Tears Gator Tears

782A6F6B-073E-4C8C-B09B-82F0E0E4A73C.jpeg
5783310A-C594-44C0-8345-537A28B5632D.jpeg
5B0A51C6-E80A-4744-B523-9442E2A80988.png
6AB96298-1416-44DD-A64C-D67ED1C5D3D6.jpeg

Advertisement
only thing I remember about dak Prescott in college was him getting beat up by a bunch of frat kids. He probably learned more from Tony Romo then he did mullet. Alex Smith is the only impressive player imo, but he didn’t even recruit Smith and only spent two years with him.

It took Alex Smith how long to od anything in the NFL? Guy was straight doo doo for many years so do you give credit to Mullen or the QB coaches he worked woth in the NFL?

It took Alex Smith how long to od anything in the NFL? Guy was straight doo doo for many years so do you give credit to Mullen or the QB coaches he worked woth in the NFL?

alex Smith was a great college player. Mullet coaches in college. He also ended up being the number one overall pick. He is the only player on that list that performed in both college and later on in his nfl career. Imo. Prescott is the opposite was a middle of the pack college guy(4th rounder) who emerged a couple years into nfl career.

Advertisement
alex Smith was a great college player. Mullet coaches in college. He also ended up being the number one overall pick. He is the only player on that list that performed in both college and later on in his nfl career. Imo. Prescott is the opposite was a middle of the pack college guy(4th rounder) who emerged a couple years into nfl career.

so who gets credit for Alex smith

Meyer or Mullet?

I'm leaning towards the guy whos offensive system has made every single QB look good

Advertisement
Riley has been head and shoulders above the rest in the QB recruiting and performance category since taking over OU. I struggle to see where there is a debate in this.

Riley has been head and shoulders above the rest in the QB recruiting and performance category since taking over OU. I struggle to see where there is a debate in this.
Only a hardcore group of gaytor fans think otherwise. Obviously some disagree. I don’t have an idea of percentages at this point.

Advertisement
@Zbrod95 , here are more brain cell killers. Love when they talk about bags.

Wanna hear something funny about all of that nonsense? Mullen was a record breaking recruiter at Miss. St.

Their problem is that their staff is a joke and so is Hova but as I’ve said before, most of that fan base are filled with football illiterates. They care for surface value over actual value. Just look at their recruiting comments.

Advertisement
Wanna hear something funny about all of that nonsense? Mullen was a record breaking recruiter at Miss. St.

Their problem is that their staff is a joke and so is Hova but as I’ve said before, most of that fan base are filled with football illiterates. They care for surface value over actual value. Just look at their recruiting comments.

yep all they care about is how many points they have and will they have a top 5 class....

Man....I read that thread last night and my head nearly exploded. I was just too tired to rip it apart, but I think you nailed it.

Let's just focus on the disparity between what the Gaytors BELIEVE and the actual reality of Dan Mullet as the QB Whisperer...

Tim Teblow. Arguably the largest peg on which Gaytors try to hang the "Mullet has developed loads of QBs" claim. But let's review...Teblow was a top recruit, he was never "underrated". He was a run-first QB who was so beloved in North Florida that he was already starting to displace a QB who, you know, ACTUALLY WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. And then, after "years of development" under Mullet, Teblow was so bad at, you know, ACTUALLY THROWING THE BALL, that he had to get a special QB coach to improve his mechanics prior to the NFL draft.

Who else? Franks, the "Heisman finalist lock" who was actually so bad that Gaytor fans were happy to see him go because Trash had 8 or 9 good games? And Trash will probably be beaten out by a "should-be-a-Power-Five-starter-right-now" Emory Jones? Anyone see a trend here? For the Gaytors, the "better QB" is always the next guy, the next guy, the next guy. And Del Rio has now earned his Gaytor Heisman-winner QB statue by having a couple of good days at Elite 11.

So let's look at all this massive Mullet development (all ratings from Rivals):
Utah - Alex Smith - 2 star (it was Utah in the pre-Pac-12 days)
UF - Chris Leak - 4 star (not recruited by Mullet)
UF - Josh Portis - 4 star
UF - Tim Teblow - 5 star
UF - Cam Newton - 5 star
UF - John Brantley - 4 star
MSU - Tyler Russell - 4 star
MSU - Dylan Favre - 2 star (FAVRE! Only offered a scholarship after JuCo Cam Newton picked Auburn over his old OC)
MSU - Dak Prescott - 3 star
MSU - Nick Schuessler - 2 star (3 star on 247, left MSU after 1 month to walk on at Clemson)
MSU - Cord Sandberg - 4 star (drafted by MLB, later signed to play QB at Auburn)
MSU - Elijah Staley - 3 star (half-brother of Patrick Ewing Jr.)
MSU - Nick Fitzgerald - 2 star (3 star on 247 and ESPN)
MSU - Nick Tiano - 3 star (left MSU after 1 year)
MSU - Keytaon Thompson - 4 star (now in the Portal)
UF - Feleipe Franks - 4 star (not recruited by Mullet, though he is a Heisman finalist lock)
UF - Kyle Trash - 2 star (not recruited by Mullet, but better than Franks, another Heisman finalist lock)
UF - Emory Jones - 4 star (better than Trash who is better than Franks, another Heisman finalist lock)
UF - Jalon Jones - 3 star (lasted 1 semester before sexual assault charges)
UF - Anthony Richardson - 4 star

vs. Mullet NFL draft picks:
---Josh Harris (6th round, Bowling Green) - didn't recruit him, worked with him for 2 years (not including Harris' final year at BG)
---Omar Jacobs (5th round, Bowling Green) - recruited him, didn't ever work with him, Mullet coached 2001-02, Jacobs played 2003-05
---Alex Smith (1st round, Utah) - didn't recruit him, worked with him for final 2 years at Utah
---Tim Teblow (1st round, Florida)
---Dak Prescott (4th round, Mississippi State)

That's it. A total of FIVE quarterbacks drafted into the NFL, two of whom he didn't recruit, and one of whom he never worked with (but recruited). Although I guess Gaytors will try to give Mullet credit for Cam Newton, even though he picked Auburn over his old OC when he transferred back into the SEC.

I mean, let's just start with the obvious. In all of his time at UF, there is no pattern or history of UF quarterbacks being "underrated". And in all of that time, thus far, Teblow is the only one drafted (Cam too, if you want to give Mullet credit for that, and Gaytor fans do). In all those years at MSU, he's only got Dak to show for it.

So for TWENTY YEARS of QB coach, OC, or Head Coach, he's got FIVE draft choices (two he didn't recruit and one he never worked with), and in those twenty years, he has NEVER suffered from Rivals/247 "underrating" his QB choices.

But, yeah, the recruiting services are "biased" against UF and/or Mullet.
So I think Mullen gets a lot out of some very mediocre QB's, but that doesn't make him a qb developer. Riley develops QB's. Mullet is just good at getting production out of them at the college level.

Advertisement
Back