Gentleman, we have a real football program. (Clinic recap)

I’ve always felt like when we played better teams recently(bama Clemson etc) we get overwhelmed physically. Is this personnel? Is it lack of contact in practice? Idk. But we’re clearly taking care of the latter.

Absolutely both.

We need better players, but if Mario had prepared the same group of players, we would have looked like we belonged physically.

Bama practices like the junction boys even though they have the best talent money can buy. We barely practiced live tackling, and by accounts from multiple sources, practices were easy.

Football is about emotion and mindset as much as it is physical talent. Even if we had the same talent as Bama man for man, they would have still pushed us around because we were developed to play soft and not ready for a driven, hard-nosed team.

The sad thing is there were many instances where we stood up in that game and you could tell we could play them much closer if we were better prepared. For instance, Bama couldn’t run on us when our front seven was balanced with there alignment. Only when we left a gaping hole running one of Manny’s goofy plays trying to overload one side did they run for significant yards.

It’s crazy. If there wasn’t a big hole in the defense that telegraphed to Bama where to run, our guys stood up and stuffed them.

Advertisement
Are you referring to the correct one ? The one with Pat Sheehy? Nothing Latin about the one im referring to.

The Pig Floyd's in Orlando has been around for over 10 years (started as a food truck, moved to brick-and-mortar) and was created by a guy who grew up in SoFla. Not sure if there is a connection to the one in SoFla that opened a couple of years ago, but the SoFla PF definitely stole the name from the Orlando PF.

What's your infatuation with Butch Davis when unlike so many Miami head coaches before him won nothing? I mean, Jimmy Johnson, he's not.
Because he would have been Saban before Saban if he stayed at Miami. Butch had to overcome unprecedented sanctions which hit full impact in 1997. By 2000, we were the best team in the country at the end of the year. The staff actually downgraded in 2001 and we still won a national title. Recruiting was getting better each year and dropped off with Coker and crew rather significantly.

You are debating with a former player who played for Butch. Opinions are like as ********. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut.

Because he would have been Saban before Saban if he stayed at Miami. Butch had to overcome unprecedented sanctions which hit full impact in 1997. By 2000, we were the best team in the country at the end of the year. The staff actually downgraded in 2001 and we still won a national title. Recruiting was getting better each year and dropped off with Coker and crew rather significantly.

You are debating with a former player who played for Butch. Opinions are like as ********. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut.
Put Reggie Wayne and Santana on the 01 team (left the yr before) it would've been even more Historical...

Advertisement
I just dont think he wouldn’t show versatility in the pass game when they were more pass heavy in his early years at michigan, weapons and talent dont stop u from callin your best plays whether they end up working or not. His run versatility showed last year. But we’ll see.
Up until you said weapons and talent don't stop you from calling certain plays I had no issue debating with you cause it was a conversation that had common sense to it. But if you think you calls plays (because they may be on paper)cause they're your best plays regardless of talent or THE ABILITY to execute said plays, well that's just BAT**** CRAZY... You think you can use the same applications of plays at Rutgers say that you can use at Clemson or bama or Ohio state etc... It's one thing when apples compares to oranges... It's another when you go from raisins to oranges. If you don't have the talent on the field to execute what your mind visualizes than your setting your team up for failure. Be it a wasted down or worse yet a turnover. That's a real quick and simple way to lose and ultimately get yourself fired as your job is based on results not fan expectations...

Advertisement
Pete was an administrator. Somebody had to keep the train running on schedule.

To be fair, Butch and Pete developed the "5x7 card" multi-year tracking system for recruits. Pete did more than just scheduling (though Butch had the eagle eye), but @SWFLHurricane is also correct about who the best recruiters were.

To put it another way, TO THE RECRUITS, they were heavily influenced by the face-to-face recruiting of the assistant coaches, and they may have been completely unaware of how Butch/Pete were tracking their progress over the years.

Having said that, Pete turned out to be a fairly poor AD, but Butch/Pete were a fantastic talent identification/tracking team. Butch spotted guys, and Pete tracked guys, and it worked out very well.

To be fair, Butch and Pete developed the "5x7 card" multi-year tracking system for recruits. Pete did more than just scheduling (though Butch had the eagle eye), but @SWFLHurricane is also correct about who the best recruiters were.

