Tears Gator Tears

One of two things are gonna happen moving forward with the gators.

They get in the NIL game or they stand pat and it screws them badly with recruiting.
And even so, this has to do damage on the Recruiting side as to trust. Personally, I think these boosters are going to bail out on future NIL

Advertisement
1673620710384.jpeg

The GC's new marketing campaign.

Is that middle exit of the three dedicated to that metropolis?

Exit 352 is the middle exit for Ocala. There's a Wawa about a quarter-mile down on the right side. My semi-occasional last stop before hitting Bucees in Warner Robins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anyone know if we have any chance to go after Legway and get him to flip?
I’d much rather have him than Rashada.
Any interest or chance there?

The person on the board who knows Lagway said that we did not return calls.

So unless we can pin ALL the blame on Gattis/Ponce, I'm not sure he will be very interested.

Some of these smaller programs have money too lets not forget. I think he would be better off going that route. **** call up Deion. He doesnt seem to want to live in Gainesville if as @Cribby said he was hitting us up before signing day. Weird behavious after he was committed. He thought we running some joke down here. I know we sucked on the field, but u want recruits and transfers to not take you seriously, allow what is happening at UF right now. Thats gonna have an impact on the '24 class too. Book it. I definately do not want him here. We get a QB in '24 and if push comes the shove, you always have the portal.

Rashada needs to make an immediate deal with Deion, telling him "I just want to learn from Shadeur this year".

Colorado's last day to enroll is at least a week past Florida's. West-ish Coast. Easier competition. Big recruiting splash for Deion.

View attachment 224629
These guys are too dumb... Make NIL based on college credit? They still don't understand that NIL is completely outside of the scope of the NCAA and their school. 😂😂😂

Lots of Gator tears gold in this thread by the way.

That Gaytor fan didn't go far enough.

NIL should also be tied to living in an on-campus dorm, buying textbooks from the on-campus bookstore, and taking certain classes. What could go wrong?

I'm sure they will also be calling for the advertising contracts of various celebrities to set variable payments tied to the box office grosses of their latest movies, the sales of their latest albums, and the ratings of their latest TV shows...

Advertisement
been saying the same **** this entire time especially about rashada. No way he is getting close to the amounts people are throwing around.

Uhhhh...amounts can be exaggerated. Timeframes can be exaggerated.

But there have been plenty of 7-figure promises made.

Obviously, since NIL was allowed, there has not been a passage of 3 to 5 years to prove out the sums of money that were ACTUALLY paid.

But 7-figures sums have been promised (and agreed upon). And a few 8-figure promises too, though rare.

Advertisement
He did. But also supported Rashada’s position. 247 is all out shaming UF so they come up with the money promised. It reminded me of Herbstreit’s diatribe about Miami - we all know what that did. Supposedly UF can “stretch” the enrollment to Monday somehow. 247 WANTS Rashada at UF.
A lot of guys at 247 seem to really like Billy Napier. He must be a pretty good dude, but he’s a gator so **** him.

That Gaytor fan didn't go far enough.

NIL should also be tied to living in an on-campus dorm, buying textbooks from the on-campus bookstore, and taking certain classes. What could go wrong?

I'm sure they will also be calling for the advertising contracts of various celebrities to set variable payments tied to the box office grosses of their latest movies, the sales of their latest albums, and the ratings of their latest TV shows...

I think what has everyone frustrated, though, is that the NILs aren't actually about advertising. The Rock gets paid for his name, image, and likeness when a company actually uses one or more of those things. These offers to high school kids are just payments to come play for that school.

Advertisement
I think what has everyone frustrated, though, is that the NILs aren't actually about advertising. The Rock gets paid for his name, image, and likeness when a company actually uses one or more of those things. These offers to high school kids are just payments to come play for that school.

OK, and I can understand that.

But what those people fail to acknowledge is that everyone, at some level, is paid for potential. If not, every contract would be backward-looking and based solely on past performance.

Again, in other sports (soccer, tennis, golf, etc.) there are teen athletes who get endorsement deals when they have not yet won tournaments or titles.

I can still acknowledge that there is some "disguised bull****" running through the current NIL system, particularly in college football. Absolutely.

But I'd also say that...it's going to be incredibly hard to draw lines, and even harder to put the genie back in the bottle. Which is essentially what would happen if any of these Gaytor "ideas" (or other ideas floating around) were enacted.

We could also view it on another level. That compensation (whether direct salary or indirect NIL) is an attempt to compensate for risk and potential injury and the possibility that a particular athletic skill may only last for a short time, or may be impaired to a level where that person is unable to continue and unable to be compensated for it at a higher level.

I see the inconsistencies. I see the hypocrisy. I'm not sure of any fantastic alternative.

By the way...for YEARS...I supported the concept of NCAA TV money and merchandise money being put into a 5-year trust fund that would then start paying out to former college athletes after they left school. That could have gone a long way towards heading off the current NIL-pocalypse.

Now? Good luck.

This is another example why the current state of NIL is insane. Too many of these kids don’t understand why they aren’t getting tons of deals, and then essentially resort to begging on social media.

I will say I’m not a big fan on this form of NIL because I had a feeling situations like Rashada and kids bailing because their “school” isn’t providing NIL opportunities was going to be an issue.

I do believe kids should be able to get what they’re worth. I don’t think Johnny Manziel or Terrell Pryor should be punished for selling autographs, memorabilia, etc. when their play/fame has earned them that right. But I would argue most of these kids barely break even in regards to their tuition, food, housing, apparel, tutoring, etc. I don’t want to name names, but do you guys think the worst player on Miami is worth the physical dollar amount of stuff he’s given for 4-5 here?

I always believed the top 1%, the superstars, the NCAA cover athletes were not getting what they’re worth. But those athletes are rare. Could the quarterback at Indiana University have value to local businesses? Sure, and he would deserve every penny. But too many of these kids think they should be getting above and beyond what their scholarship provides is silly. Will the market self correct over time? Maybe, but right now this feels like the Wild West!

Advertisement
Back