Georgia State DL transfer Thomas Gore COMMITS

I don't think you can question his productivity. What I do question is the fact that Mario has prototype sizes for his DL/DT/LBs and recruits accordingly (witness our current class). Gore most definitely doesn't fit that prototype.

So far, I'm seeing arguments that fall into two categories in this thread:

1. On the positive side, this could indicate flexibility to vary from the prototype due to a special skill set/motor and excellent scouting.
  2. On the negative side, could be a whiff of desperation in DT recruiting.

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 1, as I don't see Mario hitting the easy button when it comes to recruiting.
Sometimes when you're evaluating a player....... for whatever reason, what you look for NORMALLY (size, speed, etc.) falls by the wayside, because what you are actually witnessing on the film or field.... movement, quickness, strength, explosion, disruption, and violence..... you can't believe it. Your brain can't fully comprehend what your eyes are seeing. But you know you like it! Like the kid is doing stuff, that he shouldn't physically be able to do. Dudes that are 40-50lbs heavier, CAN'T do it like this kid. As a coach you're watching it, and you can't really explain how he's doing it, you just know that you're watching him , do it. Maybe that's the story here. IDK

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think you should always first look at measurables and motor… but it would be a disservice if you let guys like this who are just spark plug playmakers slip through the cracks

We are still at the college level and we don’t need to pretend we are an NFL minor league team that solely must only take measurables and projections

Sometimes when you're evaluating a player....... for whatever reason, what you look for NORMALLY (size, speed, etc.) falls by the wayside, because what you are actually witnessing on the film or field.... movement, quickness, strength, explosion, disruption, and violence..... your eyes can't fully comprehend what their seeing. But you know you like it! Like the kid is doing stuff, that he shouldn't physically be able to do. Dudes that are 40-50lbs heavier, CAN'T do it like this kid. As a coach you're watching it, and you can't really explain what's happening, you just know that it's happening. Maybe that's the story here. IDK
Exactly. I see this a real positive for Mario. Lot of talk about him evaluating guys based on measurables. That was Golden's MO, and while I thought he found us some nice diamonds in the rough, he passed on way too many local guys that were just obvious studs based on some stubbornness about the measurables.

I know Mario is a much better recruiter, but hard not to get flashbacks when you're talking a hard headed, stubborn guy chasing measurables.

I love it when some don’t like a prospect due to size, and people bring up the rare exceptions of stud players who are that size like that’s the norm and not the exception. Always a productive and logical conversation when that takes place.

From this point forward, every time anyone states that they don’t like a player, I will just bring up an NFL player that had the same height and weight and say, “I bet you wouldn’t have liked him either!”
This guy at his size is the rare exception in production so far..

Advertisement
Jackson and Miller leaving (not sure how expected either was) took away a front line starter and a key depth piece. Not every possible addition can be an All-American but being able to rotate a pass rushing DT in certain situations can be an important piece of the puzzle.
We lost a lot to the portal and will need to dip pretty deep in to fill out the depth. Thats expensive. Part of managing it is finding value with lower priced options who will play more limited roles. Its just like managing the salary cap in the NFL, you cant sign all franchise players. Some of the most important decisions are at the back end of the roster

I think the staff is willing to bend on the measureables this year and next and bring in depth guys that might not fit the mold, but bring something else to the table - aggressiveness, work ethic and buy in. These kids can help change the temp of the room even if they are not starters.

Advertisement
  1. On the positive side, this could indicate flexibility to vary from the prototype due to a special skill set/motor and excellent scouting.
  2. On the negative side, could be a whiff of desperation in DT recruiting.

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 1, as I don't see Mario hitting the easy button when it comes to recruiting.
On this week's Bank, @DMoney asked Miami why they were recruiting Gore since he doesn't fit the mold of the DLineman Mario is after. The answer was the skill set was so unique and the production could not be ignored. They don't want to make the Klancey mistake again.

I love it when some don’t like a prospect due to size, and people bring up the rare exceptions of stud players who are that size like that’s the norm and not the exception. Always a productive and logical conversation when that takes place.

From this point forward, every time anyone states that they don’t like a player, I will just bring up an NFL player that had the same height and weight and say, “I bet you wouldn’t have liked him either!”
Even smarter are fans who automatically dismiss a player they have likely never watched play due to their size

#19 player available in the portal per PFF.

3F8B3538-155A-49BE-8C8B-E1FA85F33F8D.jpeg

Advertisement
Even though he isn't the "prototypical size" for a defensive tackle, he put up big numbers. This is something our d-line didn't necessarily do this season. Gore will without a doubt contribute

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back