Gerald Willis and Nesta Silvera

If Nesta is starting... we are in trouble. We need to stop relying on freshman in the trenches.

Clemson did and Houston did in 2016. It’s a totally new day and age in football. He probably won’t start but regardless he’s an elite talent and will receive a lot of playing time

This. It's not ideal but this is 2018. Elite freshmen play at any position.

I think Nesta will be mentally ahead of a lot DTs. His confidence is enormous and he sees the game like a LB.

Advertisement
Willis is going to be a target for every team we play, f'ing with him to draw penalties and maybe an ejection.

If Nesta is starting... we are in trouble. We need to stop relying on freshman in the trenches.

Clemson did and Houston did in 2016. It’s a totally new day and age in football. He probably won’t start but regardless he’s an elite talent and will receive a lot of playing time

I think Nesta will be mentally ahead of a lot DTs. His confidence is enormous and he sees the game like a LB.

He’s a beast and has that dog mentality which is needed as a dlineman

I actually think we can have a year at DL close to what our secondary was last year, surprise everyone. We really need to bring in Dennis Briggs though for the future and a emergency with injuries

Advertisement
You can't have your two dt's play every snap. We desperately need our two and three's to make a big jump in the off season or we will be pushed around up the middle.

Grade A 2 Deep

WDE - Joe Jackson - Jon Garvin

DT - Gerald Willis - Pat Bethel

DT - Jon Ford - Nesta Silvera

SDE - Demetrius Jackson - Scott Patchan

The Issue is we can't afford any injuries cause our depth behind the 2 deep, makes me nervous

3rd String -

DE - Greg Rousseau: would love to RS

DT - Tyreic Martin: Not sure yet if he's a Miami Caliber guy

DT - Dennis Briggs: Freshman would love to RS

DE - Andrew Chatfield: Freshman

That SDE situation is no bueno. You got two kids with knee issues.

Grade A 2 Deep

The Issue is we can't afford any injuries cause our depth behind the 2 deep, makes me nervous

3rd String -

Martin's best fit is at SDE imo

Advertisement
You can't have your two dt's play every snap. We desperately need our two and three's to make a big jump in the off season or we will be pushed around up the middle.

2s and 3s? We have 4 DTs on the roster. 4.

Don't sleep on Jon Ford. Elite size at DT. Long, heavy and strong without being fat.

On top of that, he's flexible and sudden. He's not there yet as a football player (BBall guy), but Kool thinks he can be a first rounder under his coaching.

Theoretically, Ford should make a huge leap going into his sophomore year if he works hard in the weight room. Technique he should get in spring and fall working with one of the best. McIntosh and Norton did.

I don't want to put too much on Silvera, but that kid has a Division 1 ready body, quick burst and a nastiness we have not seen around Coral Gables since Big Vince. I'm not expecting a Christian Wilkins freshman season, but the kid is finding the field a lot. Wilkins had 1 start in 2015 and had 84 tackles. LoL, that's more than McIntosh and Norton combined this year.

Wilkins was a phenom. I think Silvera has that sort of ability to make impact plays. I'm hoping we can use him more strategically than having to rely on him for 50 plays per game.

I'm not expecting him to explode on the scene with 84 tackles, but he's the sort of disruptive playmaking DT we haven't seen here in ages. Vince was asked to eat up blockers more than to compile stats. I don't see Silvera in that mold. He is more Sapp to me the way he gets across the line and makes football plays.

Any updates on Martin? Thanks in advance.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Don't sleep on Jon Ford. Elite size at DT. Long, heavy and strong without being fat.

On top of that, he's flexible and sudden. He's not there yet as a football player (BBall guy), but Kool thinks he can be a first rounder under his coaching.

Theoretically, Ford should make a huge leap going into his sophomore year if he works hard in the weight room. Technique he should get in spring and fall working with one of the best. McIntosh and Norton did.

I don't want to put too much on Silvera, but that kid has a Division 1 ready body, quick burst and a nastiness we have not seen around Coral Gables since Big Vince. I'm not expecting a Christian Wilkins freshman season, but the kid is finding the field a lot. Wilkins had 1 start in 2015 and had 84 tackles. LoL, that's more than McIntosh and Norton combined this year.

Wilkins was a phenom. I think Silvera has that sort of ability to make impact plays. I'm hoping we can use him more strategically than having to rely on him for 50 plays per game.

I'm not expecting him to explode on the scene with 84 tackles, but he's the sort of disruptive playmaking DT we haven't seen here in ages. Vince was asked to eat up blockers more than to compile stats. I don't see Silvera in that mold. He is more Sapp to me the way he gets across the line and makes football plays.

Late in the season is where playing too many snaps will hurt Nesta (assuming he makes it that far). Freshman simply aren't there yet physically to take that pounding all year. If we are relying on him to lock down one of the DT positions, we are in trouble.

If we can avoid injuries, the Willis/Ford/Bethel combo with Nesta as a rotational guy should be serviceable. I'd imagine there will be several games where we get pushed around up front, though.

I believe it'll play out just like this, with DJax sliding inside at DT, and both Jackson and Garvin @ end in clear passing downs.

Nesta is pretty good, but needs experience, just as much as I think Ford will need a breather... So I can see Ford and Nesta rotating plenty.

I don't think Chatfield is a package deal guy at best, who'll need to catch on as a LB to make the cut. He's no Trent Harris, and I really don't see him as a take without landing Campbell or Surtain.

Grade A 2 Deep

WDE - Joe Jackson - Jonathan Garvin

3rd String -

Advertisement

Those are outliers and guys that were physically ready going in. Nesta's a 5 star talent, but S&C is going to be what his main focus should be coming in - he needs to get stronger. Also, the guys you mentioned were clear 5 star talents. Again, Nesta's talent is up there, that's not the debate. But the premise is that you absolutely do not want freshmen in your 2-deep at DT. You want grown *** men down in the trenches.

Grade A 2 Deep

3rd String -

I'm not worried about DJax at all. I think he'll be fine (granted I'm not a doctor). His knee injury seemed minor. However, Patchan, although talented has legit knee concerns - but at least he hasn't had knee issues recently. Rousseau's someone who ideally would shirt, but he's not going to. He'll be in the rotation with Johnson transferring to Oregon.

size, flexibility and other stuff doesn't matter much if he's not explosive. What limited action i did see, it's not there yet. Ford and Patchan need to have big springs in order for this group to succeed in the fall

Not true. There is value to having big, long DL that hold the point of attack. Red Bryant is an example. Miami needs DTs that can play the run. The pass rush can come from Jackson x2, Garvin and maybe Willis.

Re: Nesta it's extremely rare for true freshman DTs to be starters right away let alone impact starters. Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh redshirted as freshmen and Suh was a backup as a rFr. Aaron Donald was a backup. Ed Oliver is the exception to the rule.

size, flexibility and other stuff doesn't matter much if he's not explosive. What limited action i did see, it's not there yet. Ford and Patchan need to have big springs in order for this group to succeed in the fall

Not true. There is value to having big, long DL that hold the point of attack. Red Bryant is an example. Miami needs DTs that can play the run. The pass rush can come from Jackson x2, Garvin and maybe Willis.

Re: Nesta it's extremely rare for true freshman DTs to be starters right away let alone impact starters. Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh redshirted as freshmen and Suh was a backup as a rFr. Aaron Donald was a backup. Ed Oliver is the exception to the rule.

This! He is not a starter out the box.

Advertisement
Back