Gary Patterson...

Why in god's name would he leave TCU for a program with relatively no fanbase, no home stadium, no home field advantage and with little upside compared to a program with little pressure, a loyal fanbase, a great home stadium, a fine recruiting base and stability?

Think about this carefully and answer the question honestly. Patterson will never ever leave for a Miami program that has no advantages beyond a slightly better recruiting base and nothing else.

Miami never had a relatively loyal fanbase, or a home stadium. You have to figure the product on the field brings the fans like it has in the past for Miami

Its much more than a slightly better recruiting base, its the best by far. Would you trade glory at Miami like Howard, Jimmy, Erickson and Butch/Coker saw for comfort at TC ******* U? You have to believe its simply money, and lack of an overwhelming desire to be the best of the best.

Exactly. If the internets were around in 1984 I'm sure many of the same gloomy UM fans would be asking why Jimmy Johnson would leave better fans and a comfortable situation at Oklahoma State to come here. There are some guys driven by winning.

how many assistant coaches or coaches at other programs look at our team and go "man I could tear **** up there"?

just need to have the guts to make the hire

Advertisement
Why in god's name would he leave TCU for a program with relatively no fanbase, no home stadium, no home field advantage and with little upside compared to a program with little pressure, a loyal fanbase, a great home stadium, a fine recruiting base and stability?

Think about this carefully and answer the question honestly. Patterson will never ever leave for a Miami program that has no advantages beyond a slightly better recruiting base and nothing else.

TCU is about 5th in line in the state of Texas on the recruiting hierarchy. That's why. If he wants to compete for NCs every year he would make the jump.

It all comes down to what his aspirations are. Is he a guy who wants to make runs at NCs, or is he a guy who just wants to be pretty comfortable and be a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team?

Like Miami did in the 80's I think Coach Patterson believes he can change this. TCU like Miami sit in a very fertile recruiting ground in the DFW area. With TCU in the BIG12 I think this puts them behind Texas and Texas A&M as far as destination schools in the state. TCU also has a much nicer campus than Baylor. It is not even close either. TCU can be every bit of what Miami was to the state of Florida and Gary Patterson is already a king there.

You're wrong in equating TCU's recruiting base to UM. ****, TCU is at least 4th in the pecking order. They're even behind Oklahoma in the state of Texas.

He's tearing it up at TCU. If he wanted to win a National Championship he would have moved on already, hes not going anywhere. He did get TCU into one of the Power 5 conferences so his job will be slightly easier in terms of recruiting, but TCU is still low in the peking order when it comes to Texas football.

He would absolutely kill it at Miami. He's actually proven he can identify and develop talent and put them in a position to succeed. The guy is the real deal, but he ain't leaving TCU unfortunately.

That middle of the class Big 12 team would kick our rear ends till the sun sets in the east. And Dallas has a ton of talent without the depressing South Florida school systems weighing them down. TCU and Baylor have both found their strides, took them a while after the SWC fell apart and they lost a bit of their identity, but both have bounced back and put money and effort into their programs. Must be nice to be large state school diploma mills.... Oh wait.

What's the difference where the programs stand now? We're assuming Patterson would make Miami better, not stay at the same level they're at now. Any school in the nation would trade South Florida and their depressing school systems as their main recruiting base for theirs. There's a lot of talent in Texas mainly due to volume and size of the state, South Florida talent kicks the crap out of everyone. Many of the kids that have been recruited by Miami the last few years have never even seen Miami succeed and they've still brought in top classes. Would you be willing to bet TCU wins a championship before Miami does?

He's been mentioned on CIS and its predecessors since 2006. I still think he would be an excellent hire here. Definitely one of the better ones we could make.

And no, TCU can't be every bit of what Miami was to the state of Florida. Miami was the first program in the state to go big time and win a title. Miami sits on the most ridiculous concentration of talent in the country. TCU has to deal with Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma--all of those have huge established Texas recruiting bases and all are more successful programs than TCU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some questions for the board, please let me know your thoughts:

1. If you had to guess, what is Al Golden's base salary?

2. Using your answer in #1, what is the difference between Patterson's base salary and Golden's base salary?

3. Using your answer in #2, what is the total difference over 5 years?

4. How many fans does TCU average per game (2013)?

5. How many fans does Miami average per game?

6. Is it easier to recruit South Florida being Miami or Texas being TCU

7. If Miami was winning more games, winning the coastal and the division, would we make more money/revenue/donations?

Bonus Questions: Do you think the additional $$$$ in answer #7 would make up for the difference in #3? Would it be possible that we would have a higher net income after the additional expense?

