Tears Gator Tears

See, this "huge jumps" issue is important to note.

Gaytors might argue that "hey, they coached up the OLs last year, they can do the same this year". Of course, that is an assumption and it overlooks whether last year's Gaytor OLs were more experienced, or adapted to coaching better than this year's Gaytor OLs. Maybe this year's Gaytor OL will be as good as, if not better than, last year's Gaytor OL. But the limited evidence that we have does not support such a "hopeful" prediction.

In addition, Miami actually made an effort to get 2 top-notch transfer DLs while...the Gaytors did nothing comparable. Except to hope and pray that the guys already on the roster were going to suddenly improve. Maybe summer practice will be magical, but the Gaytor spring practices (and that mighty Gaytor spring game that featured a staged TD pass to Chris Doerring) would not seem to indicate that the top 6 Gaytor OLs are suddenly transformed into world-beaters.

Wife-beaters, maybe. World-beaters, no.

They tried to get Braun and probably other OL.( don’t follow that closely)

For some reason they didn’t want to play for their genius OL coach.

Advertisement
Oh lord, another "I'm so fair, I'm so open-minded" Gaytor defender.

No, transitioning 4 out of 5 new OLs is NOT the same as transitioning 3 out of 4 new DLs. And NO, out DL is NOT "just as unquantified" That's a load of crap.

First of all, OL players tend to stay on the field, as a unit, much more than DL players. Once you put your 5 best OLs on the field, an OC does not rotate in alternate OLs the way that a DC rotates DLs. So when you are replacing 80% of a starting OL, as opposed to 75% of a starting DL, you will TEND to have DLs who have more reps in the prior year.

Second, OL play tends to rely on coordination of efforts, whereas DL play (while somewhat planned) can be much more impacted by individual effort and dominant individual play. A DE who beats an OT to make a sack can often do so on his own, without relying on a playcall or coordination with the other 3 DLs.

More importantly, there are actual statistics that show how "quantified" our DLs are. If you add up the statistical production of our top 3 graduating DLs from 2018, and compare it to our top 3 returning DLs for 2019, you will see that Miami's defensive line (statistically) should not be a huge drop-off:

Graduating top 3 (Willis, Joe Jackson, Odenigbo) - 64 solo tackles, 67 assists, 38 tackles-for-loss, 12.5 sacks
Returning top 3 (Garvin, Patchan, Bethel) - 41 solo tackles, 70 assists, 24.5 tackles-for-loss, 7 sacks

Comparatively, there is a much bigger drop-off when you look at the UF OL. For one thing, the 4 graduating OLs were dominant in their on-field time, 3 started 13 games and the other started 12 games, with all 4 playing the vast majority of the non-garbage-time snaps. Of the top 6 returning UF OLs, 3 of them qualified to redshirt last year, with Delance playing in only 4 games, Bleich playing in only 4 games, and Gouriage playing in only 2 games. Heggie only played in 9 games (Buchanan played in 12 games and Forsythe played in 13 games). So the sum total impact of those 6 returning UF OLs is NOT a lot of snaps, that's for sure. Compared to the top 3 returning UM DLs, who played a much greater percentage of the time when compared to the UF OLs, it is very easy to conclude that the UM DLs are much more ready to step into starting roles when compared to the UF OLs.

Start doing some analysis, instead of making broad bland statements that generalize about "new starters". That's just a meaningless term that doesn't take into account whether "new starters" actually played meaningful time in the prior year.

Oh, and I haven't even factored in our transfers on the DL. Which Gaytor fans are fond of dismissing, when in reality, the Gaytors could have used a massive assist from OL transfers.
If you include Hill to the Dline list he had 3 sacks in 3 games. Had he played the whole season the TFL's and sacks would be similar to our graduates. That's excluding the UCLA transfer. Like you said in more words, there's not going to be a drop off of DL play at UM this season.

Did you guys see Ford last night? He's a freaking monster. People on here still don't give Bethel credit. He's always been stout just not a wow playmaker. Last night Pat said he's benching 415 and squating 525. He's as strong as an ox in a contract year. Let's see how the inexperienced Gators OL's do against big daddy Ford and Bethel as a senior with a ton of experience. Does anyone really believe the UF OL full of inexperienced 3 stars will get push on these guys? I don't see it.

Advertisement
If you include Hill to the Dline list he had 3 sacks in 3 games. Had he played the whole season the TFL's and sacks would be similar to our graduates. That's excluding the UCLA transfer. Like you said in more words, there's not going to be a drop off of DL play at UM this season.

While I tend to agree with you, I would just point out a small difference in "drop-off of DL play" and the evidence of statistics that shows that our DL "non-starters" got plenty of experience last year.

Nothing is a guarantee in life. It is POSSIBLE that our entire DL ****es the bed and plays terribly in 2019. However, the evidence is plentiful (even if one poster only wants to examine "starts") that gives rise to a very reasonable conclusion that our DL is VERY LIKELY to be as good, if not better, than our 2018 DL.

That's all I'm saying. There is analysis, and then there is ANALYSIS. Anyone can say "3 new starters". But if you want to truly analyze what is likely to happen with our 2019 DL, you have to go a bit deeper, which that earlier poster was ill-equipped to do.

Not being a homer here, just trying to use actual statistics, which is not that hard. If only "caneaddict" had made the effort...

Advertisement
Our D line versus the UF O-line is the biggest mismatch of the game. There's a lot of areas both teams stack up fairly evenly but this matchup is all Miami. They'd better hope all those guys who have never played outside of mop-up duty have made huge jumps over the off season.
I wish I could like this comment 1,000 times. The success of their offense last year was entirely based on whether their run game could get 200+ yards in a game and get push up-front. The only P5 game they won with under 200 rushing yards was a 13-6 slugfest against Mississippi State, where the only touchdown was scored on a trick play. In every loss they had, they had less than 200 yards.

Their 2018 offensive line, which was loaded with talent, is miles better than the line they'll be fielding on 8/24. They proved time and time again last year that if their running game could be limited, Franks wouldn't be able to win a game on his arm alone. If we take advantage of this mismatch like we should, we win.

ALLIRINAS!

1563987911456.png

Advertisement
Nick Saban: Before he was a legend in the state of Alabama, Saban was the defensive coordinator for Belichick’s Browns from 1991-1994. He helped Belichick achieve his first winning season as a coach in 1994, going 11-5 and defeating Bill Parcells’ Patriots in the playoffs. Soon afterward, Saban left to become coach of Michigan State, where he would begin his long run of success in the college ranks (starting with the recruitment of Plaxico Burress).

DC to HC? Saban says hi.

Advertisement

We haven't came within TWO td's of beating UGA the last two times we've played them but now we're just going to beat them because the game was competitive at the start of the 4th quarter? I think we can have a great season but i'm definitely keeping my expectations in perspective.

Can we beat Missouri (which will be on the road) before we start talking about being a bootleg Clemson?

**** "scressful"

UnpleasantRapidHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

Serious question for anyone with knowledge. Are those drills the WRs are doing with that company even beneficial? Dragging your feet seems dumb.

Getting my eyes dilated & the last thing I read is (assuming I'm not typing gibberish) "if we really wanted him Dan would get him".

So which is it? Is the sky falling because big dan can't recruit? Or is he letting guys.. HE'S BEEN RECRUITING.. go because he doesn't really want them?

it's whatever narrative suits the occasion....

Advertisement
Back