Gino

And FYI, the 2018 team didn’t improve at the end of the year.

I don't really care if they improved at the end or not.

They hit 25 points higher than the 2017 team, and with six freshmen playing everyday. That's what is important. Not whether you can get your jollies off making these silly points.

Advertisement
Just awful roster management.

Also, they had limited scholarship money and space in the 2015 class (resulting in a very small class) and they didn't hit on many of those players which resulted in a gap that we paid for the last two years.

And, yes, Kep Brown was a part of that very small class and he was a played that was critical to filling holes.

But that's a punchline for you.

Last edited:
You realize that the program went from 53 wins when he left down to 37, and the team then won 44, 50 and 50 games when he returned.... He might actually be a good coach..... No one knows.
He might. There are the past 2 seasons of results (along with an overall downturn regardless of the 2 CWS years) to say that if he keeps things pretty much status quo, he won't be successful. Yes, Morris was the head man and deserves the blame because this happened on his watch, but Gino was a part of all of that. Excuse me if my skepticism is so high regarding Gino making the changes necessary for us to get back to where we want to be as a program. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think having skepticism about him at this point is unfounded.

The vitrol on this Board regarding the Baseball team befuddles me. They made the World Series in 2015 and 2016........ If people despise the program so much, they should stop following it......
Anyone who is criticizing is doing so because we want the program to be successful, to get back to the postseason and be capable of winning the whole thing. The baseline for this program has been, for 40 years, to make the postseason (at the very least), with more of an eye towards hosting Regionals/Supers and getting to Omaha with a chance to win. It's a high bar, but that's what we all want.

Hypothetically, if I went to my boss and told him to excuse my poor performance the past 2 years because I did something awesome in 2015/2016, I'd be laughed out the door. I understand each year and each team is different, but we have a standard at Miami. For 2 years, we haven't lived up to it. It can (and has) been argued that even in the good years there were issues that indicated something deeper was wrong. Pointing that out isn't being a bad fan. The vitriol comes out of the frustration that we KNOW it can be better because we have had that high level of success in the past.

I can't get on board with your blind defense no matter what. I don't think I've ever seen you give any kind of reasonable critique of this program or anyone in it for fear of not supporting the program or some nonsense...not living up to your screen name.

Loving this program/university and wanting it to do well isn't mutually exclusive with criticizing where it's due.

Advertisement
There are the past 2 seasons of results (along with an overall downturn regardless of the 2 CWS years) to say that if he keeps things pretty much status quo, he won't be successful.

This patently ridiculous.

When Gino has been on staff, with continuity and balanced classes, we've basically recruited in the top 10 and hit .300 as a team.

But if this keeps up, he won't be successful.

Gotcha.

Excuse me if my skepticism is so high regarding Gino making the changes necessary for us to get back to where we want to be as a program. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think having skepticism about him at this point is unfounded.

What changes have to be made?

We had a back-heavy roster in 2016. The next year we had a bad roster because of it. In 2018, we turned over the roster and started 6 freshmen.

It has nothing to do with nebulous "changes" that need to be made. If pressed, you couldn't even tell us what should be changed.

Hypothetically, if I went to my boss and told him to excuse my poor performance the past 2 years because I did something awesome in 2015/2016, I'd be laughed out the door.

That's because you're probably not a Hall-of-Famer at your given career and you could be easily replaced.

And you probably didn't have the best 15-run in your industry.

And then after a downturn, returned to that level in 2015-16.

These analogies made by people like you are really poor.

I can't get on board with your blind defense no matter what.

Those critical are the most blind in their passion.

Most of them, including you even, don't seem to know much about the program or certainly don't follow it closely.

I've been through these silly games before, including in 2012-13 when idiots like tcgrad were exhorting Morris to do something! or change something! and when I told him that he already had (firing his hitting/recruiting coordinator and brining Gino back) he scoffed.

Two years later they were winning the ACC Championship. Three years later they were #1 and playing in the CWS.

Advertisement

When Gino has been on staff, with continuity and balanced classes, we've basically recruited in the top 10 and hit .300 as a team.

Gotcha.
The status quo = where we're at right meow. Not where Gino has "basically" been over whatever time frame you want to vaguely step back and look at like an impressionist painting at the primo distance/angle/lighting.

And right now, we're staring 2 straight seasons of sitting at home for postseason play square in the face. The bar for this program is much higher than that, and if Gino keeps things where they are today, we'll see more of the same. That's all I'm saying.

What changes have to be made?

We had a back-heavy roster in 2016. The next year we had a bad roster because of it. In 2018, we turned over the roster and started 6 freshmen.

It has nothing to do with nebulous "changes" that need to be made. If pressed, you couldn't even tell us what should be changed.
I have several opinions about what needs to be changed:

1) I agree with the improvements that need to be made to the facilities, and called for the tomato money to cover it. It was announced in the presser introducing Gino that we're doing the improvements, and I'll give benefit of the doubt and say that's coming from the DiMare's. So - step in the right direction, credit where credit's due there. I will say again - I don't think that's the sole reason we've seen struggles (particularly at the plate), but improving the facilities certainly can be helpful.

2) We need a different approach to coaching our hitters. Whether that is more metrics driven (with upgraded facilities), or if it is simply coaching guys to take less pitches and being more aggressive with fastballs...that's up to them to figure out. The current approach ain't cutting it. It needs to be looked at critically by Gino and the staff - he has to take the ego of him being the hitting coach out of it, ask how you as a program can be better and improve. I hope that comes with hiring a good hitting coach with different ideas and approaches.

