Goal line Offense

UCaneDoIt7390

Recruit
CMR mentioned in his post-scrimmage interview today that they have not put in a goal line offense yet and he's not sure that we have the personnel to really have an effective one (I'm paraphrasing but he went on to say we don't have the big fullbacks and tight ends of the past). With that being said, if we are unable to run an effective goal line offense, what kinds of unique packages do you think this team could use instead to effectively score close to the goal line? Could this be a potential wildcat-esque opportunity for a guy like Deejay Dallas?

Advertisement
It's disconcering that Richt still believes a goal line offense has to consist of a fullback and 2 TE's. Just hire an OC already.

To answer your question op.... yes. But I don't think it's a big deal. Coach Richt knows what's most important and what can wait. He'll figure out how to score at the 1.

It's disconcering that Richt still believes a goal line offense has to consist of a fullback and 2 TE's. Just hire an OC already.

Maybe because he was only talking about a traditional goal line offense? Not attacking you just an assumption. Hopefully this means he realizes we have to get creative to score close now

To answer your question op.... yes. But I don't think it's a big deal. Coach Richt knows what's most important and what can wait. He'll figure out how to score at the 1.

True. I do think we have more important priorities but I hope he doesn't wait too long to have a plan as I'm sure we've all seen pretty good offenses struggle in goal line situations which can be frustrating so I wouldn't mind seeing some creativity, especially at the college level.

Advertisement
Don't wanna be overly critical of Richt but that's a cop out & not a legitimate excuse.

For 1, I don't wanna hear it when it comes to TE depth, he knew that would happen & should've expected that before he kicked out Haskins.

I'm not making excuses for Hask, what I'm simply saying is, he either should've taken a JUCO TE with Polendey in the 2017 class, or consider all the angles before giving Hask the boot, but whatever you do don't use it as a crutch.

And 2, I understand that finding a Fullback is a little more difficult than TE, but he should've been prepared for that knowing Marquez was a Grad Transfer. He had all offseason to address it, so don't act surprised 2 weeks before the season.

And lastly, we have Rosier, Walton & Deejay, it's pretty simple what to do.

I know those 3 have nothing to do with formations of the traditional Goaline Offense & that's what Richt is really talking about, but what I'm getting at is, we have 3 legit weapons that can be utilized is specific packages in a way that will allow us to score from within the 5 yard line with ease against most of the Defenses we face.

I said in the Scrimmage #2 thread we should use Rosier the same way USF uses Quinton Flowers & this is what I mean:

1uadwv.gif

Last edited:

Maybe because he was only talking about a traditional goal line offense? Not attacking you just an assumption. Hopefully this means he realizes we have to get creative to score close now
I just read his full quote and I think you might be right. Still, I wish he would hire a full time OC.

we need a dedicated OC. Just thinking about an offensive unit that cant punch it in in the redzone is already ****ing me off.

We should do what Clemson did last year in goal line, brought in DTs as lead blockers. They had an unstoppable short yardage unit with Lawrence and Wilkins in there mauling people.

RJ and Norton could do the same

Advertisement
We should do what Clemson did last year in goal line, brought in DTs as lead blockers. They had an unstoppable short yardage unit with Lawrence and Wilkins in there mauling people.

Gruden used to do that with the Bucs...

download_image

There's a bevy of plays you can run inside the 5-10yrd line for Redzone situations.

With all the weapons we have, NO excuses.

I think some package like this needs to be installed sooner rather than later.

It's all good to say we can spread it out, or run a wildcat. But sometimes you need to be able to punch it down their throat. At some point, it will cost us if we can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I don't understand how this is an issue either... Is it only an NFL rule that you can add extra OL to the line, potentially as a "blocking te", but announce them as eligible receivers? If announc d as an eligible receiver, do they have to leave the line a certain number of yards? Or can they just stay in and pass protect/bull rush?

Last edited:
Advertisement
As I said in the other thread, you have a ton of NFL teams running the freakin' 'Gun from inside the 5. Missing an extra TE is less than ideal. Not having a FB should not be a big enough deal. You can add an OL or two, or go Gun, or be creative in terms of who you pop into your backfield. Ton of stuff we can do to be effective there.

Or you just do what a lot of teams do and go one back shotgun with 4 wide, forcing the defense to flatten out across the field instead of stack the box. It not only allows to be creative with the run pass options, but it also means your OL doesn't have to try to blow the defense off the ball, which has been one of the big weak spots of this team for years. With someone like Walton who can find creases, the lineman either try to wall people off or try to use the DL's aggression against them to push them out of the play. It also forces the defense to think more because you have a bunch of options and they can't just read the fullback and run downhill.

This idea that you're gonna line up and just blow people off the ball is antiquated and isn't in line with the way the game is evolving. Sure, you can do it here and there, and I agree with using DL and LB, but it's getting **** near impossible to do it consistently. As you recruit more for speed and an ability to effectively pass the ball in an uptempo manner, the type of players you have upfront on offense has changed while the DL haven't as much. Against the really good defenses, it's going to be hard for anyone to line up and say 'we're going to run the ball right at you, stop us if you can". I've banged my head at least 5 times every Sunday in the fall for the past 5 years watching Marvin Lewis and the bengals repeatedly get stuffed trying to do this.

As I said in the other thread, you have a ton of NFL teams running the freakin' 'Gun from inside the 5. Missing an extra TE is less than ideal. Not having a FB should not be a big enough deal. You can add an OL or two, or go Gun, or be creative in terms of who you pop into your backfield. Ton of stuff we can do to be effective there.

And we did use the gun inside the 5 last year, people just don't remember. Even in the bowl game Kaaya's 2nd TD pass was out of the gun from the 3 yard line.

Advertisement
Back