Garin Justice on Joe Rose Show this morning

Advertisement
Cliff notes:

- Coach Justice felt they ran the ball better in scrimmage #2

- Battles for first team are Rivers vs Clark for left guard and Jarrid Williams vs Scaife for right tackle

- Feels Jakai Clark is under-appreciated
“Jakai doesn’t get enough credit, one of the more under the radar consistent guys we’ve had the last two years, is one of the most instinctual linemen we have and is really versatile in what we can do.”

-Navaughn is the true leader in the OL room. Gaynor may do the speaking but Vaughn is the one they all look to.

- Very high on Jalen Rivers. "He's a guy who is going to play alot of ball for us this fall"

-He feels the competition this spring has brought out the best in alot of the guys. It's going to be hard to only put 5 on the field; working on ways to get more guys on the field during games.

- Isaiah Walker: needs to work on getting bigger and stronger.
He’s still underweight and still a guy in the shadows,” Justice said. “Just plugging along in a lot of ways.

“It’s kind of hard for him to break in, he’s a tackle, is progressing. More get in the weight room, let’s get bigger, understand your time is coming. That’s the hardest part, thing we have to manage, we have a lot of guys that really deserve to play, think they deserve to play and they may or may not be wrong.”

- Recruiting big lineman in south Florida isn't always predictable. Some years there are numbers , other years there are none.

Advertisement
Cliff notes:

- Coach Justice felt they ran the ball better in scrimmage #2

- Battles for first team are Rivers vs Clark for left guard and Jarrid Williams vs Scaife for right tackle

- Feels Jakai Clark is under-appreciated
“Jakai doesn’t get enough credit, one of the more under the radar consistent guys we’ve had the last two years, is one of the most instinctual linemen we have and is really versatile in what we can do.”

-Navaughn is the true leader in the OL room. Gaynor may do the speaking but Vaughn is the one they all look to.

- Very high on Jalen Rivers. "He's a guy who is going to play alot of ball for us this fall"

-He feels the competition this spring has brought out the best in alot of the guys. It's going to be hard to only put 5 on the field; working on ways to get more guys on the field during games.

- Isaiah Walker: needs to work on getting bigger and stronger.
He’s still underweight and still a guy in the shadows,” Justice said. “Just plugging along in a lot of ways.

“It’s kind of hard for him to break in, he’s a tackle, is progressing. More get in the weight room, let’s get bigger, understand your time is coming. That’s the hardest part, thing we have to manage, we have a lot of guys that really deserve to play, think they deserve to play and they may or may not be wrong.”

- Recruiting big lineman in south Florida isn't always predictable. Some years there are numbers , other years there are none.
I remember @Liberty City El and myself telling folks “Walker needs a lot of time , for his strength , size and mental side” when they started talking him starting and playing last year.

Advertisement
Surprised to hear that he didn't mention competition between Clark and Gaynor for the starting center. Especially that Justice was just saying how Clark is under appreciated...
Agree, wish Clark was competing with Gaynor. Being a vocal leader is not enough for Gaynor to maintain that position. Not if he is going to be a human turnstyle and get launched into the backfield again this year.

True but remember Scaife played really well when he was at RT two years ago and then put out of position last year. Sounds like we have two really good options, regardless.
I don’t know about really good. ACC caliber, playable tackles at most. until proven otherwise

Been saying this for a while on the CanesInSight podcast (brought to you by CanesWear).

Gaynor, Donaldson and Zion have been identified as our three top guys and get almost all the first-team reps. The battles are at LG and RT.

Things change, but my best guess now is Zion-Rivers-Gaynor-Navaughn-Scaife. Maybe the RT battle gets tighter once Williams comes back from Covid protocols.

Justice also mentioned the possibility of rotations to keep the starting-caliber backups engaged.

Advertisement
Hopefully this means Gaynor has taken off his roller skates and can finally get some push up the middle.
The coaches (Lashlee and Justice) said Gaynor was our second-best OL last year behind Zion.

He’s not the All-Conference center I hoped he would be, but he’s going to look a lot better with better guard play next to him. That was the biggest issue on our line by a mile.

Advertisement
Flying under the radar is the incredible story of Zion Nelson. Lowly rated 240 pound tackle thrown into the fire as a freshman and worked his *** off into arguably one of the best left tackles in the country.
Butch butt cheeks Barry sucked *** as a coach, but he did a pretty job with his evaluations.

IM ok with Scaife at Tackle he's good there and will hold his own, he should never play guard again unless theres a numbers issue. i said a few weeks ago 55 about to do something this year. time to get paid. maybe 2 OL in the first round if he has a great season and keeps his weight in check.

The coaches (Lashlee and Justice) said Gaynor was our second-best OL last year behind Zion.

He’s not the All-Conference center I hoped he would be, but he’s going to look a lot better with better guard play next to him. That was the biggest issue on our line by a mile.
I think the freshman will be AA.

Advertisement
Back