Gionni Paul Gone.

Anyone else recall when Paul signed out of HS that some touted him as the possible second coming of Ray Lewis?

I don't remember all that, but I enjoyed watching his highlights since they were mostly him rag-dolling people with belly-to-back suplexes. Sad to see him go, but it's hardly the end of the world.

Advertisement
This also explains all those offers out to LB's. We speculated it could be a move to a 3-4, which it still could be, but its also due to attrition that we did not know about.

Golden's recruiting is starting to get us to the point where we are reloading again (rather than having to take on projects and hope some develop). I have no doubt he will be upgrading our roster all over the place. We will soon be to the point where the major difference between players (outside of a handful of very special players) is experience and not athleticism/measurables.

Even if the kid never got a lick better in his last 2 seasons, he'd still see playing time here. Hope whoever we bring in fills that spot. Can't afford non-contributors with looming sanctions. Good luck to him.

Advertisement
-I don't consider this a big loss. Scale of 1-10, I'd call it a 6. Maybe he would have improved further, but we even heard after last year rumors of him potentially wanting to leave. Either you're all in, or you're not. It's that simple.

- For depth purposes, he was okay. However, if we replace him with a more talented player, then our long-term prospects are better. I viewed him as a limited ceiling player. Truth be told, my first reaction wasn't one of being that upset. Yes. You need depth, but this isn't the pro game where you have a salary cap and will have bona fide starters backed up by less talented players.

In college, you should have legit starters being backed up by future legit starters. It kills me to read this whole serviceable bull****. Great teams have great, younger, backups waiting their turn and starring on special teams while they wait. Look at the Miami teams of the historic past or even from the 2000 run, or look at Bama now. The cream stays and the bull**** transfer or don't get their schollie renewed. It's cold, but I prefer that.

- Finally, I wish the kid well if he wasn't involved with the theft. If he was, then eff him. **** off. Not a true Cane and didn't even graduate from here. We don't need that bull**** here. The mutual decision not to renew his schollie is very telling.

- Tim Reynolds is a douche for his commentary, the whole "I know something and you don't".

I don't think Ray Lewis ever graduated from the "U." I think he got his degree from the U of MD.

Tell me if I'm wrong. There were other players over the years who never got their degrees. The only one I can think of right now, who was a star at UM, was Eddie Brown, who some of you are probably too young to remember. I don't think Fast Eddie ever came back for his degree, but I don't know for sure.

Ray did get his degree from Maryland. I remember Eddie, but have no clue about his degree. I suspect a lot of the guys from earlier teams didn't get a degree, especially if they left early, but UM alumni seem to do a better job than most others at getting a degree before they leve.

-I don't consider this a big loss. Scale of 1-10, I'd call it a 6. Maybe he would have improved further, but we even heard after last year rumors of him potentially wanting to leave. Either you're all in, or you're not. It's that simple.

- For depth purposes, he was okay. However, if we replace him with a more talented player, then our long-term prospects are better. I viewed him as a limited ceiling player. Truth be told, my first reaction wasn't one of being that upset. Yes. You need depth, but this isn't the pro game where you have a salary cap and will have bona fide starters backed up by less talented players.

In college, you should have legit starters being backed up by future legit starters. It kills me to read this whole serviceable bull****. Great teams have great, younger, backups waiting their turn and starring on special teams while they wait. Look at the Miami teams of the historic past or even from the 2000 run, or look at Bama now. The cream stays and the bull**** transfer or don't get their schollie renewed. It's cold, but I prefer that.

- Finally, I wish the kid well if he wasn't involved with the theft. If he was, then eff him. **** off. Not a true Cane and didn't even graduate from here. We don't need that bull**** here. The mutual decision not to renew his schollie is very telling.

- Tim Reynolds is a douche for his commentary, the whole "I know something and you don't".

I don't think Ray Lewis ever graduated from the "U." I think he got his degree from the U of MD.

Tell me if I'm wrong. There were other players over the years who never got their degrees. The only one I can think of right now, who was a star at UM, was Eddie Brown, who some of you are probably too young to remember. I don't think Fast Eddie ever came back for his degree, but I don't know for sure.

The attempted parallel between an all-time great like Ray Lewis, who spilled his guts for UM and played his entire college career here, and Gionni Paul, who either quit after 2 years or got thrown out for doing something either stupid or worse than stupid, isn't a good one. I doubt wushah was attempting to be so literal in his explanation. He was probably looking more to the fact that Paul either quit UM or got thrown out. Neither scenario makes him all heroic or praise worthy to some of us.

Advertisement
Back