Goal line Offense

I think at the end of the day, if you need to get a yard or three yards, you figure out a way to get it done with what you have. If you don't have the personnel to slam it down their throat, you get creative and finesse it. Either way, those are both on Richt to figure out. To be honest, that was my biggest problem with Richt's play calling last year. I felt like he didn't adjust quick enough when things weren't working or was stubborn to recognize certain players' deficiencies.

Advertisement
Then a package needs to be installed, asap. Wasn't Charles Perry to FB mentioned?

As far as other teams, especially NFL, many spread it because they feel it's their best option to succeed; not because they have to for lack of personnel. It's a little different when the Patriots go 5 wide with Brady than us with Rosier.

This isn't only for goal line situations. For example, we are up 22-20 with the ball, 3rd and 1 at our own 35, with 2:30 to go in the game. First down ends it. If I see us line up shotgun and 5 wide, ill blow a gasket.

You need to be able to get tough yards or you have a serious deficiency as a football team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then a package needs to be installed, asap. Wasn't Charles Perry to FB mentioned?

As far as other teams, especially NFL, many spread it because they feel it's their best option to succeed; not because they have to for lack of personnel. It's a little different when the Patriots go 5 wide with Brady than us with Rosier.

This isn't only for goal line situations. For example, we are up 22-20 with the ball, 3rd and 1 at our own 35, with 2:30 to go in the game. First down ends it. If I see us line up shotgun and 5 wide, ill blow a gasket.

You need to be able to get tough yards or you have a serious deficiency as a football team.

1. The Patriots aren't the only team spreading it from inside the 5.
2. We rolled out Michael Irvin III last year in 2TE sets in the redzone.
3. You shouldn't blow a gasket if we roll out the best formation with the cards we're dealt. And, again, there are dozens upon dozens of teams putting specialty LBs and DL in their backfield.
4. I don't see this as a sufficient excuse to lose meaningful games.

Line gaynor up there as an extra blocker at either fullback or ol/te type on goal line

Last edited:

This. Any coach would rather have a 90% chance of converting 3rd and 2 with a power back than a 60% chance with cleverness.

Advertisement
As I said in the other thread, you have a ton of NFL teams running the freakin' 'Gun from inside the 5. Missing an extra TE is less than ideal. Not having a FB should not be a big enough deal. You can add an OL or two, or go Gun, or be creative in terms of who you pop into your backfield. Ton of stuff we can do to be effective there.
That's precisely what I'm saying Lu.

I understand where Richt is coming from, but with the guys we have there's simply no reason for us to have any issues in the Redzone.

If we do, that's solely on him as a playcaller, because in today's game Coordinators manufacture Offense for these specific types of situations in games.

We may not have the tradition personnel for a 3 TE Goaline set, but we can **** sure get the ball in Endzone with a little creativity.

As I said in the other thread, you have a ton of NFL teams running the freakin' 'Gun from inside the 5. Missing an extra TE is less than ideal. Not having a FB should not be a big enough deal. You can add an OL or two, or go Gun, or be creative in terms of who you pop into your backfield. Ton of stuff we can do to be effective there.

Of course there is a ton of stuff you can do to be "creative" Good teams have a bread and butter. Going heavy with extra TEs and FB give you a lot of versatility to be creative but creativity starts with a base formation/play that is low risk, easy to execute and hard to stop even if you overcompensate with defensive alignment/scheme. Then you add wrinkles. I don't trust any of our QB to consistently put the ball in the end zone through the air. Walton is one of he best RB in the country, adding some extra blockers (who can also keep the defense honest with threat of play action) i and handing off to the best back in the ACC is the preferred route. Richt is essentially saying that we don't really have the bodies to that right now. It's still on him from a roster standpoint but I don't think he is unreasonable to suggest our goal line offense is not where he wants it to be

6th OL, Herndon next to him with twins opposite, gun with Walton to TE side, slot goes in motion. Can go IZ, zone read, PA to 23, sprint out to slot, QB power, fade. Goal line offense done woo.

[video=youtube_share;l6Jv0NXFNqw]https://youtu.be/l6Jv0NXFNqw[/video]
Zach Mettenberger (who Richt recruited to UGA) with his 4.4 blazing speed.

Advertisement

1. The Patriots aren't the only team spreading it from inside the 5.
2. We rolled out Michael Irvin III last year in 2TE sets in the redzone.
3. You shouldn't blow a gasket if we roll out the best formation with the cards we're dealt. And, again, there are dozens upon dozens of teams putting specialty LBs and DL in their backfield.
4. I don't see this as a sufficient excuse to lose meaningful games.

I don't disagree that there are packages we can implement; ****, it was a little before my time, but I remember Refrigerator Perry scoring for the Bears. The roster is what it is, and you put out your best product.

