Gentleman, we have a real football program. (Clinic recap)

Advertisement
To clarify the "modern wing-t" comment...

Gattis offense shows wing-t concepts, but that's not the basis of the offense itself.

For example...

*He'll line-up in a tight trips bunch set left.
*He'll pull one Guard to the right...
*He'll also send the RB blocking to the right...
(essentially adding a second puller)
*And then hand the ball off to one of the WR's from the bunch on a reverse.

This is essentially just Buck Sweep, which is an old Wing-T staple.

Or...

*He'll line-up in 11 personnel with an H-back...
*He'll pull the H-back across the formation to block...with a Guard...
*Then hand the ball to the RB to follow.

It's good stuff and adds variety to the running game. He can run the same exact play but in a variety of ways.

LT mentioned his ribs hurting after practice due to new OL techniques. What are they doing differently?
There's a ton of reps on here but 10:50 is a good view of what LT is likely referencing. He (Clark) is running Inside zone to his left. The emphasis is on staying square and working thru your playside gap. If the Down lineman is hanging in and trying to play both gaps, he smashes the hip of the defender which knocks him into the B gap. This gives the RB a clear picture on where to run. I have heard Mirabal mention the entry point for the back on inside zone as being the back leg of the center or backside A gap. The point of it is to make sure they are downhill and not bouncing the play.

Now this doesn't mean Justice was not teaching combo blocks but Mirabal has a certain way of doing it and may be repping it more. Either way, I'm excited to see what we do up front next year.

Advertisement
Georgia won the NC because they had one of the greatest defenses in cfb history. And if it wasn’t for bama’s two top WRs getting hurt and there freshman WRs dropping passes the probably lose the game. Bryce kept them in the game,just ask there top WR why he left Georgia to bama after winning the natty…

Also the pass opens the run game in this era, it dictates how much players they put in the box vs you, how much they rush or drop in coverage. U cant hide mediocre a pass game, at some point it will be the deciding factor. TVD himself put us on a winning streak with a mediocre run game. Michigan couldn’t run on Georgia and got smacked

And i hope our offense looks similar to bama 2018 but…what should i look at more as a gattis offense,one year as a co-oc at bama or 3 years as an oc at Michigan?

Harbaugh seemed to “luck” his way into a great quarterback at Stanford. I am looking at Michigan quarterbacks going back 10 years. There is a whole bunch of mediocrity and sub 60% passers.

Harbaugh ain’t exactly Clemson or Oklahoma when it comes to signing quarterbacks.

Gattis had incumbent starter Shea Patterson when he arrived in 2019. Patterson threw for 400 more yards under Gattis but his completion percentage dropped like 8 points. Tds and ints were roughly the same.

With McNamara, Gattis improved him from 2020 to 2021 even though the sample size was small due to covid season.

With or without Gattis, Michigan has not had much talent at quarterback and Harbaugh is a run first coach who recruited that position with average results.

We don’t know what to expect from Gattis here in Miami. He never had anyone like TVD at Michigan. He doesn’t have the talent on oline here that he had there.

One thing I do know about Gattis, he mixes up his playcalling and now has a quarterback that can hit deep shot opportunities that that play calling brings up.

I don’t think he will handcuff TVD or do the iz, iz, pass, punt nonsense we have seen.

He will be spectacular verses most of our opponents. I want to see how he handles the elite defenses if we make a run.

Yeah, but to Bash Mario on a continued Basis, for 2 losses at a previous school is retarded....
1648496732240.jpeg

Advertisement
I think just certain terms are trigger words to the uninitiated bro 😂. “A modern day wing T” was gone set this place on fire like Taco Bell after midnight 10 times outta 10. Modern day wing was music to my ears though. You need that diversity out of the run game. And for every formation and every play called there is a run/pass check or three out out of that same set. Diversity.
I played in a Wing-T from Junior High football to 12th grade. I've seen and played against a nauseating amount of Wing-T. It has its benefits. Certainly, at the lower levels. Its concepts, sometimes, even the playing field between mismatched (size) teams. I understand we may run some of those pulls, traps, and misdirections, but I stand by what I wrote: let's wait and see what we really do when the bullets fly. Gattis isn't blind. I think TVD can open up our run game more than any diversity in blocking scheme can. At least until Mirabal fully gets what we need across the line.

N
Georgia won the NC because they had one of the greatest defenses in cfb history. And if it wasn’t for bama’s two top WRs getting hurt and there freshman WRs dropping passes the probably lose the game. Bryce kept them in the game,just ask there top WR why he left Georgia to bama after winning the natty…

Also the pass opens the run game in this era, it dictates how much players they put in the box vs you, how much they rush or drop in coverage. U cant hide mediocre a pass game, at some point it will be the deciding factor. TVD himself put us on a winning streak with a mediocre run game. Michigan couldn’t run on Georgia and got smacked

And i hope our offense looks similar to bama 2018 but…what should i look at more as a gattis offense,one year as a co-oc at bama or 3 years as an oc at Michigan?

Aka massive human beings

If it leads to another O-line clinic story like your last one, I’ll chip in to get you down here. Had my wife read that and she was LOL too.

funniest post I’ve seen on here to date.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:. Thanks, Bruh. It could, you never know. Just know if Garner is a guest speaker, my *** sitting in the back. We used to go to the big GHSA clinics every year before we would start "real" football. They were good ways to blow off steam, drink like fish and chase puss....! So I have quite a few of em.

Advertisement
There's a ton of reps on here but 10:50 is a good view of what LT is likely referencing. He (Clark) is running Inside zone to his left. The emphasis is on staying square and working thru your playside gap. If the Down lineman is hanging in and trying to play both gaps, he smashes the hip of the defender which knocks him into the B gap. This gives the RB a clear picture on where to run. I have heard Mirabal mention the entry point for the back on inside zone as being the back leg of the center or backside A gap. The point of it is to make sure they are downhill and not bouncing the play.

Now this doesn't mean Justice was not teaching combo blocks but Mirabal has a certain way of doing it and may be repping it more. Either way, I'm excited to see what we do up front next year.

I know I can honestly say I have an addiction when I enjoy a video on offensive line practice drills in the off-season. I may need to seek help.

As an aside...I love watching Mirabal in those clips. He looks like a child amongst the big dudes but he has a presence. It isn't often that a dude can command respect when giving up 12" of height and 150# in weight. But that dude is fully in control and brings the energy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back