Last edited:
Some questions for the board, please let me know your thoughts:

1. If you had to guess, what is Al Golden's base salary?

2. Using your answer in #1, what is the difference between Patterson's base salary and Golden's base salary?

3. Using your answer in #2, what is the total difference over 5 years?

4. How many fans does TCU average per game (2013)?

5. How many fans does Miami average per game?

6. Is it easier to recruit South Florida being Miami or Texas being TCU

7. If Miami was winning more games, winning the coastal and the division, would we make more money/revenue/donations?

1. 2.1 mil
2. 1.3 mil
3. 6.5 mil
4. 45,000
5. 47,000
6. South FL being Miami
7. Yes

Advertisement
Miami is in the ACC it's basically a 3-team conference (Clemson, Miami, & FSU. Maybe VT).
Why is Miami included in this group? Ancient history, might have been the original intention of the ACC, null set at this point. Pretty good basketball team though, looking forward to seeing well coached team in orange and green!

Advertisement
I wrote an article lobbying for him when Coker was fired. Still a fan, think we missed our shot.

Same for Briles.

TCU is about 5th in line in the state of Texas on the recruiting hierarchy. That's why. If he wants to compete for NCs every year he would make the jump.

It all comes down to what his aspirations are. Is he a guy who wants to make runs at NCs, or is he a guy who just wants to be pretty comfortable and be a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team?

Like Miami did in the 80's I think Coach Patterson believes he can change this. TCU like Miami sit in a very fertile recruiting ground in the DFW area. With TCU in the BIG12 I think this puts them behind Texas and Texas A&M as far as destination schools in the state. TCU also has a much nicer campus than Baylor. It is not even close either. TCU can be every bit of what Miami was to the state of Florida and Gary Patterson is already a king there.

You're wrong in equating TCU's recruiting base to UM. ****, TCU is at least 4th in the pecking order. They're even behind Oklahoma in the state of Texas.

There isn't an area of the country that has as good of a recruiting base as Miami but DFW isn't far behind. TCU hasn't been in the BIG12 but for a few years and look at the progress they have already made. There is no reason to believe they won't continue to make this progress with Coach Patterson there and their facilities. If they continue to win they will also continue to get better recruits. I think they beat Baylor this weekend which would be in a 3 week period they beat SMU, Oklahoma and Baylor, which are 3 schools they recruit against.

Advertisement
What progress, Andrew? They're still the low guy on the pecking order recruiting in Texas despite being in the Big 12. They've had no success in the Big 12 until this season, and it's still very early. Let's see how the season plays out before assuming TCU is going to the dance.

I don't think we'd be able to get him either, but I always laugh at dudes on here who speak in such concrete terms on stuff they know nothing about. We got guys in here acting like they're married to Patterson and know for sure what he'd do if offered the UM gig.

What progress, Andrew? They're still the low guy on the pecking order recruiting in Texas despite being in the Big 12. They've had no success in the Big 12 until this season, and it's still very early. Let's see how the season plays out before assuming TCU is going to the dance.

I don't think we'd be able to get him either, but I always laugh at dudes on here who speak in such concrete terms on stuff they know nothing about. We got guys in here acting like they're married to Patterson and know for sure what he'd do if offered the UM gig.

My wife graduated from TCU a year ago and was a student athlete so I wouldn't say I know nothing about their athletics department. Based off of my observations the school and the surrounding community are much more united about athletics their UM and Coral Gables. They school is willing to spend money and is located in a good area for recruitment. Patterson is a good coach and I think he believes he can win and win big at TCU.

The arguments why Patterson won't leave are similar to why Petersen wasn't going to leave Boise. While not exactly apples to apples, eventually the opportunity to win big at a bigger program finally brought Petersen from the Smurf Turf to Seattle. He even had a special needs child that was being treated in Boise if I remember correctly. Like I said, not 100% the same, but similar. Patterson's style, development and ultimate success would propel him to rock star status in South Florida and nationally. I just don't think he can reach those heights at TCU. But I also do not believe he will come. I just don't think it's THAT farfetched.

Advertisement
Back