Tears Gator Tears

Florida fans not happy with me making fun of UF for not educating players on NIL. This is a bad look how does a player sign a deal this stupid. LolView attachment 254524
That’s what I was afraid of. College kids signing away portions NFL earnings for cash now.

Advertisement

Here’s comes the rationalizations and false hope

Inhale Loda GIF by Alliance

It would be interesting to see the full text of the contract.

If someone gives you an advance on something that is illegal, do you have to pay it back? Should be fun.

We've seen record companies and book publishers give advances on work that takes years and years and might never be published (cough, cough, George RR Martin, I kid, I kid).

I wonder if the court will say "fine, you cannot collect against his football paychecks, but feel free to demand a portion of his endorsements, etc."
Or maybe the court would say “your contract, your risk, your loss”.

Advertisement
Wisconsin fans: "We're so glad Mertz transferred. He never was going to be the answer."

UF fans before Thursday: "Once he gets to UF and we surround him with good talent and good offensive coaching, he'll be much improved."

UF fans now: "Be patient. Mertz just needs a little time to get comfortable."

UF fans in a couple weeks: "Billy needs to play the back-up QB. Mertz ain't working out."
The glorious thing is their backup QB makes Mertz look like Brady

Advertisement
Wisconsin fans: "We're so glad Mertz transferred. He never was going to be the answer."

UF fans before Thursday: "Once he gets to UF and we surround him with good talent and good offensive coaching, he'll be much improved."

UF fans now: "Be patient. Mertz just needs a little time to get comfortable."

UF fans in a couple weeks: "Billy needs to play the back-up QB. Mertz ain't working out."
They know the backup situation is worse. They’re simply hoping to hold on for fear life to Lagway

That’s what I was afraid of. College kids signing away portions NFL earnings for cash now.

Yeah, there needs to be regulation or something to protect these guys or have a central clearing house which approves amateur athlete’s monetary deals because this will be like the local Miami record industry in the 80’s. Unsophisticated, poor people will get pillaged

Or maybe the court would say “your contract, your risk, your loss”.
It’s possible. Just because a contract is illegal under NCAA rules doesn’t make it invalid or illegal under civil law which isn’t subject to the NCAA rules.

The problem I see, looking at it broadly, is not so much the contract but the non-reporting of income.

Advertisement
It’s possible. Just because a contract is illegal under NCAA rules doesn’t make it invalid or illegal under civil law which isn’t subject to the NCAA rules.

The problem I see, looking at it broadly, is not so much the contract but the non-reporting of income.
I would be surprised if the $436K wasn’t reported. This would have serious ramifications for both sides, and neither would want to go to court. I would assume the court would want to see paperwork for the payments, and might notice no tax withholding or a 1099. I don’t know how it would be reported.

If I read the article correctly, the lawsuit is charging the contract invalid because it violates state law.

Dexter’s legal challenge alleges that BLA violated Florida’s athlete agent act and NIL law, shedding light on the complexities and potential pitfalls of the evolving NIL landscape.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would be surprised if the $436K wasn’t reported. This would have serious ramifications for both sides, and neither would want to go to court. I would assume the court would want to see paperwork for the payments, and might notice no tax withholding or a 1099. I don’t know how it would be reported.

If I read the article correctly, the lawsuit is charging the contract invalid because it violates state law regarding athlete registration and representation, or something to that effect. Again, I’m not a lawyer.

Dexter’s legal challenge alleges that BLA violated Florida’s athlete agent act and NIL law, shedding light on the complexities and potential pitfalls of the evolving NIL landscape.
Ok well, this is something though if it’s violating a state law as you’re pointing out.

Advertisement
Back