My issue is that we are 2 weeks from the opener, and it sounds like Richt didn't even begin to address this yet. Wtf is he waiting for?

I'm not one of the "we need a dedicated OC" guys, but maybe if our play caller wasn't also the CEO, coaching QBs, fundraising, handling media, etc, this would've already been addressed.

It's a big issue, IMO.

CaneSB said: Of course there is a ton of stuff you can do to be "creative" Good teams have a bread and butter. Going heavy with extra TEs and FB give you a lot of versatility to be creative but creativity starts with a base formation/play that is low risk, easy to execute and hard to stop even if you overcompensate with defensive alignment/scheme. Then you add wrinkles. I don't trust any of our QB to consistently put the ball in the end zone through the air. Walton is one of he best RB in the country, adding some extra blockers (who can also keep the defense honest with threat of play action) i and handing off to the best back in the ACC is the preferred route. Richt is essentially saying that we don't really have the bodies to that right now. It's still on him from a roster standpoint but I don't think he is unreasonable to suggest our goal line offense is not where he wants it to be

I understand what he is saying. So does everyone else. Being creative does not just mean going spread or going to the air from the goal line. Others have already mentioned some of just the half dozen things we can do with personnel groupings.

My issue is that we are 2 weeks from the opener, and it sounds like Richt didn't even begin to address this yet. Wtf is he waiting for?

I'm not one of the "we need a dedicated OC" guys, but maybe if our play caller wasn't also the CEO, coaching QBs, fundraising, handling media, etc, this would've already been addressed.

It's a big issue, IMO.
Now we're on to a separate topic. And, I'm inclined to agree with you in hoping Richt has some technical help from coaches on his staff.

Advertisement

It's a big issue, IMO.
Now we're on to a separate topic. And, I'm inclined to agree with you in hoping Richt has some technical help from coaches on his staff.

Last week's camp report for the scrimmage show us in a three-wide set at the goal line going zone read and Walton scores. Maybe Richt is just talking and it isn't a symptom of a bigger problem. In this one instance they didn't get in with what he tried to do. Last week at least on that one occasion the first team offense did score.

[video=youtube_share;gnJAd7ZetsQ]https://youtu.be/gnJAd7ZetsQ[/video]

You don't need 2TE's & a FB to run 7 man Max protections.

All you need is a TE & a Back out the backfield and you can produce TD's from within the Redzone.

It's all about forcing LB's in the flats & moving Safety's over to isolate matchups with the Y.

It's a big issue, IMO.

This. And Liberty City touched on it too. I know Richt wants to be able to fall back on his old school basic goal line, but you've known for months that you don't have the personnel for the traditional look. You knew that in the spring. What you're going to do in those short yardage situations should have already been addressed and tested out. I don't want to hear about what you don't have or why you couldn't punch it in.

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;gnJAd7ZetsQ]https://youtu.be/gnJAd7ZetsQ[/video]

You don't need 2TE's & a FB to run 7 man Max protections.

All you need is a TE & a Back out the backfield and you can produce TD's from within the Redzone.

It's all about forcing LB's in the flats & moving Safety's over to isolate matchups with the Y.

https://youtu.be/NFpTkYMLzdc

We should have no. 6 cause they passed

It's disconcering that Richt still believes a goal line offense has to consist of a fullback and 2 TE's. Just hire an OC already.

Maybe because he was only talking about a traditional goal line offense? Not attacking you just an assumption. Hopefully this means he realizes we have to get creative to score close now
I just read his full quote and I think you might be right. Still, I wish he would hire a full time OC.

I noted that when Richt got so ****ed that no one knew the hurry-up drill, or where to be - he should have jumped on the Offensive Coordinator's *** - that's primarily whose responsibility that is.

Did he chew the Offensive Coordinator's butt? Threaten to fire him for not having his players know where to line up? Since the HC thought this was key?

It's a big issue, IMO.

Last week's camp report for the scrimmage show us in a three-wide set at the goal line going zone read and Walton scores. Maybe Richt is just talking and it isn't a symptom of a bigger problem. In this one instance they didn't get in with what he tried to do. Last week at least on that one occasion the first team offense did score.

I kind of agree with you about Richt just waxing poetic and maybe just talking out what's going on and what he's figuring out. But after the last staff, I just don't want hear about what "you don't have", anymore. I know that's not Richt's fault, but god **** if I'm not tired of hearing it. Haha. I really just want the season to start. I actually don't like sports talk and all the prediction analysis. I just want to watch the games and get a winner(Miami) and a loser(everyone else).

Some people - maybe even Richt - still believe it's 1985 in terms of what is redzone offense. Regardless of what you run, as long as you can block effectively upfront, you have a fighting chance

Advertisement
Back