Gary Patterson...

Advertisement
Many wanted him when Shannon was fired. I think I remember hearing he wasn't considering leaving TCU.

He was discussed when Randy was fired too. No reason to think he would give up his job for us this time either. For whatever reasons he seems pretty content. Would love to have him though even the last couple of years when his name was quiet.

He isn't leaving TCU. They can pay him anything we can and he has time to build things since they are fairly new to the BIG 12. Gary is their Joe Paterno.

Advertisement
Patterson, Petersen and Sumlin were some names that the boards at least wanted. It was a little sobering at least for me when the only names in serious contention were Golden, Edsall, Whittingham ect.

Al isn't average...if you take out FAMU and ARK State, we have lost 7 of the past 10 games with top 20 talent....

I would give an appendage to have him here. Only thing that turns me off from him, is that he has stayed at TCU for so long. (Same thing with Chris Petersen when he was at Boise State.)

Anyone who treats UM as a destination job already has a red flag in my eyes.

UM is a springboard; like renting a lamborghini. Come here, mop up SoFla talent, win national championships, and then cash-in.

You just have to be a complete imbecile to ***** it up.

Advertisement
Why in god's name would he leave TCU for a program with relatively no fanbase, no home stadium, no home field advantage and with little upside compared to a program with little pressure, a loyal fanbase, a great home stadium, a fine recruiting base and stability?

Think about this carefully and answer the question honestly. Patterson will never ever leave for a Miami program that has no advantages beyond a slightly better recruiting base and nothing else.

Patterson has found a nice home at TCU. That's all you need to know. Some very good coaches are like that. Others are ladder climbing whores. Whoever will come here and win is fine with me.

FWIW, Patterson was at the top of my list to replace Shannon.

Why in god's name would he leave TCU for a program with relatively no fanbase, no home stadium, no home field advantage and with little upside compared to a program with little pressure, a loyal fanbase, a great home stadium, a fine recruiting base and stability?

Think about this carefully and answer the question honestly. Patterson will never ever leave for a Miami program that has no advantages beyond a slightly better recruiting base and nothing else.

TCU is about 5th in line in the state of Texas on the recruiting hierarchy. That's why. If he wants to compete for NCs every year he would make the jump.

It all comes down to what his aspirations are. Is he a guy who wants to make runs at NCs, or is he a guy who just wants to be pretty comfortable and be a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team?

Miami never had a relatively loyal fanbase, or a home stadium. You have to figure the product on the field brings the fans like it has in the past for Miami

Its much more than a slightly better recruiting base, its the best by far. Would you trade glory at Miami like Howard, Jimmy, Erickson and Butch/Coker saw for comfort at TC ******* U? You have to believe its simply money, and lack of an overwhelming desire to be the best of the best.

Advertisement

Miami never had a relatively loyal fanbase, or a home stadium. You have to figure the product on the field brings the fans like it has in the past for Miami

Its much more than a slightly better recruiting base, its the best by far. Would you trade glory at Miami like Howard, Jimmy, Erickson and Butch/Coker saw for comfort at TC ******* U? You have to believe its simply money, and lack of an overwhelming desire to be the best of the best.

Exactly. If the internets were around in 1984 I'm sure many of the same gloomy UM fans would be asking why Jimmy Johnson would leave better fans and a comfortable situation at Oklahoma State to come here. There are some guys driven by winning.

TCU is about 5th in line in the state of Texas on the recruiting hierarchy. That's why. If he wants to compete for NCs every year he would make the jump.

It all comes down to what his aspirations are. Is he a guy who wants to make runs at NCs, or is he a guy who just wants to be pretty comfortable and be a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team?

Like Miami did in the 80's I think Coach Patterson believes he can change this. TCU like Miami sit in a very fertile recruiting ground in the DFW area. With TCU in the BIG12 I think this puts them behind Texas and Texas A&M as far as destination schools in the state. TCU also has a much nicer campus than Baylor. It is not even close either. TCU can be every bit of what Miami was to the state of Florida and Gary Patterson is already a king there.

Advertisement
The guy is not leaving TCU....UTexas came asking and he turned them down...what makes you think he would come to Miami

That middle of the class Big 12 team would kick our rear ends till the sun sets in the east. And Dallas has a ton of talent without the depressing South Florida school systems weighing them down. TCU and Baylor have both found their strides, took them a while after the SWC fell apart and they lost a bit of their identity, but both have bounced back and put money and effort into their programs. Must be nice to be large state school diploma mills.... Oh wait.

Like Miami did in the 80's I think Coach Patterson believes he can change this. TCU like Miami sit in a very fertile recruiting ground in the DFW area. With TCU in the BIG12 I think this puts them behind Texas and Texas A&M as far as destination schools in the state. TCU also has a much nicer campus than Baylor. It is not even close either. TCU can be every bit of what Miami was to the state of Florida and Gary Patterson is already a king there.

I live in the DFW area and have lived in South Florida. While DFW is a great area to recruit it is not South Florida. Also TCU is behind Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Baylor when it comes to the battle of recruiting for this area.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back