To put it another way, TO THE RECRUITS, they were heavily influenced by the face-to-face recruiting of the assistant coaches, and they may have been completely unaware of how Butch/Pete were tracking their progress over the years.

Having said that, Pete turned out to be a fairly poor AD, but Butch/Pete were a fantastic talent identification/tracking team. Butch spotted guys, and Pete tracked guys, and it worked out very well.
Yes, and "keeping the train's running on time" is more military jargon. Yes, I understand Pete was more than just a scheduler. Again, the Director of Football Operations had a broader role and Pete was very good at his job. There was a reason Butch took Pete to Cleveland.

Couldn't tell you if Pete was effective when he came back as Assistant AD. Not sure anybody could be effective at FIU, but Pete has to take the hit on how poorly that Athletic Department has been across the board. They should be better within their conference across all sports.

What a great feeling reading this writeup and the one by Macho. When Mario was hired I was all in. I never worried about the coach hires or the recruiting. I just worried about how quickly he could turn things around. Looks like 3-5 years is now 1-3 years given how committed Mario and the 3 billionaires are to competing and building a dominant organization.

All that said, I can’t say I love reading about our defense as is. It seems every position needs more talent except safety. The portal thread is now the first one I read every time I jump back on.
Facts but everything depends on recruiting the lifeblood of elite cfb. He's a great recruiter an elite recruiter. Want to see how he does vs bama and UGA the creme of the crop. Those battles will tell us everything

Advertisement

Pete did well under Erickson before Butch....he helped snag Ray Lewis...

Pete did well under Erickson before Butch....he helped snag Ray Lewis...

Yep. Not sure if it was 100% true or not, but I had heard that Pete monitored Ray's academic progress. I always was a bit surprised with Pete's early career, he was in admin under Dennis, then coached for a year under Butch, then went back to admin for Butch.

I'm not trying to pump Pete up to massive proportions, he was just always an interesting guy to me. And I never diminish the importance of the front-line recruiters like Chuck and CJ and Sarge, I was trying to point out that there are some admin roles that can have a big impact on the overall process too.

Believe me, I have my issues with how Pete conducted himself later in his career, but I think that the UM years with Dennis and Butch were quite good.

Advertisement
Up until you said weapons and talent don't stop you from calling certain plays I had no issue debating with you cause it was a conversation that had common sense to it. But if you think you calls plays (because they may be on paper)cause they're your best plays regardless of talent or THE ABILITY to execute said plays, well that's just BAT**** CRAZY... You think you can use the same applications of plays at Rutgers say that you can use at Clemson or bama or Ohio state etc... It's one thing when apples compares to oranges... It's another when you go from raisins to oranges. If you don't have the talent on the field to execute what your mind visualizes than your setting your team up for failure. Be it a wasted down or worse yet a turnover. That's a real quick and simple way to lose and ultimately get yourself fired as your job is based on results not fan expectations...
So u think, for 3 years he didn’t have good route concepts because of talent and now with better talent he’s gonna whip out a new playbook and get innovative in the pass game? Lol aight

I'm only up to page 6 and yall killing me already. 1st off I don't know why yall worries about what the offense is going to look like vs Bamas of the world cuz aint a soul said we was going to the playoffs anyway.... Most of yall got us losing to Clenson and perennial 8-4 A&M anyway so what you crying for?

2nd, why would Mirabal and Cristobal agree to coach up blocking schemes for a coach and system they didn't think they have the talent to have success with? Make that make sense.

3rd, yall do remember we have Ponce on staff right? What Gattis lacks Ponce will add. Matching puzzle pieces, if you will.

Finally, you either gonna have a run oriented team with 4 to 5 good pass plays or a pass oriented team with 4 to 5 good run plays. Some coaches(Lashlee) don't even have that.

The pass can open the run or the run can open the pass. Either way works. The key is what you do when your bread and butter isn't working.

Typically when a team excels in 1 area they don't get the talent to transition to another area. So if they're a team that runs well.. they may not get the QB needed for those 4 to 5 special pass plays to work if the run gets shut down.

Difference between Miami vs Michigan and Oregon is that we DO have the QB recruits to execute those special pass plays if the run gets shut down.

Context people

So many questions, @3rd-43 😂😂

1648658739235.png

Advertisement
Back