NFL team in terms of red zone sophistication and variety, it should be the Titans. Yes, the Titans. They quietly have been absolutely superb in the red zone since Mariota arrived. They generally use the shotgun but it's mostly power based with two backs and fantastic variety of play calls, utilizing play action and any number of crossing routes, delayed routes, mixed with power runs. Mariota's stats are incredible in the red zone, especially for such a young quarterback. In such congested space the young quarterbacks are often suckered.

There are online links devoted to the Titans in the red zone including several videos. Here is one of them:

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/16/13650852/marcus-mariota-titans-red-zone-offense

As I said in the other thread, you have a ton of NFL teams running the freakin' 'Gun from inside the 5. Missing an extra TE is less than ideal. Not having a FB should not be a big enough deal. You can add an OL or two, or go Gun, or be creative in terms of who you pop into your backfield. Ton of stuff we can do to be effective there.

Yes, but NFL teams with elite quarterbacks can get away with virtually anything.
Your argument is weakened on the fact spread formations from inside the 5 happen everywhere now - from La. Tech to Div-II. Of course an elite QB helps, but it's not an absolute necessity for success with these alternatives. You see it almost everywhere. As an aside, NCAA teams actually have an advantage over NFL squads as illegal man downfield (on RPO plays inside the redzone) isn't as tightly called.

But, yes, I agree the Titans have a great system and the evidence proves that out. Another to be considered is the Bills' system. They run a ton out of Shotgun in traditional goal line situations.

You can do a lot of power running out of Shotgun, Pistol and diamond formations now.

Non issue IMO.

Defenses match offensive personnel, so bringing in more TE's and/or FB's is going to get more DL/LB's from the defense.
Going spread is going to get more DB's on the field.

At the end of the day boils down to match-ups.

If we line-up with "heavy" personnel then we still have to win our individual battles. It's mano y mano down there. Our O-linemen have to beat their guy, our FB has to beat his guy and our RB will likely have to make a guy miss.

It's no different if you line-up in spread. You're gonna get press-man coverage and our guys have to win their battles. (our WR's have to beat press)

It just all boils down to who you trust more to win battles. I like our WR's versus DB's more than our like our OL versus a stacked box.

Advertisement
We have a lot of genius offensive coaching minds here, and I'm surprised this hasn't come up.

What everyone seems to be forgetting in terms of the goal line offense is that we have something this year that we certainly did not have last year, a relatively quick and athletic quarterback that's a threat to run it in directly, or pass or run it in on the rollout, pass/run option, and various other uses of someone with legs that actually move.

Non issue IMO.

Defenses match offensive personnel, so bringing in more TE's and/or FB's is going to get more DL/LB's from the defense.
Going spread is going to get more DB's on the field.

At the end of the day boils down to match-ups.

If we line-up with "heavy" personnel then we still have to win our individual battles. It's mano y mano down there. Our O-linemen have to beat their guy, our FB has to beat his guy and our RB will likely have to make a guy miss.

It's no different if you line-up in spread. You're gonna get press-man coverage and our guys have to win their battles. (our WR's have to beat press)

It just all boils down to who you trust more to win battles. I like our WR's versus DB's more than our like our OL versus a stacked box.
Be careful. Some cranky old men might criticize you for talking football on a football board.

Advertisement
We have a lot of genius offensive coaching minds here, and I'm surprised this hasn't come up.

What everyone seems to be forgetting in terms of the goal line offense is that we have something this year that we certainly did not have last year, a relatively quick and athletic quarterback that's a threat to run it in directly, or pass or run it in on the rollout, pass/run option, and various other uses of someone with legs that actually move.
That was specifically what I was talking about on page 1.

Everyone in here is smarter than Richt
Not one person has said that they are.

What people (myself included) are pushing back on is the notion that it could be a potential problem in the season.

Essentially, some of us aren't buying it if it will be used as an excuse if we have any Redzone issues.

Tons of weapons and potential mismatches down inside the ten. Should be easy enough to figure out.

Advertisement

I see that in your referrence to Rosier.

Assuming he's the guy, as it looks now, I can't help but think it helps our red zone offense.

How many times have we seen a mobile QB, whether college or pros, roll out in the red zone, with a receiver or RB shadowing him in or near the goal line, where the QB either flips it in for a passing TD, or runs it in if he's given a seam.

That's just one use of a mobile QB in the end zone. My point is that I think our options might actually be better this year.

Just have to wonder if Rick is just poormouthing and playing possum...his old boss Vince Dooley was a master at that.

I see that in your referrence to Rosier.

Assuming he's the guy, as it looks now, I can't help but think it helps our red zone offense.

How many times have we seen a mobile QB, whether college or pros, roll out in the red zone, with a receiver or RB shadowing him in or near the goal line, where the QB either flips it in for a passing TD, or runs it in if he's given a seam.

That's just one use of a mobile QB in the end zone. My point is that I think our options might actually be better this year.

Just have to wonder if Rick is just poormouthing and playing possum...his old boss Vince Dooley was a master at that.
Agreed.

Hopefully, Richt is just being super humble, because the reality is, with a more mobile QB at the helm we should actually have even less issues in the Redzone.

I think he's mainly referring to a lack of personnel for Max protections, but the reality is, the Patriots run Max protects all the time with just 1 TE in the Redzone.

Ideally you would want the traditional 2 TE & FB power set, but that shouldn't prevent us from adjusting and utilizing Rosier's strengths as a runner.

Advertisement
Back