Gino Resigning

Advertisement
Coach Red’s baseball camp was legendary. He made it so fun for the kids. Today’s youth baseball is “Win at all costs” academies that are basically Perfect Game lite.

I worked there for a couple of years in the mid-90's. Parents weren't allowed to say anything except to cheer for their team. Three kids got an award after every game. It truly was all about the kids' experience.

I worked there for a couple of years in the mid-90's. Parents weren't allowed to say anything except to cheer for their team. Three kids got an award after every game. It truly was all about the kids' experience.
Yep. My son went there. Played in the last game ever there and won the championship. I still sit with Coach at Canes games sometimes.

Did he inherit all of dad's money and just decided to walk away?
He was never going to be hurting.

I would love to know the conversations behind the scene, but if he stepped down without any real pressure, I am seriously proud of him, though I doubt it went that way.

This is the right move if we are going to get back to what we are accustomed to year in and year out, despite how much harder it truly is…too many basic fundamental issues.

Yeah, and I was actually in the room a year ago when another alum brought up another team (and its relative lack of success) and Dan was very clear about giving that coach another year, and then reevaluating.

I'm still not thrilled with the 2023 outcome, but I thought that MAYBE the slight improvement in outcome would lead to Gino's return, but I also knew that the porster complaints of "nepotism" and a lifetime contract for Gino was also WRONG.
Does the nepotism go for any sport and any age? In your opinion (assuming you don’t only follow Miami baseball), do you think it’s wrong for the football coach to be “recruiting” his nephew?

Advertisement
Rad fired Jack Leggett. A legend at Clemson. So he isn’t afraid to rattle cages. Hired Monte Lee who was the biggest name on the board. And honestly he didn’t fire him because I think he saw what he was putting back together after 2021. Clemson was solid last year but a touch young. And the new AD wanted to make a splash so he canned him. They brought back almost everything this year and even Cannarella (spelling?) was a Lee recruit. Bakich did a good job with not dropping off but I think Lee would have taken them just as far. Hence why South Carolina hired him immediately as an assistant.

All that said I think Rad is going to make good hires and if he gives an extra year to a coach it’s likely because he sees enough to warrant it. He is a top flight AD we are lucky to have him even if it is for only a few years.

Rad fired Jack Leggett. A legend at Clemson. So he isn’t afraid to rattle cages. Hired Monte Lee who was the biggest name on the board. And honestly he didn’t fire him because I think he saw what he was putting back together after 2021. Clemson was solid last year but a touch young. And the new AD wanted to make a splash so he canned him. They brought back almost everything this year and even Cannarella (spelling?) was a Lee recruit. Bakich did a good job with not dropping off but I think Lee would have taken them just as far. Hence why South Carolina hired him immediately as an assistant.

All that said I think Rad is going to make good hires and if he gives an extra year to a coach it’s likely because he sees enough to warrant it. He is a top flight AD we are lucky to have him even if it is for only a few years.
Very true, and this one needed to happen sooner rather than later

Advertisement
Cora has hinted about moving on from Boston multiple times…

He loves Miami.

Not as far fetched as you might think. The call should be made if it hasn’t already.
There's been multiple major league managers named I've heard tossed around. I could definitely see Cora having first choice if he wants to come back home.

you are talking about the current manager of a professional baseball team, none other than Boston, correct?

he's going to resign from Boston and take an NCAA job? this statement is worse than the guy that said Miami fans would walk to Tropical Park toting their tailgating wares through areas with no sidewalks.
3 of the names I know of that we have reached out to are major league managers or former managers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
At the risk of showing my massive ignorance I'll ask: I haven't seen mention of the pitching and hitting coaches being replaced as well. Is that a sure thing, or depends on who is Gino's replacement?

(Oh just saw Pitcher in Rye says whole staff is gone. Guess thats a wrap.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back