Garin Justice on Joe Rose Show this morning

Cliff notes:

- Coach Justice felt they ran the ball better in scrimmage #2

- Battles for first team are Rivers vs Clark for left guard and Jarrid Williams vs Scaife for right tackle

- Feels Jakai Clark is under-appreciated
“Jakai doesn’t get enough credit, one of the more under the radar consistent guys we’ve had the last two years, is one of the most instinctual linemen we have and is really versatile in what we can do.”

-Navaughn is the true leader in the OL room. Gaynor may do the speaking but Vaughn is the one they all look to.

- Very high on Jalen Rivers. "He's a guy who is going to play alot of ball for us this fall"

-He feels the competition this spring has brought out the best in alot of the guys. It's going to be hard to only put 5 on the field; working on ways to get more guys on the field during games.

- Isaiah Walker: needs to work on getting bigger and stronger.
He’s still underweight and still a guy in the shadows,” Justice said. “Just plugging along in a lot of ways.

“It’s kind of hard for him to break in, he’s a tackle, is progressing. More get in the weight room, let’s get bigger, understand your time is coming. That’s the hardest part, thing we have to manage, we have a lot of guys that really deserve to play, think they deserve to play and they may or may not be wrong.”

- Recruiting big lineman in south Florida isn't always predictable. Some years there are numbers , other years there are none.
This was actually sound truthful

Advertisement
"It's going to be hard to only put 5 on the field; working on ways to get more guys on the field during games."

I don't like hearing stuff like this. How can you not have 5 definitive starters? Championship teams don't rotate offensive linemen through the starting rotation. They need to gel and mesh as almost a hivemind. Put the best 5 out there.

If there aren't 5 definitive starters, that causes alarms to go off. Are they coaching well? Do the players suck? Are they evaluating and recruiting the right players? Are they playing the players in the right spots?

I know its early spring, but these interviews should inspire confidence, not create doubt.

The coaches (Lashlee and Justice) said Gaynor was our second-best OL last year behind Zion.

He’s not the All-Conference center I hoped he would be, but he’s going to look a lot better with better guard play next to him. That was the biggest issue on our line by a mile.
That may be the case but doesn't change the fact that he got bullied at times.

"It's going to be hard to only put 5 on the field; working on ways to get more guys on the field during games."

I don't like hearing stuff like this. How can you not have 5 definitive starters? Championship teams don't rotate offensive linemen through the starting rotation. They need to gel and mesh as almost a hivemind. Put the best 5 out there.

If there aren't 5 definitive starters, that causes alarms to go off. Are they coaching well? Do the players suck? Are they evaluating and recruiting the right players? Are they playing the players in the right spots?

I know its early spring, but these interviews should inspire confidence, not create doubt.
this why i agree i think you have to remember it's spring and your dont want players transferring/ crying about playing time lol. But i do agree come camp we should know who the 5 are and then the other 2-3 guys are.

Advertisement

Welcome to the transfer portal era.... Where coaches have to worry about hurting kids feelings. Generation of kids that need instant gratification or they dip.

I think Searles signed Zion right before he was canned.
App St connection. We also signed ElGammal and Kennedy in desperation that cycle because the Richt O staff stopped recruiting before the season, but Nelson ended up working out.

Definitely coach speak. We lose Williams, Donaldson and Gaynor . We might lose Zion and Scaife. We could lose our entire starting 5 he wants to keep those backups around. Campbell is a quality player, he can find a starting P5 gig elsewhere. Same with Rivers, Clark etc.

Advertisement
If Rivers is who we all think he is, then he needs to snatch Clark's wig. No way he lets that guy take that job.

Our boy Gaynor reminds me of that dude Linder who absolutely got gimped by everyone. Then, the ND DTs ate his face to the point of no recognition Travis the Chimp style forcing Rick to finally put Al "*** Photos" Gall in there, and he was a massive improvement over Linder. Our coaches love Gaynor like Rick loved Linder, but they need to think about upgrading that spot. Maybe Clark is that upgrade at C.

If Rivers is who we all think he is, then he needs to snatch Clark's wig. No way he lets that guy take that job.

Our boy Gaynor reminds me of that dude Linder who absolutely got gimped by everyone. Then, the ND DTs ate his face to the point of no recognition Travis the Chimp style forcing Rick to finally put Al "*** Photos" Gall in there, and he was a massive improvement over Linder. Our coaches love Gaynor like Rick loved Linder, but they need to think about upgrading that spot. Maybe Clark is that upgrade at C.
Clark is honestly probably better than Gaynor @ Center but coaches love Gaynor. He could get destroyed all year and will still play because he’s the “ vocal leader”

Advertisement
I like Scaife at RT better than Williams, too slow of foot IMO. I too wish Clark was battling Gaynor, he's just too weak. Rivers, Donaldson and Nelson a very solid 3

Been saying this for a while on the CanesInSight podcast (brought to you by CanesWear).

Gaynor, Donaldson and Zion have been identified as our three top guys and get almost all the first-team reps. The battles are at LG and RT.

Things change, but my best guess now is Zion-Rivers-Gaynor-Navaughn-Scaife. Maybe the RT battle gets tighter once Williams comes back from Covid protocols.

Justice also mentioned the possibility of rotations to keep the starting-caliber backups engaged.

Fvckin' hilarious. Love ya, DMoney, keep up the good work and make those sponsors happy!

They’re desperate to improve the run blocking. That’s why Scaife is getting consideration at RT. Williams is a solid pass protection guy but is soft in the run game. I’m not concerned with Gaynor at center with Donaldson and Rivers next to him.

Advertisement
Crazy how everyone forgets how fat and terrible Donaldson was the last year he played. Scaife as a Freshman playing Tackle, CIS said his natural position is guard. Now he stunk at guard, CIS thank god Scaife back at his natural position. Can't make this **** up with some of you.
People forget how fat Donaldson was because we saw how incredibly awful the more fit guys were last year. Donaldson was the Butterbean Esch and Scaife/Clark were the ripped guys Butterbean used to sleep.

People forget how fat Donaldson was because we saw how incredibly awful the more fit guys were last year. Donaldson was the Butterbean Esch and Scaife/Clark were the ripped guys Butterbean used to sleep.
Butterbean-Animated-Boxing-GIF.gif

He's still got some stay puff marshmallow fat on him from the scrimmage highlights. But that boy has muscled up underneath the wet suit. If he can just stay the course with diet, strength and conditioning, he's going high in the draft.

$$$$$$$$$. :sideeyes:

True but remember Scaife played really well when he was at RT two years ago and then put out of position last year. Sounds like we have two really good options, regardless.
I guess coach's comment about Scaife doesn't matter. Like Scaife is chop liver at the RT position. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Scaife to win that battle.

Advertisement
Back