Gattis Sucks Bro Super Megathread

No thanks on any member of the Briles family(F that nonsense, we have self respect as a program and as human beings). Anae and Candle would be good choices, kick the tires on Graham Harrell, just find someone, anyone that has better grasp of how to put a gameplan together. I know there are things outside of Gattis' control, but you can't bring this guy back, it just isn't working and Mario can't afford to waste another season.
Football ain't for the weak.

Advertisement
if were gonna not consider guys bc of their past then 60 percent of the coaches have been complicit in something at a program. you dont think **** gets covered up here too?
As long as it isn't on camera it didn't happen.

Anae would be great. Candle would have to bring some of his staff or it wouldn’t happen.
Candle was far away my favorite candidate among those rumored earlier this year. He's a HC who would come in as OC.

If I'm Mario, I let him bring anybody he wants on the offensive side of the staff (sans an OL coach 'cuz that is a nonnegotiable with Mario). Everybody else is expendable. If Mario wants to keep Fields, give him a staff position. If Mario needs to create another spot on the offensive side, fire somebody on the defensive side. Don't care.

Familiarity with a scheme and continuity among staff members is critical when trying to establish an identity on offense. This fanbase doesn't have the patience to wait for Mario and company to develop an identity. Let Candle bring his guys to fill out the staff.

Advertisement
Agree with OP that Gattis is awful. That said, is there any indication that 1) Mario is looking to move on from him, and 2) Is willing to hire a true spread guy who can run his own offense with Mario micro managing?

if were gonna not consider guys bc of their past then 60 percent of the coaches have been complicit in something at a program. you dont think **** gets covered up here too?
There's a difference between a kid getting a hundred dollar handshake from a booster, or getting some extra help from a tutor, and a coach taking guys that he was told were bad news, the player goes out and rapes women on campus, and then instead of you owning up to your mistake and booting the guys and cooperating with the cops, you decide to lean on the victims. There's HUGE DIFFERENCE and anyone ignorant enough try to equate the two are part of the problem.

Ever wonder HOW what happened at Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan did? It's because you have meatheads that put winning a game ahead of basic human decency and were willing to tolerate scumbags in order to do so. The last time I checked, there are dozens of qualified OCs out there, that can provide a compelling product, without being morally bankrupt. I'm not asking for a choir boy, I'm asking for a coach that parents wouldn't be disgusted by. I'm asking for a coach that wouldn't be picketed on campus because they are an enabler of rape.

youre okay with Mullen who was on staff w urban and Zach smith and likely looked the other way when Aaron Hernandez did some ****. just curious. I want to win football games. I can separate the two. football coaches are sometimes ****** people. Andy Reid is a ****** parent. we all know the stuff with dungy and his family life

There's a huge difference between what Briles is KNOWN to have done and what Mullen MAY have done. Mullen may have known Zach Smith was a POS, he may have known that Hernandez was trash, but ultimately, it was Meyer who ran the program and it was him that made the personnel and staff decisions. The head man sets the tone and as we've seen with Briles and his apologist son, the tone is one of "I want to win and if it means some random coeds get raped ,then so be it". There's a reason why no one worth a **** wants Art Briles around.

Mullen as a HC didn't stand for that, and if you look at how he disciplined at Mississippi State and Florida, he showed that he was willing to at least try to run a program that didn't put up with trash behavior. There's a reason why Mullen has a future in coaching, while Briles is coaching HS ball at random stops, and when someone tried to hire him at the collegiate level, the backlash was so incredibly toxic, Hue Jackson had no choice but to back down. Again, why should Miami deal with that, when there are DOZENS of OCs worth a **** that Miami could hire?

There's a huge difference between what Briles is KNOWN to have done and what Mullen MAY have done. Mullen may have known Zach Smith was a POS, he may have known that Hernandez was trash, but ultimately, it was Meyer who ran the program and it was him that made the personnel and staff decisions. The head man sets the tone and as we've seen with Briles and his apologist son, the tone is one of "I want to win and if it means some random coeds get raped ,then so be it". There's a reason why no one worth a **** wants Art Briles around.