3) Most importantly - I think we need to find players in recruiting that are more hard-nosed and get the job done no matter how it looks. Our players have dictated our style of play, and our style of play has been soft lately. Give me guys that will hustle, work harder in the postseason to change their bodies and get better, and show some fire on the field. I think we have a few of those on the roster now (like Quinones, Zamora, Escala)...but ditch the pretty boys who are just concerned with how good their swing looks to the MLB scouts when they strike out. Give me a roster full of dirtbags that want to put it all out there and get it done. This is a change in overall mentality and recruiting approach. If you find a guy who checks off those boxes in terms of mentality, and he's talented enough to play at UM - I don't care if PG or other services have him rated low...sign his *** up, and coach him up.

I'm anticipating the comeback here...I'm not saying we stop recruiting the highly ranked players - you have to...it's all an arms race when it comes to recruiting. However, the attitude and mentality has to be more of what we've all liked about every Miami team ever assembled in any sport - us against the world, we're going to go take what's ours. Baseball hasn't had that kind of mentality and heart in a few years. This isn't a tangible, metric-driven change - it's a culture change. The baseball program's culture has degraded a bit. It is still salvageable, but Gino & Co. have to consciously make the decision to fix it. This is where I have my most skepticism as to whether or not Gino will recognize this and fix it. I hope he does.

Those are the changes I want to see...and it's not coming from a place of hatred for Gino or anyone in the program at all. I just want to see this team get back to the prestige that it once was. It's slipping, and Gino has to correct it.

I've been through these silly games before, including in 2012-13 when idiots like tcgrad were exhorting Morris to do something! or change something! and when I told him that he already had (firing his hitting/recruiting coordinator and brining Gino back) he scoffed.

Two years later they were winning the ACC Championship. Three years later they were #1 and playing in the CWS.
Keep going Lil Marko...where are we at now? Today? I'm glad we did what we did in those CWS years. Great/fine/wonderful. But where are we at today? The past 2 years? You're still ignoring that like it didn't happen and we're just a few weeks removed from 2 straight years of no postseason.

We're not where we should be. If you disagree with that, then you're okay with sitting on our asses every few years while everyone else is in the postseason. Well, I'm not. We can, and should, be doing better than this. No amount of quote parsing or condescension towards anyone on your part is going to change that bottom line fact.

Keep going Lil Marko...where are we at now? Today? I'm glad we did what we did in those CWS years. Great/fine/wonderful. But where are we at today? The past 2 years? You're still ignoring that like it didn't happen and we're just a few weeks removed from 2 straight years of no postseason.

We're not where we should be. If you disagree with that, then you're okay with sitting on our asses every few years while everyone else is in the postseason. Well, I'm not. We can, and should, be doing better than this. No amount of quote parsing or condescension towards anyone on your part is going to change that bottom line fact.

I love how he is giving credit to Gino for recruiting those 2012/2013 studs. Collins, Abreu, and David Thompson would have all come here no matter who the hitting coach/recruiting coordinator was. The problem is, we havent signed any hitters like these 3 since.

The floor of this program should be hosting a regional. We have access to the best baseball players in the country. The last two seasons are inexcusable and should be a fireable offense, regardless of how many freshman we were playing. Roster mismanagement falls directly on the recruiting coordinator.

There was a decline: 1994 - 2008 11 CWS, 2 Championships
2009 - 2018 3 CWS

There were approximately 20 teams that made the CWS 3x between the 2009 - 2018 seasons.

I agree that missing the playoffs two years in a row was egregious, but I do not think that will occur next year or the years after that. Regardless of what you say, this was an excellent recruiting class and it appears that another is on its way.

The least astute poster on this Board says that we need to recruit all over the country, which is asinine. First off, UM is located in the best, most competitive area for baseball in the country. Why would we start traveling to the Northeast, Louisiana and California for talent? All of these other areas also have a multitude of Division-1 programs that are also trying to reach Omaha, and they have been following these kids for three or more years. Recruiting other areas will not improve our program.

The school needs to find a way to mitigate the scholarship disadvantage without violating the NCAA rules. The school should also incorporate better technology into their teaching. For example, UCLA has devices for their pitching coaches that incorporate algorithms and machine learning to "grade" individual pitches. They also have biometric scanners to improve the pitcher's motion. UCLA also has state-of-the-art batting cages that cost $5 million to build. These cages also included comparable technology that grades the batters' swing. We need to invest in this technology.

Advertisement
2000-2008 = one of the best hitting/recruiting teams in the country

(he leaves and we decline in both categories)

2012 = immediately begins turning around both

2015-16 = one of the best hitting teams in the country

The dishonesty of people like you is no longer shocking to me.

(And you got the years wrong, as usual)

As usual, “LOOK AT 2015-16” as though the last two years didn’t happen.

Also, they had limited scholarship money and space in the 2015 class (resulting in a very small class) and they didn't hit on many of those players which resulted in a gap that we paid for the last two years.

That’s a politician’s way of saying “we f’ed up in the area of roster management”.

Advertisement

Gotcha.

Since we’re recruiting so well right now, when do you see the next decline happening? After all, 2017-18 happened because we were SO loaded in 2015-16, right? So which upcoming class is forced to be small because of limited scholarship money?

Not where Gino has "basically" been over whatever time frame you want to vaguely step back and look at like an impressionist painting at the primo distance/angle/lighting.

It's not vague. I laid it all out.

It seems that you're just one of those "I only care about yesterday" guys with no perspective.

Advertisement
Back