game day

Advertisement
Advertisement
Walker, Gak, Wong, Beverly, McGusty, Brooks, Herenton... That's who played for us today. I see two guys that are definitely ACC players (Wong and McGusty), one guy who is a good depth piece (Brooks), two athletes who aren't yet good enough at basketball to compete in the ACC (Walker and Beverly), one guy who will never be good enough to be in the ACC (Gak), and one guy who is a walk on for a reason.

So that's a total of two guys who are legit capable of challenging ACC opponents. The rest are guys that will hurt more than they help at this point. How is that possible? I love Coach L, truly. He gave us the best basketball moments we've had in decades. But holy ****, it's indefensible now. The guy has to go. He's not happy. The kids aren't happy. The team is dreadful. It's actually barely even a team by numbers.

This staff should have been let go several years ago. But, here we are with no direction, and we are getting worse by the minute. Coach L is getting more grace than Coach Morris did. How is that possible? Someone needs to step in and put an end to this disaster. I understand the injuries, but we have been in a downward spiral for years now. Coach L hasn’t given me any indication that he can fix his mess. It is past time to cut our losses. We need to let the whole staff go, and head in another direction.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who is gonna put the heat on the AD to move on from L? Our rapid hoops boosters/fan base? The 10 guys who post here? Being facetious but ... it's truly a mess.

You're asking the wrong questions.

1. Why is the AD employed in this position? He certainly has failed in all aspects of this position. He never, and still isn't, qualified for this position. I will continue to ask this specific question (see here under the dotted line of this post https://www.canesinsight.com/thread...must-happen-next.155660/page-5#post-4398832)?

2. When are we going to have a new AD who is competent, passionate and runs athletics with authomy?

Those are the questions that matter. Athletics have been a mess for a long time. The whole department, for at least 8-10 years, has been utter garbage. If you want to have accountability and standards; Blake James and the BOTs are the complete opposite.

Advertisement
What would Larrañaga’s buyout be? How many years does he have left? Should we stomach another terrible season next year to be able to afford a high priced coach?

IMO, If we want a competitive program we need to move on from this staff, now. Waiting another year is only going to put us further behind. Why would anyone want to join this program now? I wouldn’t be surprised if some of our current players go into the portal at the end of the year. We are looking at a total train wreck at all levels. It doesn’t make any sense to let a 71 year old coach try to rebuild the mess he caused. Moving forward with a new staff is our only viable option.

IMO, If we want a competitive program we need to move on from this staff, now. Waiting another year is only going to put us further behind. Why would anyone want to join this program now? I wouldn’t be surprised if some of our current players go into the portal at the end of the year. We are looking at a total train wreck at all levels. It doesn’t make any sense to let a 71 year old coach try to rebuild the mess he caused. Moving forward with a new staff is our only viable option.
Only way L goes is on his own volition. In other words, when he's good and ready, not on anyone else's timeline. That 's my read.

Coach should have moved on from his staff 3 seasons ago. Below are stats that I posted a few times before.

An interesting stat is Points Allowed Per Season:

With Huger and Konkol

2011-12: 66.1
2012-13: 60.6
2013-14: 59.5
2014-15: 63.3

Average Points Allowed: 62.4 PPG

Without Huger and Konkol (aka Caputo Time)

2015-16: 67.4
2016-17: 64.1
2017-18: 67.8 ==> This is when changes SHOULD have been made. Clearly things are NOT working here.

Advertisement
Back