Mullen as a HC didn't stand for that, and if you look at how he disciplined at Mississippi State and Florida, he showed that he was willing to at least try to run a program that didn't put up with trash behavior. There's a reason why Mullen has a future in coaching, while Briles is coaching HS ball at random stops, and when someone tried to hire him at the collegiate level, the backlash was so incredibly toxic, Hue Jackson had no choice but to back down. Again, why should Miami deal with that, when there are DOZENS of OCs worth a **** that Miami could hire?
I was More speaking of kendal not art. I thought you meant kendal.

Advertisement
I was More speaking of kendal not art. I thought you meant kendal.
Kendal is a tough one for me. I wouldn't have a beef with him if he hadn't come out and threw victims under the bus in order to defend his father. Maybe I was raised differently, but I was raised by a father that told me that wrong is wrong, even if it's family doing it. Kendal likely knew what was going on, and had he just shut up and kept it moving, I think he would have been better off long term. Would I be disgusted with him? Not as much as I would be with hiring Art, but I think that Kendal isn't such a gifted playcaller to where I'm willing to live with his baggage. I can get Jason Candle or Graham Harrell without that baggage. I can even get Mullen without that baggage.

This is enough Mario. Pull the cord. Do not wait. Fire him. If Enos wasn't good enough for Manny then Gattis should not be for you. Just look below at this. It is appalling. We are running **** near 80 plays and cant muster any better result on a yards per play basis. Our passing game is less explosive. We score less in the 1st quarter, less in the 1st half and we don't protect the QB at all.

TL/DR - Gattis is Enos 2.0 and may be worse...

Untitled.png

Kendal is a tough one for me. I wouldn't have a beef with him if he hadn't come out and threw victims under the bus in order to defend his father. Maybe I was raised differently, but I was raised by a father that told me that wrong is wrong, even if it's family doing it. Kendal likely knew what was going on, and had he just shut up and kept it moving, I think he would have been better off long term. Would I be disgusted with him? Not as much as I would be with hiring Art, but I think that Kendal isn't such a gifted playcaller to where I'm willing to live with his baggage. I can get Jason Candle or Graham Harrell without that baggage. I can even get Mullen without that baggage.
candle turned us down already (w.e. semantics you want to use). were gonna have to fire the entire O staff if we want candle and idk if Mario could fire Ponce and maybe MIrabal (if candle wants his own guy in there).

candle turned us down already (w.e. semantics you want to use). were gonna have to fire the entire O staff if we want candle and idk if Mario could fire Ponce and maybe MIrabal (if candle wants his own guy in there).
Then look at Harrell, Lebby, Mullen, etc. Mirabal is a **** good OL coach, I would assume that a quality OC wouldn't have a problem with him staying. The rest of the offensive staff I don't care about. That said, I would expect a quality OC to either have upgrades in mind, or leave the guys that are solid in place.

Advertisement
Then look at Harrell, Lebby, Mullen, etc. Mirabal is a **** good OL coach, I would assume that a quality OC wouldn't have a problem with him staying. The rest of the offensive staff I don't care about. That said, I would expect a quality OC to either have upgrades in mind, or leave the guys that are solid in place.
im sure no one would have an issue but again guys may want their own people to come with them if theyre leaving their School. its not unheard of. its also something we may have to compromise on. not saying thats what wed have to do. for me, as long as Mario is here, idc who is coaching the OL. libby just got to OU and is an OU alum. I dont see him leaving

This is enough Mario. Pull the cord. Do not wait. Fire him. If Enos wasn't good enough for Manny then Gattis should not be for you. Just look below at this. It is appalling. We are running **** near 80 plays and cant muster any better result on a yards per play basis. Our passing game is less explosive. We score less in the 1st quarter, less in the 1st half and we don't protect the QB at all.

View attachment 213278
This is earth shattering now I'm convinced.

Advertisement

View attachment 213278
What jumps out to me are the rankings for plays per game (7th) and TOP (27th) compared with scoring. Somehow we’re able to control and move the ball well enough until the point that we need to get it into the end zone.

Advertisement
Back