Georgia State DL transfer Thomas Gore COMMITS

Advertisement
Advertisement
Beggars can't be choosers !

We don't have quality depth and are still aren't in position to wait to build a roster the traditional way. I'd take anyone to can make an impact. He's a situational DT, which is a room that is very thin right now. I'd take any player that allows our freshman actually develop.

You need to generate pressure from the interior. This is part of a successful makeup. Can never have too many advanced age pass rushers.

My head canon says you are replacing Allen Haye with 76 pressures, 22 TFL, and 8 sacks in their career. This seems like a big upgrade to me, one that is more than usable and wants to be here. I would wager a guy like this would be on someone's sleeper G5 list for draftable players. Someone would want to see what they could do with this guy situationally getting after the QB. Let's hope his jump (if he comes here) is similar to KJ Osborn from fringe guy to rock solid mid-rounder. Would be a net positive for Miami if things break right. If things break left...he still seems like a usable rotation guy.

Cannot discount his production at the Sun Belt Conference level. Certainly undersized but there are the occasional examples of guys excelling at DT in his size range. @rascon mentioned Aaron Donald. I also remember the whole Deadrin Senat saga when al golden refused to offer him despite lighting up the camp circuit out of Imokalee high. He went to USF and ended up being a 3rd round draft pick and played a few years in the league.

Advertisement
DT? Small 6ft 280lbs not sure about this one
That’s the exact same size Aaron Donald dominating the league with. As a DT him being shorter will give him a huge advantage on leverage. As long keep them pads low and have strong hands he will be fine.

Definitely a head scratcher…

I know we want to be more active with Portal entries (sooner rather than later) and avoid last year’s mistake, but his size leaves much to be desired. Surely, there must be better options available. Right?

Advertisement
That’s the exact same size Aaron Donald dominating the league with. As a DT him being shorter will give him a huge advantage on leverage. As long keep them pads low and have strong hands he will be fine.
Somebody used that example to describe Alan Haye when he committed.

Advertisement
This kid was very productive and very good at Georgia State.

Also, the highest graded kid in all of FBS for interior linemen last year, per PFF. In all of FBS. Edged out Devonte Wyatt from UGA, who went in the first round in April.

I'm not saying this kid is a first-round NFL talent, he's clearly undersized, but he was very active and very productive.

Cannot discount his production at the Sun Belt Conference level. Certainly undersized but there are the occasional examples of guys excelling at DT in his size range. @rascon mentioned Aaron Donald. I also remember the whole Deadrin Senat saga when al golden refused to offer him despite lighting up the camp circuit out of Imokalee high. He went to USF and ended up being a 3rd round draft pick and played a few years in the league.
To your point Elvis Dumervil was 5'11 250 and had no problem making an impact in college or the league

I don't think you can question his productivity. What I do question is the fact that Mario has prototype sizes for his DL/DT/LBs and recruits accordingly (witness our current class). Gore most definitely doesn't fit that prototype.

So far, I'm seeing arguments that fall into two categories in this thread:

1. On the positive side, this could indicate flexibility to vary from the prototype due to a special skill set/motor and excellent scouting.
  2. On the negative side, could be a whiff of desperation in DT recruiting.

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 1, as I don't see Mario hitting the easy button when it comes to recruiting.

Advertisement
Back